Say No To Plastic Bags!

I always use a canvas bag to go to the grocery store as I don't like the plastic bags nor want to use the brown paper bags.

Besides the canvas bags are much more sturdier than grocery store bags.

My canvas bags always invite discussion about where I've been as my canvas bags has tourist destinations on it. Anytime I travel to a foreign place or city, I buy a canvas bag and stuff all my touristy mementos until the bag gets full. Then no more shopping for tourist mementos.

I come home and the canvas bags get used as grocery bags. Plus my store offers discount for using them.

Another way to save $$$$$. :)

The irony is that the plastic bag was created as a substitute for the old brown paper bags because plastic bags were more environmentally friendly! People were whining and crying about all the trees that had to be cut down to make paper bags, so the environmentalists forced the stores to switch to plastic bags. :lol:

I'd always favored the paper bags. They came from farmed trees, which made a win-win situation.

I'd always favored the paper bags. They came from farmed trees, which made a win-win situation.

However, more energy is required to make paper bags, which in turn means more polluction(sp?). I read this information in my supermarket company newsletter. I can post the article either tonight or tomorrow morning after I go to work.

Plastic bags here is free from most supermarkets like Safeways, Coles, except one german shop called Aldi. Next year, ALL supermarkets plastic bags will cost about 20c each.

Clothes shops will still supply free plastic bags!:eek3:

Plastic bags here is free from most supermarkets like Safeways, Coles, except one german shop called Aldi. Next year, ALL supermarkets plastic bags will cost about 20c each.

Serious?? How did you know?

The irony is that the plastic bag was created as a substitute for the old brown paper bags because plastic bags were more environmentally friendly! People were whining and crying about all the trees that had to be cut down to make paper bags, so the environmentalists forced the stores to switch to plastic bags. :lol:

WHAT!!!! :shock:
Environmentalists are suppose to know there´re good environment for use like this...

And tupperware boxes for fresh meats, sausages and cheeses.

There´s common like that here in Germany.

:confused:

Yes, I do care for environment. When my mom was here and going to Food Store. we were at the Cashier and stand near my mom. one Man did pack the thing in the plastic bags for us, but he took each the plastic bags. She was like shock... and told me. It is NOT environment. No no no!!!! i use the plastic bag for my bathroom trash. I know, we used the (no plastic) bag or box in Germany. I always left my box in my trunk car. by the Whoole Food used a papers bag, that is nice.
really, i always very disappoint about government from America.

:lol: Yes I know...

Yes I was shock to see a large shop (similar size as supermarket for foods, drinks, etc) for plastic and paper plates, cups, knife, forks, spoons, plastic champagne glass etc. etc. Everything... they print pretty flowers, animals, etc on paper plates and cups for children birthday party, wedding, anniversaries, etc. I was like wow ... it´s very bad environment... Soooo many plastic and paper plates, cups, everywhere in America. I saw a large trash bin for full plastic and papers plates, cups...

Peachlady & her husband :lol: at me when they saw me took and keep 2 plastic champagne glasses instead of throw them away to trash bin. I told them that I want to show them to my hubby, boys & friends... :lol: Of course Germans were :shock: when they saw plastic champagne glasses... I still have it here... :lol:

Yes, I posted the list of cotton bag, folder plastic box, etc to response Reba´s post... I use cotton bags for small shopping for ride a bicycle with basket. I use large cool bag and boxes for big shopping... and put them in back of car... We have folder box for foods in car.

:lol: Yes I know...

Yes I was shock to see a large shop (similar size as supermarket for foods, drinks, etc) for plastic and paper plates, cups, knife, forks, spoons, plastic champagne glass etc. etc. Everything... they print pretty flowers, animals, etc on paper plates and cups for children birthday party, wedding, anniversaries, etc. I was like wow ... it´s very bad environment... Soooo many plastic and paper plates, cups, everywhere in America. I saw a large trash bin for full plastic and papers plates, cups...

Peachlady & her husband :lol: at me when they saw me took and keep 2 plastic champagne glasses instead of throw them away to trash bin. I told them that I want to show them to my hubby, boys & friends... :lol: Of course Germans were :shock: when they saw plastic champagne glasses... I still have it here... :lol:

Yes, I posted the list of cotton bag, folder plastic box, etc to response Reba´s post... I use cotton bags for small shopping for ride a bicycle with basket. I use large cool bag and boxes for big shopping... and put them in back of car... We have folder box for foods in car.

Hehe :lol: you are a good one. I know, you and me do care about environment. It is so werid, when I got a coke. I was like :eek3: this is not glas glasses, it just plastic glasses. It taste not yummy.... :(
I prefer glas glasses.
I want next posts about separate glasses (brown, green, white) in the container. I want see, what their opinion about this different colors of glasses. okay!!!

WHAT!!!! :shock:
Environmentalists are suppose to know there´re good environment for use like this...

And tupperware boxes for fresh meats, sausages and cheeses.

