2015 Official AD Meet II on 23rd May 2015

I will take the Megabus again. :)

Just curious, how do you work out the logistics of getting to the hotel from the megabus station? I'm intrigued by how cheap the megabus is but what always set me back is just getting around at the destination. Do you rent a car, use a cab, hitchhike?

Just curious, how do you work out the logistics of getting to the hotel from the megabus station? I'm intrigued by how cheap the megabus is but what always set me back is just getting around at the destination. Do you rent a car, use a cab, hitchhike?

Megabus drop-off is next to F.I.T. (Fashion Institute of Technology) which is at 7th Ave... between 27th and 28th Street. there are several subway stations nearby to take you to wherever you need to go.

very very easy. a very convenient location for drop-off but for pick-up? a rather inconvenient location.... a long walk from subway to bus stop unless you take a cab from hotel.

Megabus drop-off - 7th Ave and between 27th & 28th St.
Megabus pick-up - 34th St and 11th Ave.

you can either take a cab or subway to your hotel. depending on where the hotel is... a cab may be a better choice if it's nearby and straightforward... or if you get all nervous about taking subway :lol:

NYC subway is not exactly tourist-friendly. it does take some deciphering skill to understand the subway map. if you're up for a fun adventure - go ahead. it's not going to bite you :)

either way - I will be gathering everybody's itinerary and I will provide detailed how-to information for each of you.

Chicagoblue2 and I did a comparison on the weather of NY and Chicago. They are almost the same. I don't know why he thinks NY is colder.

Yeah, I've been to Chicago aka Windy City four times, my parents just came home from Chicago last weekend. It was windy, rainy and cold during on that weekend they went out touring around in the city. April's showers explained it all.

far up north? we're only east of you on roughly same latitude...

"far up north" is Canada, ya know?

*chuckles* only if he meant Buffalo, Rochester, and way north part of New York State...they can be brutal weather during Winter season and early Spring due to blizzards and icy roads.

JClarke, if you choose late April-May, the chance I won't be able to see you guys...I might be going away in Japan and Ireland.

Yes, there is a lot of toll roads in NJ and toll on bridge to NYC, so I'm not crazy about tolls. :lol:

Yes, that's true and I heard about NYC drivers are aggressive, but not sure about how is difference from DC drivers. I found DC drivers are really bad and I took extra caution and more attention as well.

That's true. It's which is why I avoid driving out of NYC on weekday during rush hours both in the morning and evening and Friday/Saturday evenings to late nights...I wait until after 11 pm on weekdays and Sunday I feel safe to drive out of NYC. George Washington Bridge is very unfavorable bridge to drive across...you'd be stuck on the bridge for almost 2 hours during the rush hour.

JClarke, if you choose late April-May, the chance I won't be able to see you guys...I might be going away in Japan and Ireland.

it is now most likely late march. Will keep this thread up to date as i progress with my planning (check my US trip 2015 thread) :)

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

Sorry if I'm late joining this thread. The trip to New York seems interesting. I don't mind when. If given choice, I would probably pick March over April or May. Less bikes are sold in March than April or May so I won't be as busy.

I'm sure about everyone knows by now that I'm in Illinois. I was in NY only twice. The first time was in 1985. I was at EYF program at NTID in 1995.

Road trips would be fun. Wait, no places in New York City for deaf/Deaf people to brag about their turbocharged engines? Wait…never mind…I just want to interact with other deaf/Deaf people like me :). I'll keep an open mind on this one.

Sorry if I'm late joining this thread. The trip to New York seems interesting. I don't mind when. If given choice, I would probably pick March over April or May. Less bikes are sold in March than April or May so I won't be as busy.

I'm sure about everyone knows by now that I'm in Illinois. I was in NY only twice. The first time was in 1985. I was at EYF program at NTID in 1995.

Road trips would be fun. Wait, no places in New York City for deaf/Deaf people to brag about their turbocharged engines? Wait…never mind…I just want to interact with other deaf/Deaf people like me :). I'll keep an open mind on this one.

plenty of garages here in NYC especially Brooklyn and I know some deafies who love their turbochargers... including a very pretty girl and she does everything herself :)

I will actually be in Nyc around late march!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Is there any way to have more than one meet? Maybe even hit the west coast or Midwest? I would love to go, but NYC is just out of reach for me :/

Is there any way to have more than one meet? Maybe even hit the west coast or Midwest? I would love to go, but NYC is just out of reach for me :/

possible but not likely. majority of deafies and ADers reside on East coast. we did have a mini-AD meet though couple years ago at Las Vegas because of DeafNation World Expo

Unfortunately, no, this official AD meet has been approved by the owner Alex, himself, so it will be at NYC, however if you wish to get some of the deafies to meet at the west coast, you can always set up a mini unofficial meet.

Back