AG Bell against ASL commerical

Wonder if we can bring a class-action lawsuit?

Whom an attorney willing to be our representative? Who pay for the attorney to involve this case?

Wonder if we can bring a class-action lawsuit?

I doubt it. It would be difficult to prove any real damages. We would have to demonstrate that A.G. Bell and their actions were directly responsible for deaf as a group not being able to find employment, or such.

So true and we can use their letter as ammunation against people who defend AGBell as this wonderful organization.

Someone said that they did help thousands of families....I told that person the key word is "family" not the deaf children themselves. That person gulped.

That is exactly the point. While I agree that having a deaf child does affect the whole family, the way to address the effect it has on the family is to address the child's needs first. It can be a postivie experience for all, or it can be a negative experience for all. A.G. Bell makes having a deaf child a negative experience. If they saw a deaf child being born to hearing parents as an opportunity to learn a new language and culture, thus broadening their perspective and becoming more understanding and tolerant people as a result, there wouldn't be a problem. But they address it from the perspective of having a deaf child as being a tradgedy for a hearing family. As a consequence, the family never learns to accept the deaf child as a whole, complete person. The child is always seen as "missing something", of being different from other members of the family, of needing services to make them more like everyone else in the family. That is destructive for the developing identity of the child, it has a negative effect on family dynamics, and creates an environment that keeps a child in that "disabled" category. A.G. Bad's practices, and the practices of other oral organiztions like them, such as the John Tracy Clinic, only survive if they are able to keep the deaf marginalized.

“We would also like to remind you that with the amount of money Pepsi will spend on just one 60 second spot to air during the Super Bowl, you could help an untold number families obtain hearing aids and other professional services that are costly and in many cases not covered by medical insurance.”
Gee, talk about being hypocritical..............AG Bell does NOTHING to try to get hearing aids covered or other professional services. They all assume that everyone's a middle class or upper class person who can afford the best hearing aids, the best insurance, best everything................grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

That is exactly the point. While I agree that having a deaf child does affect the whole family, the way to address the effect it has on the family is to address the child's needs first. It can be a postivie experience for all, or it can be a negative experience for all. A.G. Bell makes having a deaf child a negative experience. If they saw a deaf child being born to hearing parents as an opportunity to learn a new language and culture, thus broadening their perspective and becoming more understanding and tolerant people as a result, there wouldn't be a problem. But they address it from the perspective of having a deaf child as being a tradgedy for a hearing family. As a consequence, the family never learns to accept the deaf child as a whole, complete person. The child is always seen as "missing something", of being different from other members of the family, of needing services to make them more like everyone else in the family. That is destructive for the developing identity of the child, it has a negative effect on family dynamics, and creates an environment that keeps a child in that "disabled" category. A.G. Bad's practices, and the practices of other oral organiztions like them, such as the John Tracy Clinic, only survive if they are able to keep the deaf marginalized.

Agreed. It is up to us to change that for the future deaf kids.

Gee, talk about being hypocritical..............AG Bell does NOTHING to try to get hearing aids covered or other professional services. They all assume that everyone's a middle class or upper class person who can afford the best hearing aids, the best insurance, best everything................grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Agreed

Also, has AGBell helped those deaf children who were failed by the oral-only approaches or those who didnt benefit from their CIs?

If AGBell promotes to serve the Deaf/Hard of Hearing population, then why arent they doing anything to help promote the cultural aspects of it?

Agreed

Also, has AGBell helped those deaf children who were failed by the oral-only approaches or those who didnt benefit from their CIs?

If AGBell promotes to serve the Deaf/Hard of Hearing population, then why arent they doing anything to help promote the cultural aspects of it?

Exactly. And why don't they serve all of their needs instead of only their oral needs?

I doubt it. It would be difficult to prove any real damages. We would have to demonstrate that A.G. Bell and their actions were directly responsible for deaf as a group not being able to find employment, or such.

