Anybody here like Keith Wann?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mookie said:
Are you willing to retake college courses to study in Cued-Speech for CI students after losing your ASL terp job?

What the hell are you talking about?

Cloggy said:
Try this one:

That's what you get for being deaf. :laugh2:

Seriously, this is one reason I like CI.

Captions/subtitles would just ruin it for me. So does not having the sound on when watching this.... I like the speech with the sound
Look at you....you do love giving deaf people a slap in their faces :(
You didn't have to say this even after what gnu said, you know?

Look at you....you do love giving deaf people a slap in their faces

Oh. no? what makes you so special? why it is alright to abuse hearing pple like that, or more correctly in this particular case - HoH like me -,
but it is not if it's done to the deaf?

Isn't it a double standard, dear?

Fuzzy

Interpretrator said:
What the hell are you talking about?

Care to explain:
Interpretrator said:
Guess the American Annals of the Deaf and the Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education can shut their doors now.

Audiofuzzy said:
Oh. no? what makes you so special? why it is alright to abuse hearing pple like that, or more correctly in this particular case - HoH like me -,

Fuzzy
Stop generalizing. Not all hearing people are offended by what you think we are. How is that "abuse", anyway?

Mookie said:
Are you willing to retake college courses to study in Cued-Speech for CI students after losing your ASL terp job?
:laugh2: Good point, Mookie! If Deaf Culture dies, interpreters lose their jobs.

gnulinuxman said:
:laugh2: Good point, Mookie! If Deaf Culture dies, interpreters lose their jobs.

Ah, right. Because interpreting (and transliterating) are preferences, not needed accommodations, and thus aren't covered under the ADA. Oh, wait ...

ButterflyGirl said:
Look at you....you do love giving deaf people a slap in their faces :(
So you didn't get that did you?
Read GNU's respond, then read mine... then THINK.... THINK....

ismi said:
Ah, right. Because interpreting (and transliterating) are preferences, not needed accommodations, and thus aren't covered under the ADA. Oh, wait ...

Not only that but the need for qualified interpreters has been increasing year by year and shows no sign of decreasing, and as many new interpreters have been graduating from ITPs in recent years, the shortage has not yet been alleviated.

I will wok-fry and eat my cat with bell peppers and mushrooms the day that there is no more need for sign language interpreters anywhere on the planet. You heard it here first and are welcome to call me on it when that day comes.

Stop generalizing. Not all hearing people are offended by what you think we are. (????) How is that "abuse", anyway?

I am not generalizing, she is. and the rest- you know what? since you are so smart go figure it by yourself.

Fuzzy

Audiofuzzy said:

Fuzzy
Eh? I am not saying I am special but I am tired of seeing some hearing people putting deaf people down by rubbing in their faces about how wonderful it is to hear :roll:

Audiofuzzy said:
I am not generalizing, she is. and the rest- you know what? since you are so smart go figure it by yourself.

Fuzzy
Are you referring that to me?

Eh? I am not saying I am special but I am tired of seeing some hearing people putting deaf people down by rubbing in their faces about how wonderful it is to hear

yes, and kindly read this please:
I can't enjoy it
It does not have CC and I can't hear nor sign.

Fuzzy

and this:
That's what you get for being an oralist.

Seriously, this is one reason I promote ASL.

and this:

Originally Posted by Sweetmind

Quote:
Gasp! I knew something fishy about you after all you debated with me so hard in my topic. I found that you have said in your own words aloud in other topic. Wow! I thought two hearing aids helps you a lot but it is not. Boy, it must be so hard for you as I believe it s really hard for those Deaf children from the start.

Thank you so much for saying it aloud. Now you can understand why you couldnt fool me that easily. And you blew it.

Thats why ASL make the difference for us Deaf people and Hearing people too. That's UNITY in our diverse world not hearing world only.

That's why I strongly believe honest is the best policy.

Sweetmind

PS: And whats more I have my computer with lo/hi volume here, and visual movies that comes with voices. ummpphhh! You cannot hear with two hearing aids. I m lost!!

I dont miss out anything from ASL. Thank goodness for having ASL in my life. Thats the two way streets. So Now you get the idea how I felt strongly about for not having two way of streets.

and THEN this:

Try this one:

That's what you get for being deaf.

before you pass judgement, OK?

