SSI over paid me.

You can live off ssi? Please, tell us how.
Alot of people can live off ssi but not able to save any extras to do fun things. Living off ssi isn't that easy but people can do it. There are HUD homes and apt where its based on income, food stamps is helpful too. I used to be on ssi and couldn't live off my ssi. I guess I'm one of those who just couldn't. I'm working now and I'm making much more than what I made from the ssi. Its alot better when you're working... I used to think I'd like to stay home and live off ssi but I realize working is better and having a life. Some people that are living off ssi have really good reason why they can't work.. which is understandable.

If you got a letter from them that you owe them back... there should be a WAIVER sheet where you can explain why you don't agree that you should have to pay back from when you were 6 (?). I do know you should have a letter stating that if you don't agree with it.. you sign them and mail it back to them.. they'll send you another letter and you'll have to fill them out and answer the questions. My boyfriend got the same thing about 7 years ago and used a waiver sheet to see if they can drop what he owes. Its got to be a good reason! It sucks and alot of paperwork too. If you really want to do this.. you got to go thru it. good luck!

I don't think SSA does the waivers anymore. My fiance was overpaid and he tried to have it waived and was told that they no longer do that anymore.

Alot of people can live off ssi but not able to save any extras to do fun things. Living off ssi isn't that easy but people can do it. There are HUD homes and apt where its based on income, food stamps is helpful too. I used to be on ssi and couldn't live off my ssi. I guess I'm one of those who just couldn't. I'm working now and I'm making much more than what I made from the ssi. Its alot better when you're working... I used to think I'd like to stay home and live off ssi but I realize working is better and having a life. Some people that are living off ssi have really good reason why they can't work.. which is understandable.

If you are good at budgeting, and are very careful with your finances, you can do it. But some people are really terrible at staying within their budgets, like my ex roommate was. Me, not much of a problem. I'm able to have fun sometimes, but not as much as someone who has a good paying job would. I'm only on SSI until I finish college and have a good paying job.

I'm currently looking into getting a section 8 voucher to reduce the rent on my apartment. If I do get the voucher my rent would only be 30% of my monthly income. But there might be a waiting list.

go visit Social Security Online. read ssa information..

ssi- full time student, paying rent and bills.
dont buy car and computer you will get in trouble, pay back..

ssdi- if you work part time job, you get 400 dollars a month
if you can get full time job for 9 months then its cut off
you can buy car and computer..

SSI stands for soical security income under gov state
SSDI stands for social security disablity insurance under gov federal

SSI you get meicard because they are not taxpayer
SSDI you get medical because they are taxpayer

go visit Social Security Online. read ssa information..

ssi- full time student, paying rent and bills.
dont buy car and computer you will get in trouble, pay back..

ssdi- if you work part time job, you get 400 dollars a month
if you can get full time job for 9 months then its cut off
you can buy car and computer..

SSI stands for soical security income under gov state
SSDI stands for social security disablity insurance under gov federal

SSI you get meicard because they are not taxpayer
SSDI you get medical because they are taxpayer

You can buy a computer or a used car. Just be aware that you cannot have more than $2000 in assets or cash or money in bank accounts. I have a computer and it is fine with SSA.

Also, with SSDI you can make up to (I think) $800 a month. If you make over that amount in a month the month is counted in the "9 months trial period" and once you have a total of 9 months where you made more than $800 they will decide to cut you off since you have shown that you are able to support yourself with a steady income.

With SSI the rules are much stricter; you can make up to (I think) $80 a month before your SSI checks are decreased. And for every $2 you make over $80 they will deduct $1 from your SSI check.

Lucia, Do I can keep on SSI when after got job? I don't make enough money from job.

ideafspy

In mah 40 now, the reason why I got SSI is---- because I'am a sick baby & also goes for mah hearing loss which I can still hears with an hearing-aid, I was born with alots of health problems.....But in my 20's I used to works for Revlon Company (MakeUp & Beauty Products), which I love this job alots, but they laid me off after working there just 7 months---LIFE IS SHORT, I was very unhappy and did love that job......

