Audism examples

I never been told that from any of my churches (Especially about how deaf is bad, God don't like me, etc. ), but I have been told once that if I pray hard enough, I could get my hearing. People have told me that they pray for a cure, but this is from outside of my church. Usually I tell them that God blessed me with deafness, therefore he is the only one who I want to make me hearing. no one else.

People tell me if I pray I will see/hear perfectly again too. I honestly don't get what kind of thinking spawns such faulty logic. My usual reply is I know a lot of deaf/blind/db people with a whole lot of faith so why are they still deaf/blind?

Wow. I don't know what would piss me off more... the drivel out of his mouth or the fact that he not only stopped her communication, but grabbed her to do so. That's way out of line. I honestly don't think I would be able to control myself at that point. What did you do?

My daughter, my wife, and all the women in my family are very capable people. I never interfere in any situation in their lives unless they ask me too, or I am convinced they simply cannot handle the situation alone.

I cannot say the same for her brothers, nephews; not to mention some of the other women in our family are scrappers, etc. Had some members of the family been there it would have been ugly.

Both I, and my daughter, (she is an officer of the court) were aware he could technically have been arrested for assault. By law you cannot just walk up and grab someone, any part of them, including their hands -- unless perhaps they are having an epileptic fit and you know what you are doing.

By the time she was done he was apologizing and promising to give respect to Deaf and Sign Language in the future. Whether he did it or not we have no way of knowing. She had passers by and his fellow workers laughing at him, and overall did very well for herself and her beliefs. More important to us than her confrontation with him -- She made a good, and lasting, impression on those people who observed the episode.

"Getting deaf children implanted is giving them a better life"

From a post in another thread.

Wirelessly posted

shel90 said:
"Getting deaf children implanted is giving them a better life"

From a post in another thread.

LOL.

You can get audist examples from almost every post by that person.

Here is one of many examples, A friend of mine was pulled over by a cop and this cop told him he can not drive because he is deaf.

YouTube - aslnikki's Channel <---- here what I was talking about. Never mind what sign is what... but WHY the hearing father trust the hearing deaf ed teacher over two deaf people? Is it because he feel the hearing know better than deaf people?
I remember meeting a young hearing girl whom her dream of becoming deaf teacher and it got me upset becauseI wanted to be a teacher too but being raised in oral made me illerate in my English writing. I said nothing to her and pretend to be cool with it. We do not need a hearing teachers who sign bad.

Here is one of many examples, A friend of mine was pulled over by a cop and this cop told him he can not drive because he is deaf.

In California?...did the cop actually "mean" the deaf person could not drive...(reckless, etc.)....OR just becuz he was deaf?...Cops have actually said "Learn how to drive!"....so I'm wondering about the "meaning" here...

My daughter and I were in another town and were talking, signing, to each other. We both hear and sign. In a strange town we always sign so anyone D/deaf, HOH, or other in the signing community sees us they will know we sign and can approach us if they choose.

We are in a mall passing a stand when one of the sales people reaches out and grabs my daughter's hands to stop her from signing.

She told him to leave her alone.

He said, "Well if you can talk you don't need that stuff."
Aww another nosy ones. Must felt left out when we sign to eachother. That is so lame.

I don't know if these count as Audist but I wanted to share.

Were you born like that/How long have you been deaf/Have you always been deaf- I know it's just curiousity but it feels rude to me.

'You can't tell' or 'I didn't even notice' or the dreaded 'You seem fine to me'- well, thanks, I think, but I can tell, and I put in effort to follow your talking. So what if you could tell? Should I care? I think somebody said once that I didn't need my hearing aids, that I was fine. I don't know if that's being Audist but it upset me.

At school, I got extra time for exams. It frustrated me no end when the other teenagers would ask 'Why do you get extra time? You don't need to hear to do the exam.'

