ASL with no fingerspelling

No.. hint: follow the money trail

You really don't believe that discrimination could be part of the problem? Really? So, ASL Deaf people get discriminated against, and that is a factor in their high unemployment numbers, but it is unrelated to the blind? :shock:

Wirelessly posted

No one knows how high unemployment is among ASL Deaf. People just know how high it is among the overall "hearing loss" crowd.

You really don't believe that discrimination could be part of the problem? Really? So, ASL Deaf people get discriminated against, and that is a factor in their high unemployment numbers, but it is unrelated to the blind? :shock:

:) I grew up with blind people..

And it's not just ASL deaf..... :)

I am totally derailing this thread but....

I KNOW there is discrimination towards deaf people (and other people with disabilities), but most of the time, it is not intentional. Hearing people just have a lot of preconceived notions. I am starting to get involved with disability awareness groups, working more with HR people than with deaf people. They honestly do not have a clue about ANYTHING.

Sometimes I wonder if parents think "Oh man.. I know how hearing people treat deaf people, because I used to be one of them." and want them to "look and act" like a hearing person in order to "make it easier" on them in the long run.

Perhaps they have no faith in the deaf culture/world to prepare their child to be strong enough being "different" in the real world of working adults, because hearing people know how other hearing people see the culturally deaf.

So it's either make your child conform to the hearing world. Or make your child make others conform to their own world. Well not so much conform but make society "understand" where they are coming from.

That's why PFH (and others Im sure) wants hearing people to learn ASL. I'm sure other deaf people are working hard to find a way to make this happen. This is one step for others to gain "understanding" and meet in the middle.

It's an interesting concept really... it can apply to anything that can make someone "different". For example, a gay couple deciding to have a child. Some people argue "How can you do that to your child? Your child will have to go through "being different"." So should your child be the "pioneer" and go through difficulties in order to make society accept gay adoptions? That kind of thing.

I'm just going to stop talking now.. I should just make a new thread! :)

I am totally derailing this thread but....

I KNOW there is discrimination towards deaf people (and other people with disabilities), but most of the time, it is not intentional. Hearing people just have a lot of preconceived notions. I am starting to get involved with disability awareness groups, working more with HR people than with deaf people. They honestly do not have a clue about ANYTHING.

Sometimes I wonder if parents think "Oh man.. I know how hearing people treat deaf people, because I used to be one of them." and want them to "look and act" like a hearing person in order to "make it easier" on them in the long run.

Perhaps they have no faith in the deaf culture/world to prepare their child to be strong enough being "different" in the real world of working adults, because hearing people know how other hearing people see the culturally deaf.

So it's either make your child conform to the hearing world. Or make your child make others conform to their own world. Well not so much conform but make society "understand" where they are coming from.

That's why PFH (and others Im sure) wants people to learn ASL. I'm sure other deaf people are working hard to find a way to make this happen. This is one step for others to gain "understanding" and meet in the middle.

It's an interesting concept really... it can apply to anything that can make someone "different". For example, a gay couple deciding to have a child. Some people argue "How can you do that to your child? Your child will have to go through "being different". So should your child be the "pioneer" and go through difficulties in order to make society accept gay adoptions? That kind of thing.

I'm just going to stop talking now.. I should just make a new thread! :)

I think it would be a good thread. HHIssues said the same kind of thing in another thread. Something about "do we make hearing people come to us, or do we go to them".

one thing for sure, I'm not going to try and hear again, speak again. :) Its MUCH easier just being asl only.

one thing for sure, I'm not going to try and hear again, speak again. :) Its MUCH easier just being asl only.

Of course, no one is denying that. It's easier for me when there is an interpreter present and I'm not even fluent in ASL! It's easier for me to communicate in a deaf group than in a hearing group.

How do you communicate with hearing people that don't know ASL. A lot of writing stuff down then?

If Mr. Roboto didn't have to talk to make people laugh, we can communicate with hearing people in a way :)

beside - foreigners can manage as well.

Nothing to it-just restrict one's "social interaction" to only those who can use/understand ASL. I understand Trappist monks do the same thing, though not sure if official ASL. Silence is golden! Wise thoughts from PFH. Of course there is another way-carry a laptop computer around all the time.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Nothing to it-just restrict one's "social interaction" to only those who can use/understand ASL. I understand Trappist monks do the same thing, though not sure if official ASL. Silence is golden! Wise thoughts from PFH. Of course there is another way-carry a laptop computer around all the time.

Er. Too heavy, and softwares tend to freeze up. Not to mention you have to deal with the rain...

And it's really not that possible to limit yourself to dealing only with people of certain tongues.

I like the laptop idea. But you could just carry a sophisticated mobile phone with a notepad too.

Points to ponder.

Non implanted, but Siemens hearing aids. (old Phonak for a backup)

PFH: more models to consider: hermits in the desert. Real quiet. You are welcome.

I use ASL with hearing people that don't know ASL.. Even the people who are coming by this morning for my roomies garage sale. :)

With ASL. I've mentioned this before.
you communicate via ASL with hearing people that don't know ASL? How does that work out for you? I would have to imagine the hearing person just standing there scratching their head wondering what the flying hands are trying to say. :confused:

you communicate via ASL with hearing people that don't know ASL? How does that work out for you? I would have to imagine the hearing person just standing there scratching their head wondering what the flying hands are trying to say. :confused:

Thats what the paper says, but not in practice :)

Back