Later I was in training for a couple day, but this mean lady stabbed mah back, so I left never come back and I walks......

Somehow mah bad health starting to developed, I was unable to work when I was in my 30's, but I can still works if they have a Computer job hiring, so I can just sits and not walks walks walks, because I have diabetes, my feets hurts alots.....

It's okay for deaf or hoh to get SSI while they're in school, onlys if they have disability problems or health problems, that included hearing loss and deafness, but while they're young they should works onlys for those who do not have any physical problem.....Like I said it's best to work first, my husband works for 4 years made little more money then I do, but they take out his child support out of his SSD, if you works 10 or 20 or more you will recieved more money from SSD when you decided to quit, retire or maybe if you ended up with some medical problems later on......

I understand about your situations, everything are Costly, I went to college for 7 months and quit, because they gave me a baby craps easy to read English, I was in public school in high school I had highest levels in English, they puts me back all the way to a baby english book, I got up and walks and never came back to that class, I had Arts class I enjoy, but it wasn't the right Arts class that I didn't ask for, Mostly they wanted you to go back to school again, from the way I see it, it just the same than'g in school, nothing different, so I left the college after 7 month and got a job and I got more freedom and roammmmms everywhere I goes......

Basically wherever you goes, they just wants money, you wanna break, go to college for a job, not schooling, my friend just graduated from college for a job she requested for Graphic Artist and now she want to go back to college to get a second college degree that paid more money for Graphic Artist and she's gonna hired me, I was exciting about that.......

Don't go to College that teaches just like all the school you went through, college have class for people who wants to have a successful job, you wants good job, they should have class for training, I tooks printing class for a job, but my teacher refused to puts me in a commerical artist, because there's no interpreter for that, sounded like discrimination to me, I didn't get that class while I was in mah senior, but I disliked printing class, it's not in my blood, oh well........I did got hired for packaging, but didn't get it, but wish I had accepted that job anyway, would had more money from SSD.....

It's okay for students to get SSI while they are in School but once they graduated, they needs to thinks about getting a job and how they would get more money from SSD, it doesn't hurts to work for 5 years or 10 years or more, it's worth it......At my Revlon job, I enjjjjjoyyyyed that job, it helped me thinks better, more active, says the right things, but living with SSI and not working, but sits around party or whatever they will not thinks better, less active and says the wrong things, believe me If AnyBody WORKS, it surely bulids up their Intelligent & Strength, it works for me and I miss that!!!

Don't feel rude from me. I just wonder, how old are you right now? What purpose/reason you got SSI?

I know that MOST oklahoma school for the deaf right now all student have SSI. Most they finish with school and didn't went work or college. It upset and want see them successful. I can't understand sometime. I used to have SSI while I went college.

I have got various reason but I do support for college reason. Due we are lack pay attention. we have to look interpreter and not teacher. Sound not fair, but college where is deaf campus is easier but money costs!

It no equal as fairness with college around on this USA.

Do & Don't Get SSI --Unless

Do get SSI----If you have a serious health problems or physcial disability unable to works...

Do get SSI while you are in school which helps you get everything you needs for school and clothing, foods, etcs...

Don't stay on SSI , not right after you graduated while you looks for a suitable job that you love to do, you can still use SSI when you are looking for a job, but you have 10 days to report to SSA to let them know you are working, if you do not report it in 10 day, SSA will take your money that you owe them for making too much money from your job...

Don't stay on SSI....If you are SuPeR HeAlThY, very active, etcs...

I know one person did that, he was working for several months or more and then he got a letter from SSA stating he owe $2,000.00 because he did not report within 10 days to let them know he was working, he tried to cheats on them, but he got busted anyway...

Another lady I know owe $5,000.00 for not reporting that she was working, she was trying to get away with it, but she got busted and has to pay all the $5,000.00 she owe, WHOOPSSSSSSS, make sure you report to SSA and let them know you are working, so you don't lose so much also when I used to work, I was honest and I did report to SSA that was I working part time and but while I was working, I was still getting $266.00 from SSI and they tooks 40 dollars out of my SSI that leave me $226.00 left, I onlys made about $1,000.00 in 7 month of working before they laid me off, that's not much ain't it ?.....

