Banned Cochlear Implants?

Originally posted by GoldenLeaf74
I still wanna ban CI but of course it is alot of debate over CI for years to years for sure!!

Why would you want to ban something that alot of people enjoy? John's Hopkins University did a recent survey to determine the rate of non-use in cochlear implants, meaning they wanted to find out how many people end up not using the CI after they are implanted. On average, they found a rate of 1.3% of people who are implanted end up not using the CI.

There are approximately 60,000 implanted people in the world today. At 1.3% that is about 780 people who ended up not using it, and about 59,220 who do.

Banning it? Good luck....

It will definitely be impossible to ban CI's...

This argument is gonna go on for years and years with no end in sight.

You should remember that it is not ONLY Deaf people who get CI's. Remember about the people who are born hearing and then gradually lose their hearing as they get older. They are technically a hearing person and have the right to keep on wanting to hear, to some extent. They are not going to switch to Deaf culture, Deaf way etc, if they are aged 40+ etc...

Originally posted by caffy
It will definitely be impossible to ban CI's...

This argument is gonna go on for years and years with no end in sight.

You should remember that it is not ONLY Deaf people who get CI's. Remember about the people who are born hearing and then gradually lose their hearing as they get older. They are technically a hearing person and have the right to keep on wanting to hear, to some extent. They are not going to switch to Deaf culture, Deaf way etc, if they are aged 40+ etc...

so you are saying deaf people dont have that right?? as you call it.

Well, deaf people might have the right to ban CIs for Deaf people, but what abt hearing ppl who want it?

Originally posted by caffy
Well, deaf people might have the right to ban CIs for Deaf people, but what abt hearing ppl who want it?

What are you...some kind of deaf nazi?

Who are you to try and ban anything myself or another deaf person wants?

Originally posted by Cain Marko
What are you...some kind of deaf nazi?

Who are you to try and ban anything myself or another deaf person wants?

I don't think she is saying that at all. I think she is saying exactly what you are saying, that we SHOULDN'T ban it, because some people might want it...

Originally posted by Cain Marko
caffy please explain what you mean further....

Umm..maybe you should just read her post again. It's pretty clear I think....

Originally posted by radiohead
Umm..maybe you should just read her post again. It's pretty clear I think....

ummm maybe you should stfu.

This is what she says.

Deaf people might have the right to ban CI's for Deaf people.

To me that states that she thinks deaf people can have the power or right to decide for other deaf people whether a cochlear implant will be available for us to use.

As I mentioned earlier please caffy explain what you mean for us.

You should remember that it is not ONLY Deaf people who get CI's. Remember about the people who are born hearing and then gradually lose their hearing as they get older.
Actually I remember reading somewhere that only about 5% of people are born deaf, and most of those people do have some residual hearing, that can be boosted by hearing aids. Actually according to the Auditory-Verbal site 95% of deaf people do have some useful residual hearing.

Cain Marko said this: so you are saying deaf people dont have that right?? as you call it.

I assumed that the above statement was referring to me saying it will be hard to ban cochlear implants, because it is not only Deaf people who use it...etc etc and i thought Cain Marko's reply was asking if Deaf people didn't have the right to ban it.

Sorry for the confusion - I didn't write my posting clearly. It should have been more along the lines of: It shouldnt be banned. It's up to people if they want it or not. Deaf people should have more say in Deaf issues rather than hearing people.

Is it more clearer now? Please let me know,
thanks,
caffy

Why would you want to ban something that alot of people enjoy? John's Hopkins University did a recent survey to determine the rate of non-use in cochlear implants, meaning they wanted to find out how many people end up not using the CI after they are implanted. On average, they found a rate of 1.3% of people who are implanted end up not using the CI.

There are approximately 60,000 implanted people in the world today. At 1.3% that is about 780 people who ended up not using it, and about 59,220 who do.

I think that survey was biased. Of all the people I know, the number of Deaf people with CIs and do not use them are greater than the number of those who do use CIs regularly.

I am against CI but it's people's matter of choices and I rather respect that unless I have authority to make the final decison... hmmm talk to me later...

Originally posted by Deaf258
I think that survey was biased. Of all the people I know, the number of Deaf people with CIs and do not use them are greater than the number of those who do use CIs regularly.

It wasn't at all biased. It was an objective survey using patients, audiologist and statistics from the FDA and the Deafness Research foundation and the NAD.

This was an actual study- not based on the people you know. I don't think you can cite statistics based on "the people I know." If that were the case, then the people that I know use it more than the people who don't. :roll:

I dont think C.I. is necessary for the children who lost their hearing. It is better for them to wait until they get older and then they can get it for themselves. It can be useful for old people who lost their hearing. BUT definitely not for younger child!! It's too risky for them to have it!! Some parents consider a child who has C.I. as hearing person. they are still deaf, anyway. I'm strongly against it!!

i def 100% well no 1 TRILLION% against CI! my grandparents tried to make my parents to give me ci and my parents said no but they said in diffrent way, how abt hearing aids? i got it instead but know what happened? i thew it away!

noises r annoying and too much of headaces! all i hear is FSADFSDFSDFSDFAS.. so worthless to have hearing aids or CI for me.

but other ppl i dunt give a shit. if they like it.. fine. if they dont, stop using it.

umm i would like to know what their questions was.. maybe those deafies r passive they dont wanna people who paid for their CI for nothing and lied saying yes? umm? are those people on the oath huh? maybe that is not nesscary but still u know? people can lie to surveys. or maybe some people still use CI for like work or whatever and after that in their free time, will they use it? PLUS.. most younger children gets implated can they TALK? their parents prolly ans the questions or being with them during their survey. how can u think the little kids feel the pressure from parents being with the kid? so THINK twice..

we still can BAN IT!

Originally posted by xfastpitch
I dont think C.I. is necessary for the children who lost their hearing. It is better for them to wait until they get older and then they can get it for themselves. It can be useful for old people who lost their hearing. BUT definitely not for younger child!! It's too risky for them to have it!! Some parents consider a child who has C.I. as hearing person. they are still deaf, anyway. I'm strongly against it!!

:thumb: yea it happen to me my mom asked me if i want ci and i told her big word NO bec i'm proud to be myself and it my life :cool:

I'm actually kinda neutral on CI. Back when hearing aids first became popular a lot of people thought that hearing aids would destroy Deaf culture. Yet, here we still are. I don't nessarly think they should be banned, but I do think they should be restricted. Late deafened people and kids who may have lost their hearing post or perilingally (during language aquastion) SHOULD be eligable for CI no matter what. Research has shown that most of those people do best with CI b/c they've had exposure to sound. Their brain knows how to accurately process sound like a hearing person. However those of us who were VERY early deafened and born deaf very often don't have that advantage. . We still have a certain amount of Central Auditory Processing Disorder...I have a lot more to say on this topic...but I gotta run.

Back