SSI over paid me.

I had SSI from 1990-1994 and paid back to SS $1400 before I moved out to LV.

I had SSDI from 2002-2006 while I was a student in San Francisco and owe to SS approximately $2800. I haven't received a letter from SS yet, so I am not worried right now. I am worried about other debt I am currently paying to. When I finally get a letter from SS, then I will appeal to reduce the overpayment amount (I did it before) with the explanation as same as time I start to pay back to SS.

Shrugs.

Merely because a person is hearing does not mean that they are going to be entitled to better paying jobs. Earlier mention of pilots and firefighters is a case in point, many active military personnel with an acute interest in flying are not going to every see the inside of a plane due to a wide variety of reasons. Flight schools and fighter pilot testing programs can almost be twice as rigorous as any normal boot camp. Out of say, 200 people that might apply for flight school only about 50 will be accepted and out of those 50 probably anywhere from 10 to 15 will make the final cut because the remaining ones will drop out. Same scenario with people in the Marine Corp that want to be involved in special operations. Many qualified applicants will be turned down before even making an interview. NCIS and other special investigations teams receive thousands of applications a year, out of those thousands they only select a handful of people to hire and out of that handful only a tiny majority will become NCIS agents.
As far as other fields, I like Lizzardhere am a relay operator and I deal with professional business owners, medical transcriptionist who are all deaf, therefore making the point about getting good jobs nil. As for myself, I was a cab driver in New York City for over 5 years. I saw people, with a better working knowledge of the city that I , better drivers than I , quit on the first day because it is not just about being qualified in the working world it is about dealing with the stress that can come with any job. I was qualified to work in an emergency room once, I quit on the third day because it was not suited for me. My point being, is that in the working world, getting good jobs is very tough whether you are deaf or whether you are a hearing person like myself. I have been on my own since I was 17 years old and had to work at alot of menial that I did not like in order to support myself. Peace !

Did I say that just because a person is hearing is more entitled to a better paying job? Did I say that deaf people cant get good paying jobs? All I said was it is harder.

My point was that there are more opportunities for hearing people to choose from as far as jobs are concerned. Like u can pick anything u want ..u can try to become a firefighter, police officer, austronaut and go thru the trainings or not to see if u will make it but deaf people are already told that there is no chance. So, is that fair? Nope, but that's life and most of us have accepted that and do our best. For hearing people to say that we get SSI or SSDI benefits is unfair is just as the same thing as we say it is unfair that hearing people have more job opportunities. Nothing in life is fair so all we can is do our best.

I dont see many of us complaining how unfair it is that we cant do some certain jobs so I really think it is silly that some hearing people say that it is unfair that we get SSI or SSDI benefits. :ugh3:

Like I said I'm not trying to offend anyone here. But I have been trying to get back in school I've written well over 25 2 to 3 page essays trying to get a scholarship, filled out for grants, loans are my last resort. The last thing I need or anyone is a bill gaining intrest as I try to slowly pay it back. I'm not saying that Deaf people don't have it hard. Everyone does. I make below poverty level and I can't get help. When "I" asked how can I get back to college I was told to have a baby.

Now this does vary from state to state I'm sure. I live in Tennessee which isn't the best place to try and get grants and such as I'm finding out.

But please don't take my words as attacks on Deaf people at all. I came to this forum to try and understand what you guys go through compaired to everything we have to deal with.

In the surrounding cities I live in there are plenty of deaf people, but I never see them or get to communicate with them unless one pops in for Deaf Culture week at work.

So please educate me so I can better understand and perhaps you can better understand me.

Like I said I'm not trying to offend anyone here. But I have been trying to get back in school I've written well over 25 2 to 3 page essays trying to get a scholarship, filled out for grants, loans are my last resort. The last thing I need or anyone is a bill gaining intrest as I try to slowly pay it back. I'm not saying that Deaf people don't have it hard. Everyone does. I make below poverty level and I can't get help. When "I" asked how can I get back to college I was told to have a baby.

Now this does vary from state to state I'm sure. I live in Tennessee which isn't the best place to try and get grants and such as I'm finding out.

But please don't take my words as attacks on Deaf people at all. I came to this forum to try and understand what you guys go through compaired to everything we have to deal with.

In the surrounding cities I live in there are plenty of deaf people, but I never see them or get to communicate with them unless one pops in for Deaf Culture week at work.

So please educate me so I can better understand and perhaps you can better understand me.

Oh ok..I wasnt sure if u were attacking us because of that other post made by "I8deafppl" bashign us about abusing SSI and SSDI.

