ASL with no fingerspelling

Finger spelling is only the 26 letters in the English alphabet using one hand. Unless there are more than one "acceptable" listing. Not sure the situation in say Chinese Sign Language. Whether one considers that ASL itself doesn't have a specific sign for every English word as a problem.--up to oneself in their utilization for communication purposes.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

The Chinese sign language is pretty easy to understand too. It's not reliant on the written Chinese, just like ASL and English. Oh, and the Chinese uses ASL too.

Finger spelling is only the 26 letters in the English alphabet using one hand. Unless there are more than one "acceptable" listing. Not sure the situation in say Chinese Sign Language. Whether one considers that ASL itself doesn't have a specific sign for every English word as a problem.--up to oneself in their utilization for communication purposes.

You do realize ASL alphabet originated in Spain?

... Whether one considers that ASL itself doesn't have a specific sign for every English word as a problem.--up to oneself in their utilization for communication purposes.
French doesn't have a specific word for every English word either. Is that a problem?

French doesn't have a specific word for every English word either. Is that a problem?

Nor does Japan.

I had the pleasure of having a conversation with a Japanese ESL student. It's rather interesting... their vocabulary for emotions is really narrow, yet they have words for social phenomens that doesn't exist widely in North America ie. being worked to death to the point of overworking; or being so disconnected from society, all of the social interaction is done online. We don't have words in the English language to describe those oddities. But I do find it interesting the expression of emotions is rather underutilized over there.

Nor does Japan.

I had the pleasure of having a conversation with a Japanese ESL student. It's rather interesting... their vocabulary for emotions is really narrow, yet they have words for social phenomens that doesn't exist widely in North America ie. being worked to death to the point of overworking; or being so disconnected from society, all of the social interaction is done online. We don't have words in the English language to describe those oddities. But I do find it interesting the expression of emotions is rather underutilized over there.

It's underutilized here... Theres no word between "Like" and "Love"

What do I tell my FWB?

Geez.. at this point, I think even hearing people who have never had interaction with a deaf person have better knowledge of ASL than you. It seems like you aren't listening to ANYONE.

If you want a sign for every single English word, you want Signed Exact English.

ASL is NOT a signed mode for English. It has NOTHING to do with English. Yes it is true that it does use fingerspelling, but that's because it is easier and everyone knows English, so I look at it more of a "short cut".

Chinese characters, in theory, can explain everything within its characters, but sometimes it's just easier to spell out the English name. That's why when you see technical reports, you see a bunch of characters then all of sudden the English phrase "cleavage furrow"is smack dab in the middle of it.

Nor does Japan.

Exactly. It's true for all languages. There is no word-for-word match of any two spoken languages. So, there's no reason to expect a word-to-sign match for spoken English and ASL, any more than a word-to-word match for spoken English and any other spoken language. That doesn't make one language superior to another.

Exactly. It's true for all languages. There is no word-for-word match of any two spoken languages. So, there's no reason to expect a word-to-sign match for spoken English and ASL, any more than a word-to-word match for spoken English and any other spoken language. That doesn't make one language superior to another.

You have no idea how many times my mom (born in Cuba) would say to me "*Spanish gibberish* Sigh... I don't know how to say it in English....." Then she would try to give me the literal English translation, and it makes NO SENSE whatsoever, but then she would think about it and pick another English phrase that has similar meaning.

I think DrPhil would be happier with Esperanto if he expect a language should be: Esperanto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gee: this computer is also deaf-absolutely silent. I guess it hard to "converse" in any language if "words don't exist". No sure about passing in mental thoughts. Does Google know?

Haha.. Dr. Phil is probably thinking "This is what happens when they use ASL, they just cannot understand complex ideas, just as stated in "Deaf Book" Whatevauthor et al."

:lol:

Maybe one should stare at my signature long enough and then suddenly things will become clear.

:lol:

Gee: this computer is also deaf-absolutely silent. I guess it hard to "converse" in any language if "words don't exist". No sure about passing in mental thoughts. Does Google know?

Not difficult at all. Words are but symbols for a concept. If another symbol for the concept exists, then communication is possible.

What is difficult is communicating with someone who is apparently closed minded regarding the topic. No symbology can overcome that.

I agree words are symbols for a concept.Everyone must agree what the symbol means-deaf: English- Chinese? If one doesn't know the other language unless translated-correct?
The original topic was ASL without fingerspelling. Possible-considering the lack of signs for "many words"?
No I am unfamiliar with the" Deaf book" whatever author et al published, wherever. No comment.
Off to Cochlear Implant exercise-shortly

Back