I know alots of people who do not have a hearing loss or deafness that get SSI, I've known them & met them, they are lazyyyyyyy, doing drugs and alcohols, there's nothing physically wrong with them, they can works, but they don't wanna work, I've been there, I don't like what I see what they're doing with that SSI money abusing for drugs and alcohols, it's stupidddd!!!

Warning: I heard on the News Report that in 10 years later everybody is gonna get cut off from SSI, for people who do not have a diability or health problems.....They will not touch your SSI unless you have a serious medical problems and are unable to work....

Another Problem is I was told that if the Government gets Broke, he will take your SSI money, you get nothing, you might live on the streets or stay with a friend or relatives, parents, sisters....

Yes this is very frightening, save your money just in case something like this happen in the near future or anytime we don't know when will this happen.

Last edited:
You can buy a computer or a used car. Just be aware that you cannot have more than $2000 in assets or cash or money in bank accounts. I have a computer and it is fine with SSA.

Also, with SSDI you can make up to (I think) $800 a month. If you make over that amount in a month the month is counted in the "9 months trial period" and once you have a total of 9 months where you made more than $800 they will decide to cut you off since you have shown that you are able to support yourself with a steady income.

With SSI the rules are much stricter; you can make up to (I think) $80 a month before your SSI checks are decreased. And for every $2 you make over $80 they will deduct $1 from your SSI check.

You're right, we can't have more than 2,000 dollars in assets or in banking acct. I still think you can possibly save cash and be hidden where no one knows. I've never had to do that but as far as having cash can be hidden without their knowledge. I've received an inheritance from a family member and bought a home for myself and daughter.. The SS asked me where I got the large money from, I told them I inherited it from a family member.. the SS put down as a gift so my SSI and SSD was not taken away. that was about 8 years ago.

It was up to $800 a month limit for those who works.. now they changed it to $860 a month.

You're right, we can't have more than 2,000 dollars in assets or in banking acct. I still think you can possibly save cash and be hidden where no one knows. I've never had to do that but as far as having cash can be hidden without their knowledge. I've received an inheritance from a family member and bought a home for myself and daughter.. The SS asked me where I got the large money from, I told them I inherited it from a family member.. the SS put down as a gift so my SSI and SSD was not taken away. that was about 8 years ago.

It was up to $800 a month limit for those who works.. now they changed it to $860 a month.

How about in an old sock hidden under the house? :giggle:

How about in an old sock hidden under the house? :giggle:
lol.. well, why would I want to do that if you know where I'm going to put it?.. If I decided to do what you suggested, then you'll come and find my money...??? I think not. :ugh3:

:jaw: 7 thousands dollars? wow that lots!

oh.. not too bad.... my boyfriend is a whole lot worse.. he has to pay back for the rest of his life.. you can do the math....

Lucia.. I just realize about the waiver... You're right.. I remember my boyfriend did the waiver and they turned him down. I wondered about that too. but I assumed they do have a form where you don't agree you should have to pay back and why. I'm not sure how it works now.

You can live off ssi? Please, tell us how.

Depends on some states but in the state of Maryland, it is almost impossibe to live off on SSI and support yourself. That was what I did as a grad student after my first hubby left me..I had bills from our marriage to pay, my car, our credit cards, my apt so i had to live with roommates cuz I couldnt afford to live on my own. It helped a lot and I was able to finish grad school on my own. Now, I am paying SSDI back but I dont mind cuz I see it as a student loan in a way.

I get all that stuff too and let me tell ya, 13 dollars a week in food stamps dont go far. btw, 8,400.00 bucks a year is signifcantly way below what the poverty line is.

Really? I get all that stuff too and let me tell ya, 13 dollars a week in food stamps dont go far. btw, 8,400.00 bucks a year is signifcantly way below what the poverty line is.

Yea, I agree with u.

Back