Hmmmm...maybe take out on a student loan? I didnt qualify for many grants or scholarships to pay for my titution so I took out a student loan but it was worth it. I am in heavy debt cuz of my years at college. There are pros and cons. I never heard of SSI or SSDI until I went to Gally cuz my ex hubby left me for another woman while I was in grad school and I was about to quit school so I can support myself until someone suggested to contact the Social Security office. That was when I learned about it and I started asking around and learned that many deaf people use it. Now, I dont know many who is still on SSI..almmost of my deaf friends or co workers have jobs. The only people I know who are on SSI or SSDI are students. My friends that collect SSI or SSDI are stay at home mom cuz their hubbies told them to stay at home cuz of their SSI benefits are the ones that I think that may be abusing the system but I keep my opinions to myself.

Maybe we should say it is not fair that some people get to be born in money? :giggle: Bad joke. My philosophy is "We take what life has given us and make the best of it but we are in control of our destinity."

My destinity is to be in extremely heavy debt that I almost filed for bankrupty but I am happy cuz I have a job that I love. Now, if I could just win the lottery or something and pay off my debts. GRRRR..

No I'm not trying to attack anyone on here. I don't feel like getting bashed on here myself lol.

But yeah.. honestly unless you have money it's hard. And the economic system doesn't make it easy for us hearing. I could bet a million dollars I couldn't go out and become an astronaut or fighter polit, hell even if i wanted to be a doctor, there is little chance I'd make it to medical school even if I had money. I'm doing good with being an operator because I taught myself how to type.

Loans are my last choice. I'm going to see if I qualify for some tuition remberment from my job. Sometimes they will sometimes they won't. If not then it will be a loan. I just hate to think of all that debt I'll be paying until I'm 60!

Not to say that I don't understand ih8deafppl's frustration. Even I get frustrated at the fact I hardly make anything and don't even qualify for food stamps. And yet my neighbor who decided to have 5 kids to get a bigger welfare check and is rollin around in a lexus get's to sit at home while I work 40 hours a week and think about a second job just to afford stuff.

Although perhaps it's hard for deaf people to get a job, although applying to be a waitress or something(which I've seen people do) isn't exactly the best thing to apply for :giggle: but there are plenty of good paying jobs out there that are desk jobs like in some doctors offices, working in medical records filing charts and papers and such. I had a job like that at 17 and they paid me 8 bucks an hour full time to do it. Not bad for a job at 17.. of course where I work I've seen a couple of deaf people who get turned down just do the fact there grammer is worse then a second graders and not meaning that as an insult but i doubt I'd want to hire anyone hearing deaf or otherwise who had grammer like that... and presented themselves as rather uneducated. If you get my hint. Not saying all deaf people are uneducated, don't take it like that... but I suppose that because of where I am I'm exposed to it all the good the bad and the ugly.

Hopefully people will reach out and try to understand, and talk instead of just assuming that things are the way they are.

No I'm not trying to attack anyone on here. I don't feel like getting bashed on here myself lol.

But yeah.. honestly unless you have money it's hard. And the economic system doesn't make it easy for us hearing. I could bet a million dollars I couldn't go out and become an astronaut or fighter polit, hell even if i wanted to be a doctor, there is little chance I'd make it to medical school even if I had money. I'm doing good with being an operator because I taught myself how to type.

Loans are my last choice. I'm going to see if I qualify for some tuition remberment from my job. Sometimes they will sometimes they won't. If not then it will be a loan. I just hate to think of all that debt I'll be paying until I'm 60!

Not to say that I don't understand ih8deafppl's frustration. Even I get frustrated at the fact I hardly make anything and don't even qualify for food stamps. And yet my neighbor who decided to have 5 kids to get a bigger welfare check and is rollin around in a lexus get's to sit at home while I work 40 hours a week and think about a second job just to afford stuff.

Although perhaps it's hard for deaf people to get a job, although applying to be a waitress or something(which I've seen people do) isn't exactly the best thing to apply for :giggle: but there are plenty of good paying jobs out there that are desk jobs like in some doctors offices, working in medical records filing charts and papers and such. I had a job like that at 17 and they paid me 8 bucks an hour full time to do it. Not bad for a job at 17.. of course where I work I've seen a couple of deaf people who get turned down just do the fact there grammer is worse then a second graders and not meaning that as an insult but i doubt I'd want to hire anyone hearing deaf or otherwise who had grammer like that... and presented themselves as rather uneducated. If you get my hint. Not saying all deaf people are uneducated, don't take it like that... but I suppose that because of where I am I'm exposed to it all the good the bad and the ugly.