Fuzzy

Conflict Or No Conflict!

gnulinuxman said:
  • Older deaf people who grew up in oralist schools are afraid that deaf kids will have to go through the torture that they did when growing up in a pure oralist environment.
  • Same as above with those who continue to have abusive pure-oral childhoods.
  • Late-deafened people tend to miss the hearing world because they lived in it their whole lives. Not realizing it half the time, they brag a lot about the hearing world and often can't imagine why a deaf person would want to "deprive themselves of sound" or something like that.
  • Culturally Deaf people see this as very rude, and, to them, it looks like these late-deafened people don't like who they are.
  • Late-deafened people then wonder why culturally Deaf people don't accept them.
  • Culturally Deaf people are amazed that these late-deafened people still don't get it.
  • Hearing people are generally unaware of deafness and get a lot of wrong information about things like Deaf Culture, signing, lipreading, oralism, cochlear implants, etc. mainly because they haven't had any deaf friends.
  • Some hearing people are genuinely stupid and disrespectful, and others think they know that hearing is right and deafness is wrong and pitiful, but most just don't know.
  • Late-deafened people tend to wonder why hearing people like me have so many culturally Deaf friends, and then hate us because they don't understand where we accepted hearing people actually stand.
  • Hearing people and late-deafened people think the "loud" Deaf Power minority of the culture is what everybody there feels like and so are stereotyping the whole culture because of them.
  • Deaf Culture is about respect and rights. However, it is viewed as being purely signing by those who are not accepted by the Culture, even though I have yet to meet a culturally Deaf person who thinks speech is useless. The Deaf Culture really has more of an "At least sign with your deaf child" attitude than an "Oral speech is useless and evil!" attitude.
  • Some oral deaf people come into the culture saying "I don't need to sign! Why should I learn to sign?" attitude, and then wonder why they are rejected. Heather Whitestone-McCallum is one famous person who had an oralist attitude similar to this.
  • The CI is viewed as an attempt to fix deafness by some culturally Deaf people, but most see that a lot of users of the CI brag about being able to hear and some have an "I'm better than you because you don't use a CI!" attitude, with or without realizing it.
  • Some interpreters are in the Deaf Culture because they want money. However, hearing people often see them as experts on deaf people and get wrong ideas from the manipulative ones (the ones who are in it for the money and power over deaf people).
  • Some Deaf people who grew up culturally Deaf are unwilling to understand why the ones who grew up orally are afraid of oralism's negative points. They come across as "I'm right; you're wrong; so buzz off!" because they don't know what it's like to go through oralist or pure-oral education and can't (or won't) imagine any downside. It's pretty rare, but it happens. The main motivation for this attitude seems to be jealousy. (Example: Fragmenter)
  • "Perfect parent syndrome" is my name for the refusal by a shocking number of parents to believe any parent could be abusive and/or selfish. I see this here a lot.
There you have it--every angle of the situation. Please read this. I know I had to generalize here a bit, and I know not everyone in those groups is the same.

Many does not mean most, and some doesn't mean most either.

Please REALLY think about this.

Good point! My professor told me that people thrive on conflicts. So it is human nature for how things function. There was a town in Texas who only wanted to print a newspaper that carries only positive stories - leave negativism out - the newspaper died...

Much like Enquirer, Star, etc the magazines, teen stars, etc etc all over the magazine racks in any store around the world.... all thrive on conflicts...
so it is again human nature!

oh lawdy! That would be great if everyone can get along with each other. I know of one place where people do get along, have peace, do not fight, do not do negativity..... the place I know of is the cemetary... yeah the place of dead people... they are quiet and contented....

:whistle:

Keith Wann is cool!

Hey! Keith Wann is cool! I have seen his shows and they are funny! Laughter is a good medicine! Lighten up!

:applause:

Audiofuzzy said:

Fuzzy
Hmmm, she doesn't offend this hearing person. Pretty much the only people who have offended me are the ones who claim to stand up for hearing people (like you, Fuzzy).

Deaf Images said:
Hey! Keith Wann is cool! I have seen his shows and they are funny! Laughter is a good medicine! Lighten up!

:applause:
Thank heavens! An on-topic post!

Yeah, I enjoy his comedy too, but it's best enjoyed without the sound on. ;)

ButterflyGirl said:
Eh? I am not saying I am special but I am tired of seeing some hearing people putting deaf people down by rubbing in their faces about how wonderful it is to hear :roll:
I can understand why you feel that way. I know it is probably the #1 worst (or close to it) thing to say to a deaf person. Not because of jealousy but because it is rude and annoying.

I will be the first to tell you that hearing has good points and bad points. I would never tell you it's so great--I'm more likely to point out the negatives of hearing (advantages to being deaf). ;)

I will be the first to tell you that hearing has good points and bad points.

But before he will start telling you anything, please keep in mind he is autistic.
It's NOT the same as normal hearing person. So his perspesctive will be diffrent, naturally.
BTW it is very rude to point out to someone who can neither hear well nor sign "this is what you get for being oral".
It's probably the #1 worst thing that I ever heard, and what would any person like me heard.
And since I am NOT autistic you can trust me completely when I tell you good points and bad points of being oral HoH.

Fuzzy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back