In California?...did the cop actually "mean" the deaf person could not drive...(reckless, etc.)....OR just becuz he was deaf?...Cops have actually said "Learn how to drive!"....so I'm wondering about the "meaning" here...
Honestly This cop do not believe deaf people should drive at all. My friend did not get a ticket and his son was intreptering what cop told him. I was outrage and asked my friend did you get the name of cop who pulled him over. He never got his name. Oh well.

I don't know if these count as Audist but I wanted to share.

Were you born like that/How long have you been deaf/Have you always been deaf- I know it's just curiousity but it feels rude to me.

'You can't tell' or 'I didn't even notice' or the dreaded 'You seem fine to me'- well, thanks, I think, but I can tell, and I put in effort to follow your talking. So what if you could tell? Should I care? I think somebody said once that I didn't need my hearing aids, that I was fine. I don't know if that's being Audist but it upset me.

At school, I got extra time for exams. It frustrated me no end when the other teenagers would ask 'Why do you get extra time? You don't need to hear to do the exam.'
I remember my friend and I went to door to door to sell candy for school, this lady does not believe we were deaf. I shrugged and walk away. This does not bother me but if others tell me I can not do this because I am deaf then i felt alike I want to hit their faces. .

Honestly This cop do not believe deaf people should drive at all. My friend did not get a ticket and his son was intreptering what cop told him. I was outrage and asked my friend did you get the name of cop who pulled him over. He never got his name. Oh well.

If the cop made the remark just because he was just "deaf" driver...I would be angry too....but if the cop made the "remark" because he made a wrong turn, ran a light, or broke any driving rules (in a careless manner)...then that's different....

If the cop made the remark just because he was just "deaf" driver...I would be angry too....but if the cop made the "remark" because he made a wrong turn, ran a light, or broke any driving rules (in a careless manner)...then that's different....
This cop made a very clear to my friend that he should not drive at all because he is deaf.

I remember meeting a young hearing girl whom her dream of becoming deaf teacher and it got me upset becauseI wanted to be a teacher too but being raised in oral made me illerate in my English writing. I said nothing to her and pretend to be cool with it. We do not need a hearing teachers who sign bad.

I have the same frustration as you do.

My daughter and I were in another town and were talking, signing, to each other. We both hear and sign. In a strange town we always sign so anyone D/deaf, HOH, or other in the signing community sees us they will know we sign and can approach us if they choose.

We are in a mall passing a stand when one of the sales people reaches out and grabs my daughter's hands to stop her from signing.

She told him to leave her alone.

He said, "Well if you can talk you don't need that stuff."

:eek: That's so rude.

I got that a lot, especially from blind services. We'd be sitting in a dead quiet room with them right next to me talking a few inches away from me. "You seem fine to me." Well, yeah, but insert any background noise or weird accent and I won't be "fine" anymore. You'd think blind services, who is also in charge of deaf/blind services, would have a better understanding of hearing loss than that. :roll:

People who enunciate words in an exaggerated manner and think that helps the situation. :roll: It only serves to make it harder to understand what they are saying.

Yeah, CJB, maybe they're trying to be polite/complimentary but I never know what to say to it. 'Well I'm not, honest'? or 'Yeah, I just make it up for fun.' Yes, you'd think deafblind services would understand. Mostly it's the general public who say 'You can't tell.' - they think it's a compliment in some way. Perhaps it's pleasing to them that I concentrate very hard and lipread so that they have no idea? So as not to inconvenience them..

I just tell them that they don't know how much faith I have and ask if they heard from G_d that he doesn't like deaf people. Usually gets them to shut up real quick. Just hasn't worked on my MIL.

I'm glad my granddaddy Smith was never like that. He was a preacher.

People tell me if I pray I will see/hear perfectly again too. I honestly don't get what kind of thinking spawns such faulty logic. My usual reply is I know a lot of deaf/blind/db people with a whole lot of faith so why are they still deaf/blind?

Yeah I agree that makes no sense....

Back