Hopefully people will reach out and try to understand, and talk instead of just assuming that things are the way they are.

When I was in my 20s, I did apply to a few jobs working in a dr's office but they told me that I needed to be able to answer phones which is an impossible task for me so that was another kind of job that had been crossed off on my list. However, I did get a job working at an insurance company as a mail clerk for a short time. I quit cuz there was no place for advancement since most of the jobs required phone work. Maybe now things are different with technology. Who knows?

My mom was in your shoes about having barely enough to support the 3 of us (my dad left) but she made too much to qualify for assistance so I can understand where u are coming from.

I'd love to work in a doctor's office or something like that but I often am told I need to be able to use the phone (actually speaking), so it's not really a possiblity. I really hate that there are so many jobs that we could do (sans phone use) but then when I look at the wanted ads in the paper they say "must be able to use phone" or something like that. :(

Oh by the way, Lizzardhere..I am paying back SSI so how does that make me taking advantage of your tax dollars? It is being paid back. :ugh3:

OHH..u want to hear something funny? Hearing people do take advantage or abuse the SSI system. I know a few deaf friends of mine whose hearing husbands told them to stay home with their kids but when they expressed their wishes to go back to work after their children start school full time their husbands told them they they prefer them to continue to stay home. U what was their reasons? They told them that it is better for them to continue to stay home so they wont lose their SSI cuz it is free money. Their hearing husbands said that not my deaf girlfriends so dont blame it on deaf people. Hearing people do it too. If u want to blame someone, blame it on our govt for starting up SSI.

the government gets blamed for it all the time, and now they are having to try to find ways to correct it. SSI checks will soon be watched more closely. those people who collect SSI while holding down a day job will receive less money which will in turn entice them to work more. i have heard many deaf people quit their job because they "dont actually need" it! i have heard of one person call into his job to quit, the boss say "i really need u to keep working, i dont have time to train someone new. i'll give u an extra $2 an hour raise if u can just come in." the deaf person replied "no thanks. i dont like job work. i not come in anymore." then immediately called someone and tried to get marijuana. there are people that exploit the system on all sides. hearing people exploit it for wellfare and food stamps. but that is usually a person addicted to drugs who dropped out of school in the 7th grade and has numerous kids that there is no way they can support themselves. im not saying some asian cultures have it right,... but it IS a step in the right direction. the government needs to undergo serious reform because the SSI, SSA, FS, Wellfare, and pretty much any other govt funding system is completely flawed and people have found ways to bypass it and collect money they shouldnt really be getting.

and as for being passed up by a promotion, it happens. maybe the person who got promoted works harder. maybe they show up when they are supposed to. maybe they go the extra mile and that is what separates them from the deaf person passed up. it isnt ALWAYs just about whether or not u can hear. there is a manager of a starbucks who is deaf. they make around $46k a year. that is enough to get a house and support a family, provided the other partner isnt sitting at home not working. there are opportunities out there for everyone, u just have to see them and grab them

the government gets blamed for it all the time, and now they are having to try to find ways to correct it. SSI checks will soon be watched more closely. those people who collect SSI while holding down a day job will receive less money which will in turn entice them to work more.

If that's the plan then I support it.

i have heard many deaf people quit their job because they "dont actually need" it! i have heard of one person call into his job to quit, the boss say "i really need u to keep working, i dont have time to train someone new. i'll give u an extra $2 an hour raise if u can just come in." the deaf person replied "no thanks. i dont like job work. i not come in anymore." then immediately called someone and tried to get marijuana.

I agree with u..that is abusing the system and that is wrong
there are people that exploit the system on all sides. hearing people exploit it for wellfare and food stamps. but that is usually a person addicted to drugs who dropped out of school in the 7th grade and has numerous kids that there is no way they can support themselves. im not saying some asian cultures have it right,... but it IS a step in the right direction. the government needs to undergo serious reform because the SSI, SSA, FS, Wellfare, and pretty much any other govt funding system is completely flawed and people have found ways to bypass it and collect money they shouldnt really be getting.

I know..what can we do?

and as for being passed up by a promotion, it happens. maybe the person who got promoted works harder. maybe they show up when they are supposed to. maybe they go the extra mile and that is what separates them from the deaf person passed up. it isnt ALWAYs just about whether or not u can hear. there is a manager of a starbucks who is deaf. they make around $46k a year. that is enough to get a house and support a family, provided the other partner isnt sitting at home not working. there are opportunities out there for everyone, u just have to see them and grab them.

