what do you like about hearing culture?

Because music is so much more than image or taste. There's a hell of a lot more than metal and rap, and it's not like everybody listens to one genre exclusively!! I used to listen to everything but country, but there were still country songs I like.

Your taste in music might be influenced by what you heard growing up, but tons and tons and tons of people find they like other things.

The lyrics matter, a lot. Unless you're talking about dance music like Beyoncé or something, then the words aren't the real focus.

It's hard to explain music to someone who's never been able to fully, and I mean fully appreciate the actual fullness of it. Like explaining color to a blind person. There are songs I know. Every word for and I will drive in my car with the radio off and sing them.

This is kind of sad grummer. Music is often mentioned by late deafened as being one of the biggest things they miss. This wouldn't be the first time I've read something like this on here, that music is overrated. I think it's sad that you are tearing something down, something you don't really understand, to make it something it's not so so you can poopoo it. Make it something that you're really missing out on because you're deaf.

Last edited:
The book I keep referring to: Sociology Hagedorn was the text I used at Centennial College a few years ago. It is a Canadian textbook.

I also have an extensive article from Atlantic Monthly-Deafness as Culture Edward Dolnick September1993.

Whether it is in their computer which Google can print-no idea.

I have never claimed to be part of the local "deaf community" here in Toronto. I am aware it is part of the Canadiain Hearing Society . I also took a number Hearing Help classes over the years before I became bilateral DEAF.

The book I keep referring to: Sociology Hagedorn was the text I used at Centennial College a few years ago. It is a Canadian textbook.
AF.

So your basing all your ideas on one damn college text book. Lol sorry doc that actually is rather funny.

The
I also have an extensive article from Atlantic Monthly-Deafness as Culture Edward Dolnick September1993.AF.

Oh and an article......

The
Whether it is in their computer which Google can print-no idea.

Probably is

The
I have never claimed to be part of the local "deaf community" here in Toronto. I am aware it is part of the Canadiain Hearing Society . I also took a number Hearing Help classes over the years before I became bilateral DEAF.

I have no plm with you using all cAps to advertise to the world you are biologically deaf and implanted. Though again most if not All who read all caps DEAF will assume due to accepted conventions your are something else.
As for the DEaF in Toronto being. Part of CHS maybe on some level some are. Maybe....But the goal of CHS is to help people hear. Which of course isn't much friendly to us DEAF.
Why don't you just go visit the kick ass DEaF centre in Toronto. You will make aswome friends and leRn an aswome language.
Shit got tell them they don't have a culture. And it's all in their heads. Or......well you can keep posting that here I guess if that suits your fancy
Meh

I'm one hearie who loves music but I never listen to rap, heavy metal, pop, or country. When I was young I did listen to the rock and folk music of the 50's, 60's, and 70's. I enjoy traditional Christian music, classical music, some Broadway show tunes, Celtic Thunder, bagpipes, American folk music, and world folk music.

I like that they invented Coca Cola.

So I guess you could say I am a fan of the foods of the predominant hearing culture.

yeah the original recipe of coke certainly had a kick.

then again genocide is another hearie invention mmmmm
coke
(plucks dandelion)
genocide
(pluck)

Well Ambrosia lots of different types of dance music: Swing/East Coast/WestCoast and various Latin American-ChaCha etc.

I saw this video on face book this morning Grummer and I immediately thought of this thread. And you question about what's so great about music. And this idea that it's just some superficial thing the people do to "fit in" or whatever. That there's no real connection. That it's shallow tripe.

It's hard to explain just how great music it and how deeply it can be felt, how deeply it can effect you, your mood. But this let me show you, and you can a bit. This baby is one, he has not been saturated by culture and doesn't associate things with stereotypes or whatever yet. This, this is pure, and this is great :)

HILARIOUS Baby Wakes Up to Bruno Mars - YouTube

In other deaf website where it has a chatroom, I repeatedly get accused for being a hearing person. They said that I write like a hearing person or said no for answering to "do you have VP?" :ugh:

In other deaf website where it has a chatroom, I repeatedly get accused for being a hearing person. They said that I write like a hearing person or said no for answering to "do you have VP?" :ugh:

that's hilarious and /or interesting , even frustrating depending on when and where and whom you were interacting with (id their level of English or audio logically-based English or Grammatically-based English....how do we know? good question....even its delirious

This is an intresting question, from a hearing point of view, there is no Hearing culture.

There are so many cultures among us, that I don't think there is a big common thing except the fact that we hear. And even then?

It's not like we have a culture that says we are proud to hear.

There are so many differences between cultures even if they seem so alike.

As a Belgian, we have like a Flemish culture, proud of our language, but there is also a French speaking part and even a German one. Yet when it comes to it, we're all Belgians.

Depending on who you talk to, someone staying in Flanders should learn Dutch/Flemish, even though they could get around perfectly without knowing Flemish

Last edited:
I believe I stated in my intro that I can hear.

I live in the country. It's VERY quiet here. Urban, hearing visitors always comment on it. I remember sitting outside on my grand mother's lap. Grandfather's and Grandmother's farm. We'd listen to the owls (mostly barred owls), coyotes, whippoorwills (which is my all time facorite bird call), tree frogs, frogs and all those bugs. Katydids, etc., etc. It's the same here at my home.

I regret (NO, I will not say I'm sorry) some of you cannot experience that.

Couple weeks ago my future BIL was visiting here. There were several children. At some point after dinner we were all sitting around outside. He disappeared into the house. A little later I noticed he was napping in my favorite chair. Just as I was walking by a couple 9 year old girls went screaming through the house. Without thinking I asked them to keep it down because they would wake him. What a schlub I was!!! He, of course, didn't stir!

Back