Sign Language Vs Lip reading

ravensteve1961

Reaction score
Sign Language Can be hard to memorize. All those hand signs you have to remember. Lip reading is easier than Sign Language just watch TV sometimes and try to get a sence on what theyre saying. Like i read lips from ballplayers and coaches. This is the only sign i know.
FootballSignal1.gif
FootballSignal2a.gif

not for me,, i only memorize all of sign languages most than sport signs!!! :D ..

TOF

I think sign language is easier, because despite the regional differences, it is essentially the same. With lip-reading, each person pronounces and enunciates differently. Don't get me started on mustaches and mumbling. Although there is mumbling in ASL, it's still usually easier to understand than lip-reading mumbling.

pinkster said:
I think sign language is easier, because despite the regional differences, it is essentially the same. With lip-reading, each person pronounces and enunciates differently. Don't get me started on mustaches and mumbling. Although there is mumbling in ASL, it's still usually easier to understand than lip-reading mumbling.
:werd: A guy has a beard and you can't read his lips. A guy signs "hi". A gal signs "hi". A kid signs "hi". All are the same. ;)

Not just people with facial hair either. A lot of people barely move their lips, or use expressive grins and such that mess me up with lip reading. I am late deafened, post lingual, so lip reading is more natural to me. But it can be very hard. I am learning ASL slowly. One sign at a time. And I am forcing my family to learn it in self defense!

I prefer signing, since I find lip-reading to be a very difficult task.

I prefer sign language because it's easier for me to understand more. I can read people's lips only if they are patience with me.

Sign language is the best, I can use. :D

Smack ASL! Cuz it is more fun than lipreading. ASL with expression and action is more interesting than lipreading dull. That's my opinion.

ravensteve1961 said:
Sign Language Can be hard to memorize. All those hand signs you have to remember. Lip reading is easier than Sign Language just watch TV sometimes and try to get a sence on what theyre saying. Like i read lips from ballplayers and coaches. This is the only sign i know.
FootballSignal1.gif
FootballSignal2a.gif
RS61, I admired sign language on earth in the UNIVERSE.. Thank God created me that way who I am on this land of the world.. I am proud for who the deaf I am... Sign language is MORE BEAUTIFUL.. You should thank this land of America's free speech.. any nations in the world don't allow kids or adults using sign language because various nations have many reasons , like religious, others.. Have you see any nations, people who take class's sign language in their country?? Because their countries never believe that FREE SPEECH IN their tribes, chiefs, others...

ckfarbes said:
any nations in the world don't allow kids or adults using sign language because various nations have many reasons , like religious, others..

I've met some Deaf people from Japan who have told me about how they were not allowed to use sign language on the street, because Japanese culture tends to frown upon people who display being different. I don't know if this is still true or if this was years ago, but I was still shocked to hear it!

ravensteve1961 said:
Sign Language Can be hard to memorize. All those hand signs you have to remember. Lip reading is easier than Sign Language

Lip reading is not a language. Don't think of sign language as coded-English (such as SEE). Go take an American Sign Language class in your area. You will see it becomes second nature after some practice. You'll be happy you did.

Steve

I'm not deaf, but I had hearing loss when I was younger. My mom tells me that when I was little, I'd tell her that I couldn't understand her because I couldn't see her lips. Lip-reading was something that just came naturally to me, no one taught me. To this day, even though I regained my hearing around the age of 9, I still find myself watching people's mouths when they speak. However, I prefer to sign. If it came needing lip-reading or signing, I'd choose to sign.

ravensteve1961 said:
Sign Language Can be hard to memorize. All those hand signs you have to remember. Lip reading is easier than Sign Language just watch TV sometimes and try to get a sence on what theyre saying.
Eh? You can't tell the difference between voiced and unvoiced consonants by lip reading; "b" and "p", "t" and "d", "s" and "z", "f" and "v" all look just alike. Have someone mouth "mat", "bat", and "pat" in a random order and see whether you can tell which is which.

VamPyroX said:
:werd: A guy has a beard and you can't read his lips.

Yeah like my chemistry teacher. I couldnt understand him cause when he talks to me all I see is the mustache dancing on his face.

Richard

A friend from another city told me this story.

He was teaching an ASL class to hearing students. One of the students asked him, "Why don't they just teach deaf kids to lip read?" He said (this is not verbatim), "OK, since you've all grown up and have heard English all your lives. Let's try this. I am going write something on a piece of paper. Then I will mouth it. Then I want you all to write down what I said."

He mouthed the sentence. Everyone wrote on a piece of paper "I love you". He then held up the piece of paper he had used. It said "Island view".

He then looked at the hearing girl who asked, "why not just teach them to lip read?" and said, "And that's why we teach deaf kids ASL."

Even for people who become deaf post-lingually, and for hearing people, lipreading is difficult at best. So many words look exactly the same on the lips, they ARE exactly the same. Lipreading is never something that can be fully mastered because it can't be perfected, no one can ever lipread with 100% accuracy all the time.
That said, ASL is an entire language. Although people can learn basic signs, to really communicate you need to be willing to learn the other language; no matter what, it will take time. However, especially if taught to young children by fluent speakers, it can be mastered. I'm learning ASL at high school age, from a community college, and I will probably never sign just like a native speaker. This doesn't mean that I won't be able to communicate clearly, or that I won't get to the point where I can fully understand ASL spoken to me; I will.
Neither lipreading nor sign language is something easy to learn when you are an adult. However, it seems to me, with lipreading you enter a world constantly trying to catch up, make sure the ignorant hearing person is looking at you, and hoping no one changes the topic or uses vocabulary you've never heard of that can't be explained. When learning ASL, you can, if respectful, learn about and possibly enter a wonderful community of people. You can speak a second language, and, with time, learn to communicate beautifully. I don't think there is much of a comparison.

Earlier I couldn't the sign language. For every time, I must lip reading. At the school, at the freetime. Everywhere!! That was a very hard time for me. I became often hurt head.

But today, I know the sign language. I prefer the sign language.

Here a picture about my life. Earlier and today....

Attachments

• Bild300.jpg
    Bild300.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 5
Back