ASL with no fingerspelling

As for additional mapping to hear this computer-"hum"- well heard my next door neighbour "banging" away at their garage door out side from this computer room.

Implanted-Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

As for additional mapping to hear this computer-"hum"- well heard my next door neighbour "banging" away at their garage door out side from this computer room.

Implanted-Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07
And that proves what? That your neighbor has gone bonkers from his computer humming?

My neighbour was installing a new garage door! The surprise I hear the noise! It nothing to do with this computer. My next door neighbour doesn't have a computer. My Cochlear Implant is working fine!

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

My neighbour was installing a new garage door! The surprise I hear the noise! It nothing to do with this computer. My next door neighbour doesn't have a computer. My Cochlear Implant is working fine!

Just because it's working fine, it doesn't means it can pick up all the sounds.

Even in the hearing population, how much a person hears vary. For instance, a friend can hear the higher pitches in songbirds, but another friend cannot-- but isn't diagnosed with a hearing loss.

Just because it's working fine, it doesn't means it can pick up all the sounds.

Even in the hearing population, how much a person hears vary. For instance, a friend can hear the higher pitches in songbirds, but another friend cannot-- but isn't diagnosed with a hearing loss.
Also, noticing sounds isn't the same as speech recognition or sound discrimination.

I've interpreted for many clients who have CI's. It's not a cure-all.

Many of them "hear" quite well but they overreact to minor noises, are easily distracted by environmental background noises, can't understand speech in a group of people, depend on lipreading with hearing, and sometimes misunderstand one-on-one conversation.

A CI can be a wonderful tool but it's not the solution for everyone.

Also, noticing sounds isn't the same as speech recognition or sound discrimination.

I've interpreted for many clients who have CI's. It's not a cure-all.

Many of them "hear" quite well but they overreact to minor noises, are easily distracted by environmental background noises, can't understand speech in a group of people, depend on lipreading with hearing, and sometimes misunderstand one-on-one conversation.

A CI can be a wonderful tool but it's not the solution for everyone.

even hearing people complain of supersensitive ears, at least my son does.. in some cases, it can cause delay . My son tries to shut out, but get upset when he can't.

Perhaps our Hearing isn't simplistic but appears to vary a great deal. Still one must deal with your reality-now.

Perhaps our Hearing isn't simplistic but appears to vary a great deal. Still one must deal with your reality-now.

Nobody is alike and one size does not fit all. Proof in the pudding.

Yeah- "get Real" good advice to follow.

Nor does Japan.

I had the pleasure of having a conversation with a Japanese ESL student. It's rather interesting... their vocabulary for emotions is really narrow, yet they have words for social phenomens that doesn't exist widely in North America ie. being worked to death to the point of overworking; or being so disconnected from society, all of the social interaction is done online. We don't have words in the English language to describe those oddities. But I do find it interesting the expression of emotions is rather underutilized over there.
The language of a culture tends to reflect the things that are important (or in this case unimportant) to that culture.

Native American languages, for instance, generally do not have a lot of words for dealing with the concept of time since living your life according to a clock is not important to that culture. Japanese cultures tend to be reserved and do not place much value on personal emotions, so they tend to not have words for discussing them.

Back