Asl speed limit

Status
Not open for further replies.
And why not?

I support ASL for deaf children, but I don't make that decision, the parents do. I have an opinion, but the other side does too.

Not if it puts deaf children at risks for language delays and deficits that will affect their lives negatively later on.

It is like saying people who neglect children have the right to their opinion for doing that. There are laws in place for htat.

Deaf children being put in environments where language and communication is not fully accessible should be illegal.

Not if it puts deaf children at risks for language delays and deficits that will affect their lives negatively later on.

It is like saying people who neglect children have the right to their opinion for doing that. There are laws in place for htat.

Deaf children being put in environments where language and communication is not fully accessible should be illegal.

I do not believe this, I am just playing devil's advocate so you can see the other perspective!

And they would make the argument that by not implanting you are choosing to deny the child access to the ability to hear, and that could be considered abuse. You are not allowing the the chance to communicate with the 99% of the world who listen and speak.

I disagree. I think that choosing a cochlear implant is very personal decision. I believe that a deaf child can be raised and educated well, regardless of which path a family chooses.

And why not?

I support ASL for deaf children, but I don't make that decision, the parents do. I have an opinion, but the other side does too.

If we are talking about parents here, they are not deaf (with a few rare exceptions).

I do not believe this, I am just playing devil's advocate so you can see the other perspective!

And they would make the argument that by not implanting you are choosing to deny the child access to the ability to hear, and that could be considered abuse. You are not allowing the the chance to communicate with the 99% of the world who listen and speak.

I disagree. I think that choosing a cochlear implant is very personal decision. I believe that a deaf child can be raised and educated well, regardless of which path a family chooses.

Just STFU, willcha? Like I said, why bow down to the medical/hearing perspective that has been screwing us for years?

some of us have been through oral and then SEE then now we found our home is ASL. It has nothing to do with the device sound here. So what if we feel comfortable using ASL.

I am not talking about the CIs.

I am talking about oralism, SEE, and ASL.

Round and round we goo.. Where will it stop? Nobody knows!!

I am not talking about the CIs.

I am talking about oralism, SEE, and ASL.

The people who are the opposite of those who advocate for ASL would be pro-AV, and they would also be pro-CI. They would make the arguments for CIs, AVT and oralism that many of you are making about ASL.

The people who are the opposite of those who advocate for ASL would be pro-AV, and they would also be pro-CI. They would make the arguments for CIs, AVT and oralism that many of you are making about ASL.

If you see it that way, your perogative.

That is not how and many others see it.

CI users can be ASL users and be a part of the Deaf community. Seems like your view disagrees that they can be.

and?

By the way, out of curiosity, who made the decisions for you to get implants? You or your parents?

If you see it that way, your perogative.

That is not how and many others see it.

CI users can be ASL users and be a part of the Deaf community. Seems like your view disagrees that they can be.

Of course they can! I am one of many. I was saying that people who are strongly pro-oralism can make the same arguments we make for ASL. Neither side is wrong and neither is right.

Of course they can! I am one of many. I was saying that people who are strongly pro-oralism can make the same arguments we make for ASL. Neither side is wrong and neither is right.

Ok thanks for clarifying

They can implant their children all they want. I dont care about that but I think AVT is just cruel. Taking away all visual cues from little deaf kids for the sake of getting them to 'hear". I cant stomach that sick method. Also, oral-onoly is just bordering on abuse because it puts the deaf child at risks for language delays or deficits if they cant pick up on it.

I always advocate for giving them both...ASL and speech.

According to a lot of deaf people here who grew up oral, it is wrong.

and?

By the way, out of curiosity, who made the decisions for you to get implants? You or your parents?

I was implanted on my right side in '91 when I was 5. I got the second in 2002, when I was 16. My first side failed 2 years ago and I was reimplanted on that side.

So, to answer your question, my parents chose the first one, but I chose the rest. :D

I was implanted on my right side in '91 when I was 5. I got the second in 2002, when I was 16. My first side failed 2 years ago and I was reimplanted on that side.

So, to answer your question, my parents chose the first one, but I chose the rest. :D

Learning to teach at Moog, St Joesphs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back