There´s common like that here in Germany.[/COLOR]
:confused:
A lot of "environmental" causes are politically or financially motivated, and don't really improve the environment. Twenty years ago, environmentalists were concerned about global cooling instead of global warming.

Many "environmentalists" don't think thru their hypotheses or look at the big picture or the historical record. That's why I don't get too excited. I've seen it all before.

Americans use lots of Tupperware and Rubbermaid plastic storage products.

Now--pop quiz--what do environmentalists say about the manufacture and use of plastic products? :D

A lot of "environmental" causes are politically or financially motivated, and don't really improve the environment. Twenty years ago, environmentalists were concerned about global cooling instead of global warming.

Many "environmentalists" don't think thru their hypotheses or look at the big picture or the historical record. That's why I don't get too excited. I've seen it all before.

Americans use lots of Tupperware and Rubbermaid plastic storage products.

Now--pop quiz--what do environmentalists say about the manufacture and use of plastic products? :D

That's true! I have rubbermaid plastic storage products for food and organize things. I think Plastic bags need stop making. I personally don't like plastic bags. I like the earth bags for grocery. I can use plastic bags for bathroom's bin, bedroom's small bin, after i chopped the vegetable and fruits and meats. I can throw the bones, fatty, stems, and seeds in the plastic bag and throw it away.

I know the plastic bag is using for recycles. But everyone don't care about environment for recycles. I don't have a recycles because I live in apartment. That is the problem. If I have a house. I would use the recycle bins. I have to wash and rinses these put in recycles bins. It's too much work! My step dad always care about recycles.

http://http://www.ausfoodnews.com.au/2008/07/01/plastic-bag-levy-trial-to-commence-in-august.html

Plastic bag levy trial to commence in August
July 1, 2008
Daniel Palmer
Source: ANRA
A proposed trial to test a 10 cent charge on plastic bags is planned to start in August at three locations in Victoria, CEO of the Australian National Retailers Association (ANRA) Margy Osmond said today.

ANRA and the Victorian Government today announced that an application to authorise the trial of a temporary charge on plastic bags has been submitted to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission. Trial authorisation is required under the Trade Practices Act as it will involve retailers collectively setting a price for plastic bags.

If approved by the ACCC, Coles, Safeway and IGA will participate in the one month trial. The trial is to test a 10 cent charge at the Fountain Gate shopping centre (Narre Warren) and nearby stores, Warrnambool and Wangaratta.

“Modelling for the Australian Government shows that a 10 cent charge on plastic bags could result in an 80 per cent reduction in bag use, and an 86 per cent reduction in litter,” Mrs Osmond advised.

Mrs Osmond added that retailers are leading the way and consumers are beginning to get the message about plastic bag use. “Woolworths and Coles have led the way by giving consumers an alternative to plastic bags by providing green bags and recycling facilities,” she claimed. “Australians are kicking their plastic bag habit. Between 2002 and 2007 Australians reduced their plastic bag use by 34 per cent.”

Mrs Osmond indicated retailers will not profit from the charge with the proceeds redirected toward environmental projects and community education..

The data from the trial will be collected and analysed by an independent body before being considered at the next meeting of State, Territory and Commonwealth Environment Ministers (EPHC) in November 2008.

The issue of plastic bags has been a major talking point this year with state governments seemingly unwilling to commit to the same strategy. So far the only official decisions have been from Victoria and South Australia - which has decided on a complete ban by the beginning of next year. The effectiveness of a levy has been questioned, with some concerned convenience could still dictate consumer purchase of the bags, while a complete ban is difficult to administer.

I think that we'll always find a way to get through without plastic bags. That's why if we 'need' plastic bags for trash, it means figuring out a way to make less trash. They sell those small plastic bags for bathroom bins. The only difference is that it's free from the grocery stores, but that's the whole point. We need to be made responsible for trashing America.

I have seen on rare ocassions certain people deny bags or bring their own canvas bag at my other job.

It's all possible, but it depends on if one is lazy about bringing their bags. It becomes routine once you do make yourself bring your own canvas bags. It's going to be a change back to what people used to shop with years ago.

I saw a documentary on tv about birds in the ocean swallowing plastics. You could see birds skeletons and their stomach area is full of plastic bits. They say they are amazed at how they live years with that in their stomach. I can't remember how it makes it possible, but it's sad how the birds think they are food.

It's so odd how some companies make so many wraps in one product.

In our area, we can only recycle plastic 1 or 2 inside the triangle. We can't recycle glass. One way is to be conscious to buy only recycable products to reduce landfill trash. The vegetables and food scraps can be thrown in a compost bin. I don't know how this can be done in an apartment because it will stink.

However, more energy is required to make paper bags, which in turn means more polluction(sp?). I read this information in my supermarket company newsletter. I can post the article either tonight or tomorrow morning after I go to work.

I don't see an article reference. I do enjoy when peoples get a job. No job means I get robbed, mugged, and/or murdered. Sock it to me, child, then we'll need to find a solution that makes everybody happy.

Seattle Washington is doing the same thing.....

Back