Audism examples

Wirelessly posted

CJB said:
If you ask deaf people who don't use speech at all what they think audism is, it is usually related to people's attitude toward ASL. I think we have a different view what audism is because we do use our voice.

Anything anti-ASL is audist because ASL and Deaf culture are very strongly correlated, and even though there are Deaf people that only use their voice, that strong correlation still needs to be taken into account.

True, but people also say the same thing about interpreters. "Why are you learning ASL? No one will hire an ASL interpreter."

Dunno, I guess I don't see anti-ASL as audist since I can relate to how people discriminate against French.

"Why are you teaching him French? It won't get him a job." That's what monolingual Albertans used to say to mom.

If you are talking about between cued speech and ASL (visual language vs. Visual language... or spoken language vs. spoken language), I understand... But I was talking about spoken vs. visual.

Wirelessly posted

Look up the definition of audism before comparing the modes of the language.

Discrimination based on hearing status.

Wirelessly posted

right, and there are those who think spoken is superior to visual language. Visual language is a language that some deaf people can access to freely because they can't hear (little to none at all). Those who think spoken language is better will put down visual language, listing all the reasons why they shouldn't use it (like saying ASL will not help you with jobs) and why they should learn how to use spoken language instead. They also worry how visual language will hinder their precious spoken language in deaf people. I am not talking about people who feel they have no access to ASL... I'm talking about people who do have access but choose not to use it because of those reasons.

While it is true that not everyone know ASL or other visual language and how it make it harder to find jobs, it still should not be treated as worthless, or not worth learning, because there are deaf people who can not hear use that language.

deaf and being visual go hand in hand... it shape the whole person

Most racist people would say, "I'm not racist: I just don't like their taste (they would ask other white people why they are playing N-word musics which is disgusting when they ask a question in such a way), so if black people want a better job, they should act and dress like white people" These people ARE being racist. Same with hearing people with their attitude toward ASL

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

A said:
souggy said:

right, and there are those who think spoken is superior to visual language. Visual language is a language that some deaf people can access to freely because they can't hear (little to none at all). Those who think spoken language is better will put down visual language, listing all the reasons why they shouldn't use it (like saying ASL will not help you with jobs) and why they should learn how to use spoken language instead. They also worry how visual language will hinder their precious spoken language in deaf people. I am not talking about people who feel they have no access to ASL... I'm talking about people who do have access but choose not to use it because of those reasons.

While it is true that not everyone know ASL or other visual language and how it make it harder to find jobs, it still should not be treated as worthless, or not worth learning, because there are deaf people who can not hear use that language.

deaf and being visual go hand in hand... it shape the whole person

Most racist people would say, "I'm not racist: I just don't like their taste (they would ask other white people why they are playing N-word musics which is disgusting when they ask a question in such a way), so if black people want a better job, they should act and dress like white people" These people ARE being racist. Same with hearing people with their attitude toward ASL

The issue is not covert discrimation.

The issue is that everyone faces at least two type of discrimations. For deaf people: audism and linguicism. Since the big D also have a culture, they are also facing ethnocentrism-- a triple whammy.

Worse still if they happen to be female (sexism), and of visual minority (racism.)

I faced audism all weekend (people dumbing themselves down), and a bit of linguicism (people mocked ASL) yesterday.

Last edited:
"I dont think this is the right career for you because you will be dealing with people and your deafness will prevent that"

VR counselor telling me that when I was 18 years old and considering a career in Interior Designing.

And I was raised orally for the purpose to "assimiliate" in the hearing world. That was my first of many slaps in my face I got about not being "hearing" enough.

Pulling you in and pushing you out at the same time, eh?

I have heard how a hearing person thinks he can improve/teach ASL because he can hear. or can do deaf study better because he can hear.

What I'm getting more and more these days is: "You must not have enough faith since you haven't been healed of your hearing loss yet, don't you know your Heavenly Father doesn't like Deaf people?" I just reply, has he specifically told you this are are you just assuming it to be true?

My all time favorite was the well meaning but completely ignorant woman in Walmart who say my son and me signing to each other. First she asked if he was deaf. When I replied "yes", she asked me to tell him that if he prayed hard enough God would heal him. I told her she could tell him herself. So, she got close to my son's face and repeated it. He got a puzzled look on his face, and signed, "I'm not sick.":laugh2:

He was about 6 or 7 when this happened. It is one of my all time favorite stories of stupid things people say to deaf kids.

... she asked me to tell him that if he prayed hard enough God would heal him. I told her she could tell him herself. So, she got close to my son's face and repeated it. He got a puzzled look on his face, and signed, "I'm not sick.":laugh2:

He was about 6 or 7 when this happened. It is one of my all time favorite stories of stupid things people say to deaf kids.

I would likely have gone off on her. People like that make me so mad. Telling any child if they pray hard enough they will be healed. So when the child prays and prays, thinking he's not good enough to be healed... GRRRR!!!!

I would likely have gone off on her. People like that make me so mad. Telling any child if they pray hard enough they will be healed. So when the child prays and prays, thinking he's not good enough to be healed... GRRRR!!!!

Yeah...that is definately the message someone like that gives. But then, they think the deaf are inferior anyway.

I thought my son handled her pretty well, so I didn't feel the need to jump in.:giggle: Frankly, I think he made her look like the poor ignorant soul she was.:lol:

Yeah...that is definately the message someone like that gives. But then, they think the deaf are inferior anyway.

I thought my son handled her pretty well, so I didn't feel the need to jump in.:giggle: Frankly, I think he made her look like the poor ignorant soul she was.:lol:

That is a good thing. If I could calm down fast enough, I have a ready response for idiots and bigots of that caliber; If God is the only means of creation, and of course, God is never wrong, then (he she it etc) was created the way God intended.
Various forms of that reply.

That is a good thing. If I could calm down fast enough, I have a ready response for idiots and bigots of that caliber; If God is the only means of creation, and of course, God is never wrong, then (he she it etc) was created the way God intended.
Various forms of that reply.

Agreed. We have always taken the attitude that my son is deaf for a reason, and I was made the parent of a deaf child for a reason.

Wirelessly posted

Now, I am afraid to go to America now with all these stupid audist religious reasonings.

:roll:

Wirelessly posted

Now, I am afraid to go to America now with all these stupid audist religious reasonings.

Don't worry, souggy! I'll protect you from the fire and brimstone!:lol:
And they are in the minority.

Wirelessly posted

I never been told that from any of my churches (Especially about how deaf is bad, God don't like me, etc. ), but I have been told once that if I pray hard enough, I could get my hearing. People have told me that they pray for a cure, but this is from outside of my church. Usually I tell them that God blessed me with deafness, therefore he is the only one who I want to make me hearing. no one else.

Wirelessly posted

LOL Don't forget... the stupid religious reasoning is everywhere. Fanatics and bigots who preach that their god is better than your god, yadda yadda yadda. Crusades anyone? I have no problems with people's religious practices as long as it doesn't effect my agnostic universe. It just amazes me that an adult would tel a little kid that.

This just recently happened to me. It's been within the last week to 3 years. At more than 1 church in more the 1 state. Both family members and friends at church or home.

This just recently happened to me. It's been within the last week to 3 years. At more than 1 church in more the 1 state. Both family members and friends at church or home.

What do you do when that happens?

Back