I did think about it..would be hard to prove but nice to dream, heh?

man we couldve had almost 100 million people see this ad during the super bowl. I was so disappointed not to see it during the big game. I think it wouldve ranked in the top 5 best ads

You're blind!
You have no idea.. what AgBell DID PREJUDICED and discrimination against Deaf Community.. and did written letter to Pespi company, Deaf Community is stereotype isolation.. Labeled them!
Excuse me!
Have you heard lately?
Agbell is doing moral supportive for CI.. oralist/speak.. not allowed ASL!
That stupid!
Where children have rights?
Agbell is broke the bill of rights under NAD.. FYI.
I did researched whole thing about "LAW" in American and have learned it lot not pretty insight about Agbell have broke their true flying colors!
:bye:

GalaxyAngel, I KNOW........I was just commenting on their position. Seriously......AG Bell is pretty much like those well off Republicans who just have NO clue whatsoever about things like taxes or social welfare.

More letters/blogs to AgBell

DEAF CINEMATIC FILMBLOG: Dear The Member of AGBell

Dear The Member of AGBell
Dear The Member of AGBell:

Oralism, a philosophy that maintains that language among the Deaf should be from the mouth and that excludes Sign Language taken root in the global educational establishment.

NAD *did* oppose oralism after all the Deaf teachers had been mostly fired from their positions. They were fired and the oral supporters demanded that all Deaf children must be taught speech only and must be prevented from socializing with other Deaf people outside of class. Alexander Graham Bell himself and the association (AGBell) named after him made many attempts to wipe out the Deaf community. Thank God that NAD stepped up to protect Deaf people from being wiped out and prevent ban on using American Sign Language. If you had studied Deaf history, you would be amazed at all the things that AGBell has done to the Deaf community in the past. Many Deaf people suffered in the past with torture and punishment if they were caught using American Sign Language. AGBell worked very hard to spread a negative message worldwide about American Sign Language.

The main reason NAD was set up as an organization was to protect American Sign Language after the fallout of the Milan Congress 1880's declaration that sign language should no longer be allowed in Deaf education. The oral supporters began taking over all the schools for the Deaf that were run by Deaf superintendents and Deaf teachers, and they forced the Deaf children to stop using American Sign Language. That's when Deaf people's level of education attainment began to decline. There were a few oral schools before the 1880 Congress in Milan. Many Deaf people back there were not bothered about the outcome of that Congress until Alexander Graham Bell launched his mission to wipe out of sign language. That's when Deaf people decided to set up the NAD and fight against oralism. Oralism had the goal of displacing all the Deaf teachers of the Deaf. AGBell tried to ban Deaf people from getting married to each other and he tried to set up the law to where Deaf people would be sterilized in order to prevent them from procreating.

Many oral-Deaf people were involved in producing the "Bob's House" Pepsi commercial. Many hearing people that I spoke to told me that they found the commercial funny. Many oral-Deaf people who have never used sign language have been prevented from being exposed to a lot in society. Many hearing parents of Deaf children chose oral programs because they did not even know about the American Sign Language programs that existed.

My recommendation to you is to take a Deaf history class and learn about the pre-Milan and post-Milan history of Deaf education and I'm sure after you learn about it, you will come back with a much different perspective.

I took several courses and read many books about Alexander Graham Bell. He had a dysfunctional method of thinking that really harmed the Deaf community. I respectfully disagree with you when you say the tone was negative. Sometimes people can't handle the truth, and then as a result they end up accusing people of having a negative tone as a way of evading the truth of the issues. Sometimes the truth hurts, but in the long run, it's for the best, especially for Deaf children's sake.

Sincerely,

Aidan
ASL-Deaf Filmmaker

In response to the comment maker (the member of AGBell) from my post, "IN RESPONSE TO THE ALEXANDER GRAHAM BELL ASSOCIATION'S LETTER": comment # 22 (the member of AGBell)

I agree with the statement about the truth hurting and how it is for the best, especially for Deaf children's sake.

Mishka Zena » Blog Archive » Hit AGBell Hard Where It Hurts

Hit AGBell Hard Where It Hurts
Now it’s time for us to boycott the sponsors of AGBell Association for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing.

Please contact the AGBell sponsors Jay Kreiger unearthed for us in this report, 2005 Annual Report, and show them a copy of the letter that the AGBell Association sent to Pepsi Cola Corporation. Emphasize the specific excerpt of the letter that illustrates AGBell’s intolerance and bigotry toward a specific deaf group:

“Your advertisement perpetuates a common myth that all people who are deaf can only communicate using sign language and are, therefore isolated from the rest of society.” Click here to read the entire letter.