I dont know about other deaf people's situation but in that situation that I got passsed up by a promotion was definitely due to my inability to hear. I can give u some background details and maybe u can understand why I got fed up and quit to look for a different place of employment. I worked for that company for 3 years..always showed up on time, I am sure i missed work due to being sick or whatever (that was like 20 years ago) , I got named employee of the month a few times, finished the job that was required of me to do and I would usually ask my boss if there was something else I could do cuz I hate being bored and doing nothing. Makes time goooo sloow and believe me I wanted time to go fast! :giggle: I could go on..yes, I made mistakes on the job but I was never deliberately lazy or cut corners. I was raised with good work ethics. Anyways, there was an opportunity to be promoted to the next level which was a $3 increase. To an 18 year old, that was a lot of money. At first, I didnt pay much attention to it but after 3 years working in the same position with the same pay, when people who started working at the company a looong time after me got the promotion not me I started getting upset. So, I approached my boss and called for a private meeting. I asked him nicely (I remember that day as if it was yesterday) if I was doing a good job or if there was anything that I wasnt doing or doing wrong. He said no and that he was statisfied with my quality of work. So, I asked him if there was any reason why I wasnt getting promoted to this position and told him that I felt ready to move onto the next position. I felt I had enough skills, experience and knowledge of how the company ran and he started looking very uncomfortable. He said he felt that I couldnt manage the store due to my inablility to hear. I asked him why not and what did he mean by that. He couldnt make eye contact so he went on to explain some BS story about needing to be able to answer the phones and I was like " Well, the other employees can cover that." He said that it was in the job description. It was the first time I have ever experienced anything like that and it really really crushed me. Remember, I was only 18 years old and I wasnt aware of any laws protecting my rights. The next day, I submitted my resignation.

Maybe it is my fault for not taking more action but I was just a kid with a very very low self esteem cuz I was so ashamed of my deafness at the time so I believe him.

If that made me a bad worker, so be it. It wasnt something I could control.

I have a disability and SSI or SSDI are disability benefits so I felt that I was entitled to them. I dont feel ashamed that I recieved SSDI benefits cuz I put it in good use and that was to make it possible for me to finish college. If I had sat around on my ass and did nothing while getting your taxpayer's money, then I should be ashamed of myself. I never did that and I am paying it back.

To say all deaf people abuse SSI or SSDI benefits just because a few do is just totally wrong! Pls do not generalize.

U can say it is unfair..I will just not agree with u or anyone else who says that.

Medical Records

Really it depends on the doctors office. If you apply for something like medical records at a smaller doctor office, like a family doctor office, it usually doesn't require phone use. I worked off an on for 3 years at a doctors office and I think I picked up the phone twice because it was specifically for me. The best thing to do if you would like to work at a doctors office is go there in person. Go to a smaller doctor office, not one of those huge corporate places where the chance of getting a raise is slim to none because they are greedy... but one in your home town. Talk with the manager there (usually on one) and see about getting yourself in line if they need someone. It always starts out as part time during the summer, come in for a couple hours to do paperwork back in the back where no one can see you and then if you're good at that they call you back instead of those other people. That's how I got into it.

Can turn into a snooze fest too though.. staring at all those papers but if you work in a doctors office free health care!!!!!!

Don't give up. If at first you don't succeed try and try again. I've worked in some pretty pithetic places to get the job as an operator. Was a long time coming but I just kept trying until I got it.

And hopefully I'll be able to stand being an operator long enough to get them to pay for schooling... ugh.. I dunno.. they are wearing me thin.

I wish everyone the best of luck.

My best suggestion to you is GETTING A JOB and stay in work till you get retired then the ssa will give you much better than what you are not working and ssi (lousy pay). You need to get your butt off from your chair and look for job and make equal with hearing people that you can afford to buy anything what you want like hearing people have own house and car etc.. PLEASE DO NOT DEPEND ON YOUR OWN PARENTS BEFORE THEY WILL BE GONE; they want to see you to be grown up and take your own live before they satisfy and die. ALSO DO NOT USE HEARING PEOPLE FOR BORROW MONEY ETC They will think you are dumb and poor nothing to live ..... you live on street and look bad to hearing world. YOu need to prove yourself to hearing world that YOU CAN DO IT !!!!!!!!!! I do not want deafies to look dumb and poor to hearing world!

Most percentage of the deafies who graduated from Deaf schools, they do not know how to handle the budget and fill the tax forms etc. not know how to take responsible. One of my deaf friends told me everything I shocked. He said that he did not know how to pay bills and thought it is free everything on the earth because the way deaf school (Institution) teaches them how to be free on the earth. That how he got messing up with his bills and banks etc........ His hard of hearing wife takes responsible over him because she raised in hearing school and taught by public school.

