Audism examples

JennyB

Reaction score
I need some examples of audism. Spefically ones that hearing youth may identify with. Go!

"You must be so smart because you speak so well!"

Wirelessly posted

Haha...

I get asked where in Germany I am from, then when I say I grew up in Alberta all my life and explain I am deaf:

"Oh you speak so well!"

Examples of audism that a hearing youth would identify with?

Um, "your parents speak so well!" "... But it must be tough taking care of their communication needs!"

My BIL actually asked if deaf people can drive. *head desk*

I get the "oh you speak so well too." But people don't consider the difference between pre-lingual and post-lingual either when they tell me that comment.

Another example: "Oh my god I'm so sorry!"

Wirelessly posted

Haha...

I get asked where in Germany I am from, then when I say I grew up in Alberta all my life and explain I am deaf:

"Oh you speak so well!"

I guess nearly all of us get that often.

For me, it is the association of my intelligence with my ability to speak well that I really hate because as a child I became paranoid about speaking so perfectly so I wouldn't get labeled dumb.

It is audism.

Wirelessly posted

I really hate how if I write in English to communicate to the clerks, I get the disability discount.

I made it a point to speak French after I get those discounts, then they normally ask me to pay in full.

:wtf:

I guess nearly all of us get that often.

For me, it is the association of my intelligence with my ability to speak well that I really hate because as a child I became paranoid about speaking so perfectly so I wouldn't get labeled dumb.

It is audism.

Exactly. Everything we do and say, we have fear of not being intelligent enough for them because we are deaf.

I can not believe what the hearing people say especially my husband's family say that my voice is not funny. But guess what? My niece took a home movie of me talking away to anyone who listen to me. With my hearing aid (only one I have is on the left ear) and totally deaf on the right ear, I was shocked to hear my voice talking very funny and not clear. Now I am wondering why they think I talk so well and think I don't have a funny voice. Hmf. That is audism.

Maybe they want us to use voice and speak without the sign language like ASL. I don't know.

Last edited:
I can not believe what the hearing people say especially my husband's family say that my voice is not funny. But guess what? My niece took a home movie of me talking away to anyone who listen to me. With my hearing aid (only one I have is on the left ear) and totally deaf on the right ear, I was shocked to hear my voice talking very funny and not clear. Now I am wondering why they think I talk so well and think I don't have a funny voice. Hmf. That is audism.

Maybe they want us to use voice and speak without the sign language like ASL. I don't know.

I know what you mean. people have done that to me as well. It is really confusing why some people asked me why I talk funny, or made fun of me, while others say I speak well (or seem impressed) when I tell them I'm deaf. Why does it all have to do with speech?

I know what you mean. people have done that to me as well. It is really confusing why some people asked me why I talk funny, or made fun of me, while others say I speak well (or seem impressed) when I tell them I'm deaf. Why does it all have to do with speech?

I have told so many here, especially those who advocate for oralism, that sometimes speech becomes such a focal point of our lives and we seem to cant get a separate identity from it. It sucks.

I think they love you, and to them your voice is okay.

People outside my family usually can't understand me, but my family thinks I am great.

I think she was talking about people outside of her family... They tell her Husband her voice is not so bad. What made them bring it up in the first place, Bebonang?

Coming from a hearie point of veiw:

The term "deaf & dumb" is still being used, unfortunately. Even in this horribly PC world we live in. Most hearing people assume that deaf people have less intelligence because of this term. It annoys me to no end.

Sometimes I wonder if some people straight out lie and tell people with strong deaf voices that their speech sounds perfect, in an attempt to make the deaf person "feel better."

Sometimes I wonder if some people straight out lie and tell people with strong deaf voices that their speech sounds perfect, in an attempt to make the deaf person "feel better."

That's true, but they bring it up for absolutely no reasons, and I didn't even ask them how I sound. All I told them is that I'm deaf. Maybe they feel sorry for me and trying to find something positive about it. Just about every one of them brought up speech to me. I just can't see why it is so important.

Back