Educate the sponsors that this has been a long-standing practice of this organization to demean and ostracize Deaf people who use American Sign Language. We cannot patronize the businesses and organizations that sponsor an organization promoting oppression and blatant discrimination against a culturally deaf minority, hurting us in many aspects.

Ever most important is that the sponsors be treated with respect and diplomacy in the emails and letters.

Money talks the loudest.

It’s time for us to roll up our sleeves and boycott the sponsors of AGBell Association for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing.

Please spread the word to your families, friends, neighbors and colleagues. Also please encourage people to organize e-mailathons to these sponsors.

No more put downs on ASL and Deaf people who use sign language!

Enough is enough!

P.S. You may be interested in knowing this tidbit: AGBell had already removed the offensive letter to Pepsi Cola Company from its site. What does this tell us? They are already covering up their tracks. But we still have the pdf as proof that they are practicing prejudice against us.

Deaf Pundit’s post urging Boycotting of AGBell: Boycotting of AG Bell! « The Deaf Edge

The comments in the link are very interesting to read.

DEAF CINEMATIC FILMBLOG: Dear The Member of AGBell

Dear The Member of AGBell
Dear The Member of AGBell:

Oralism, a philosophy that maintains that language among the Deaf should be from the mouth and that excludes Sign Language taken root in the global educational establishment.

NAD *did* oppose oralism after all the Deaf teachers had been mostly fired from their positions. They were fired and the oral supporters demanded that all Deaf children must be taught speech only and must be prevented from socializing with other Deaf people outside of class. Alexander Graham Bell himself and the association (AGBell) named after him made many attempts to wipe out the Deaf community. Thank God that NAD stepped up to protect Deaf people from being wiped out and prevent ban on using American Sign Language. If you had studied Deaf history, you would be amazed at all the things that AGBell has done to the Deaf community in the past. Many Deaf people suffered in the past with torture and punishment if they were caught using American Sign Language. AGBell worked very hard to spread a negative message worldwide about American Sign Language.

The main reason NAD was set up as an organization was to protect American Sign Language after the fallout of the Milan Congress 1880's declaration that sign language should no longer be allowed in Deaf education. The oral supporters began taking over all the schools for the Deaf that were run by Deaf superintendents and Deaf teachers, and they forced the Deaf children to stop using American Sign Language. That's when Deaf people's level of education attainment began to decline. There were a few oral schools before the 1880 Congress in Milan. Many Deaf people back there were not bothered about the outcome of that Congress until Alexander Graham Bell launched his mission to wipe out of sign language. That's when Deaf people decided to set up the NAD and fight against oralism. Oralism had the goal of displacing all the Deaf teachers of the Deaf. AGBell tried to ban Deaf people from getting married to each other and he tried to set up the law to where Deaf people would be sterilized in order to prevent them from procreating.

Many oral-Deaf people were involved in producing the "Bob's House" Pepsi commercial. Many hearing people that I spoke to told me that they found the commercial funny. Many oral-Deaf people who have never used sign language have been prevented from being exposed to a lot in society. Many hearing parents of Deaf children chose oral programs because they did not even know about the American Sign Language programs that existed.

My recommendation to you is to take a Deaf history class and learn about the pre-Milan and post-Milan history of Deaf education and I'm sure after you learn about it, you will come back with a much different perspective.

I took several courses and read many books about Alexander Graham Bell. He had a dysfunctional method of thinking that really harmed the Deaf community. I respectfully disagree with you when you say the tone was negative. Sometimes people can't handle the truth, and then as a result they end up accusing people of having a negative tone as a way of evading the truth of the issues. Sometimes the truth hurts, but in the long run, it's for the best, especially for Deaf children's sake.

Sincerely,

Aidan
ASL-Deaf Filmmaker

In response to the comment maker (the member of AGBell) from my post, "IN RESPONSE TO THE ALEXANDER GRAHAM BELL ASSOCIATION'S LETTER": comment # 22 (the member of AGBell)

I agree with the statement about the truth hurting and how it is for the best, especially for Deaf children's sake.