I thank my deaf ed program at public school. My teacher did teach us (I was 10 grade) how to budget and fill tax 1040ez and others. I was prepared to get ready before getting out of world from high school. I did fill my own 1040ez several times and realize it was so easy to do it than 1040 tax form for marriage. I did take business administration course at high school too.. It was worth for me to get a profit from courses!

These are the type of responses some of us like to hear. 'Get off your butt and do something' and it sounds so much sweeter comeing from someone in your own community. Since I've been posting on here I've had nothing but people thinking I"m insulting them. Why? I don't know.. but take your own communities advice. Even if it's working at McDonalds.. it's better then nothing..

Getting A Job

One thing I have learned from the working world, (I am 32 years old ) is that just because you take a job that you do not like does not mean that it is the end of the world or necessarily the field that you are going to stay in the rest of your life. I grew up around and learned Blacksmithing, but I have been a construction worker, a dock worker, a factory and assembly line worker, a warehouse worker, a printer's apprentice, a steel worker, a NYC cab driver and currently a relay operator. Now, while I admit that I still haven't found what I am looking for ( to quote the U2 song) I have learned that although it is not easy, if you do not like the current job that you have it is not a prison sentence. I have had many jobs that I did not feel were GOOD jobs, but they were providing my income until I could find something better. Alot of people have told me, go to school. well, when you are a high school drop out that is pretty much dependent upon yourself and no one else to make ends meet, it becomes an unwanted expense, not to mention something that is difficult to do. But, even so, there are many fields that are willing to train that have a high turnover rate. I don't have the greatest education that there is, but I have been able to not lack for work and even work in fields that were quite satisfying.

I am having the same issue,

I just paid them back the 1800 dollars in April and I got a letter that they still over paid me 2600 dollars. So I am up there too.

I was not able to appeal or anything. My mom said that I should get an attorney to do this and fight it. I was supposed to get Part B medicare never got it back or nothing.

I am afraid to get a job and can not make enough and they cut me off. I had a good full time job but left there 2 yrs ago and have not worked since.

What else can I do.

Get another job. Social Security is going to get their money one way or the other.. so might as well get it over with.

Get another job. Social Security is going to get their money one way or the other.. so might as well get it over with.

Well I understand where your coming from.

I have had quite a few jobs I enjoyed but ppl there including managers do not understand the aspect of a deaf person. They think that I can hear no matter what and answer phones all the time. I have gotten trouble quite a few times not answering phones alot.

That is why I have not worked since. My only best job I ever really held without management problems is Kennywood Park. I loved it there.

Well I understand where your coming from.

I have had quite a few jobs I enjoyed but ppl there including managers do not understand the aspect of a deaf person. They think that I can hear no matter what and answer phones all the time. I have gotten trouble quite a few times not answering phones alot.

That is why I have not worked since. My only best job I ever really held without management problems is Kennywood Park. I loved it there.

I can understand completely about the phone issue. It sucks but what about looking for a job that doesnt require phone work?

U said u havent worked since..are u trying to find jobs but having trouble, physically unable to work, or going to school?

In my opinion, if u are trying to find a job but nothing is available or what is available is impossible to do due to your deafness, then I agree with getting SSI benefits but if u are not trying and just doing nothing..not even going to school, then that is abusing the system. I dont want to offend u which is why I asked u what is your situation before I make any wrong assumptions.

Do you want to solve the problem with SSI/SSDI overpayment??? Call your US senators or Representatives in your local and tell them that you have problem with SSA! They have caseworkers there in their offices. I did call to my US Representative and fill out complaining with reasons. They told me that they have a caseworker. Everything was worked out already.

SSA Is under the Federal therefore US Senators and Representatives are the FEDERAL so you need to let them know about ur situation with SSA and ask them to help you to solve this problem!

I am not abusing the system,. I have looked. I just moved to WVa and I am looking.

I am now concidering going back to school but I can not afford so I made a post about Schooling programs if someone could post in there where I can go or look for in help going back to school.

I am not abusing the system,. I have looked. I just moved to WVa and I am looking.

I am now concidering going back to school but I can not afford so I made a post about Schooling programs if someone could post in there where I can go or look for in help going back to school.

Ok thanks for answering my question. :) I didnt want other AD members to accuse u of abusing the system without asking u first so that is why I asked.

I posted a reply in your other thread. Hope everything works out! :)

Back