I agree with this statement as well. Also, I especially like the part about discussing it with hearing people who found it funny. I've discussed the situation with friends, colleagues, and at my request,with some psych 101 students in class yesterday. All thought it was funny and unique. Most were not familiar with the old joke, but they were still able to step outside their world, and see the humor. As well, the mjorioty expressed amazement and disdain over A.G. Bell's reaction. I have told them all, even as hearing people, their emails to A.G. Bell on this matter concerning the deaf would carry weight.

NAD VS. AGBell

NAD President’s Blog » Blog Archive » NAD Responds to AGBell

Karen Youdelman, President
Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
3417 Volta Place, NW
Washington, DC 20007

Dear President Youdelman,

On behalf of the National Association of the Deaf (NAD) Board of Directors, staff, members, and supporters, I am responding to the recent letter that you wrote to PepsiCo representing the Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (AGBell). Specifically, I want to express our disappointment.

In 1880, the NAD was established by deaf leaders who believed in the right of the American deaf community to use sign language, to congregate on issues important to them, and to have its interests represented at the national level. These beliefs remain true to this day, with American Sign Language (ASL) as a core value. As a consumer-based nonprofit federation, the mission of the NAD is to promote, protect, and preserve the civil, human, and linguistic rights of deaf Americans.

The NAD represents children and adults who are deaf, hard of hearing, late deafened, or deaf-blind. We welcome all people who value ASL, and we promote opportunities for the acquisition and use of ASL in addition to English in its various forms, with or without the use of hearing technologies, to enable successful participation in all aspects of American society, including the deaf community.

We are disappointed with the negative tone of your letter and obvious lack of respect for deaf people who use ASL. We are also sensitive to the fact that many members of the AGBell deaf and hard of hearing section know and use ASL. We find it deplorable that AGBell continues to perpetuate the myth that the use of ASL isolates deaf people from mainstream society, a stereotype that is far from the truth. We know that this is not the first time that AGBell has reacted in this manner to high-profile use of ASL, which AGBell may perceive as detracting from its exclusive focus on speaking and listening. As such, we are not surprised that AGBell continues to close its eyes to successful deaf ASL users as positive role models.

In the view of the NAD, every deaf person has a unique place in American society, with basic human rights with respect to identity, cultural affiliation, and self-expression. This viewpoint, with emphasis on diversity and inclusiveness, forms the foundation for our existence as an organization and as a community.

We expect the same respect from AGBell on behalf of the community we represent.

Sincerely,

Bobbie Beth Scoggins
President

To see NAD response on official letterhead, click here

To see the AGBell letter to PepsiCo, click here

This entry was posted on Thursday, February 7th, 2008 at 1:45 pm and is filed under General. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Berke Outspoken: Break Out the Popcorn. It is NAD vs. AGBell.

On my way home today, I got word that the NAD had sent a "scathing" letter to AGBell in regard to their deplorable letter to Pepsi. And to think it all started with a television commercial....

The NAD letter is professionally written with carefully chosen words, but when you look at specific language you can tell the depth of anger that the writer(s) felt. For example:

"obvious lack of respect for deaf people who use ASL."
"deplorable that AGBell continues to perpetuate the myth that the use of ASL isolates deaf people from mainstream society"
"We expect the same respect from AGBell"
Until AG Bell wrote that letter to Pepsi, I thought that AG Bell was a professional membership organization that respected deaf people who chose to use ASL, while promoting oral communication and education. Well, that letter to Pepsi changed everything for me. For the first time, AG Bell publicly revealed its true colors.

Perhaps this brouhaha will lead to the birth of a new AG Bell, a more tolerant AG Bell (or perhaps this is just wishful thinking). As far as I know, the media has not yet reported on the conflict that has arisen out of the AG Bell letter to Pepsi, but as awareness grows, it is only a matter of time before someone does report on it in the mainstream media. Or maybe one of the deaf columnists whose columns are published in regular papers (Right now, I can't remember the name of one columnist, whose name starts with H).

Does anyone plan to contact the mainstream media if AG Bell does not publicly apologize to the deaf community?

Back