Private Messages & E-mails: ON or OFF?

VamPyroX

bloody phreak from hell
Reaction score
I've noticed that some of you have your account set up so that you cannot receive PMs and/or emails.

(Except for those who are new and have less than 100 posts.)

Is there a reason why you're doing this? If you don't want to tell us, that's fine.

The reason for asking is because it can become bothersome for some members when they're trying to say something in private.

For instance, one member might post something in a thread about deaf schools. Another member might have something important to say that shouldn't be said in public, but it's something that would be really beneficial to that other member. Yet, a PM or email cannot be sent because that member has those features turned off. A lot of valuable information is being "accidentally" rejected and there's nothing we can do about it.

Also, having these two features turned off is like saying... "Only I can talk, but you can't talk to me! Too bad!" This thing is a definite turn-off for others. It makes others feel unwelcome. It's like posting an essay and refuse any criticism on it.

Some of you might say, "But, I don't want anyone to know my email address!"

Well, that shouldn't be a problem. Your email address will not appear in your profile. The "Send a message via email to VamPyroX" feature will only load up a form for the sender to type in a message. That message will go to your email account. If you don't want that person to know your email address, then don't reply. The sender will never know your email address unless you reply to that message using your email account. Of course, the sender's email address will be revealed to the recipient when that message is sent.

In other words, if Member A wants to send a message to Member B... but Member A doesn't want his email address revealed, then Member A should use PM instead of e-mail. If Member A is fine with his email being revealed using the e-mail feature, then Member A can go ahead and send a message. If Member B receives that message, but doesn't want to reveal her e-mail address... she can simply ignore the email or go online to send a PM to Member A.

Of course, this will depend on if Member A and Member B have their PMs and e-mails set for ON.

This is a happy forum. We all should be happy and friendly here. If you don't like the messages you're getting, simply ignore them and/or report them to us mods.

Having them turned off, you're getting any good messages rejected at 100%. Having them turned on, you're getting any good messages accepted at 90% or something. 10% junk isn't going to harm you. ;)

I don't know about anyone else...but I know for me...I'm totally confused after reading this. :/

I don't know about anyone else...but I know for me...I'm totally confused after reading this. :/
Sorry...

The basic question was...

Are your PMs or E-mails turned off? Do you allow members to send you a PM or e-mail through AllDeaf? If not, why?

If members wants to turn off their private messages and emails, I don't care, it's their choice. Maybe they have their reasons. :dunno:

mine is not turned off. i let other members to pm me or email me if they want to. I dont mind...

I think PM need to be unlock when reach 10 post instead hundred since I felt it's normal that no scammer would send spamming PM to anyone.

Some members have stalkers and get disturbing pms or e-mails so they prefer turning pm and/or emails off.

To me , I leave them on

If members wants to turn off their private messages and emails, I don't care, it's their choice. Maybe they have their reasons. :dunno:
I have no problems with members doing that, but it's how they act while doing so.

It's like I mentioned above. Suppose you posted a thread talking about how you would like to meet people in your area. Some members may be open and willing to reveal that they live in the same area as you do. Some members may prefer to send you a message in private because they don't want the whole world to know that they live close to you. However, you set your account to not receive emails or PMs. You have lost that opportunity to meet that member.

Some members have stalkers and get disturbing pms or e-mails so they prefer turning pm and/or emails off.

To me , I leave them on
Yeah, there will always be someone annoying like that.

It's actually very easy to ignore, especially when it's on the computer.

I can understand someone standing in front of you and trying to sell something to you. But that's what makes it so good having the internet. If someone sends you a PM, just ignore it. If someone emails you, just ignore it. Simple as that. They're not standing in front of in person pestering you. Instead, they've handed you a paper and you have a choice of keeping that paper or just throw it away. :)

Also, if someone bothers you in PM... that's where us mods come in. Simply forward the PM to us and we'll take care of it if necessary. After all, don't we all help each other? :)

I think PM need to be unlock when reach 10 post instead hundred since I felt it's normal that no scammer would send spamming PM to anyone.

I think 10 post is too low, maybe 25?

Anyone can simply reply to 25 "Introduce Yourself" threads and have the power to send PMs. It's very easy to get 25 posts in one day... or one hour.

I agree with you Vampy,your're right it is very easy.

Sorry...

The basic question was...

Are your PMs or E-mails turned off? Do you allow members to send you a PM or e-mail through AllDeaf? If not, why?

No need to say sorry ;). Your message was clear... it was me who was having trouble decoding. Thanks for the clarification.

My PM is turned on. I don't mind anyone can talk to me in PM if they want to. I have no idea why people don't have pm and use the email only. May they need to check the edit option column.

Private Message Edit

I have a question. In case if someone threat on me in PM. Which they are not my contact lists. Do I should to put mark on "you may limit the receipt of Private Message to just Moderators and your contacts only" Is that right?

"You may limit the receipt of private messages to just moderators and your contacts. Other members who attempt to send messages to you will be told that you have disabled private messaging.
Receive Private Messages only from Contacts and Moderators" I copied and paste it here from edit PM.

Last edited:
I had to take out my email a couple months ago because I had a couple of newbies email me because they could not use the PM.

I have a question. In case if someone threat on me in PM. Which they are not my contact lists. Do I should to put mark on "you may limit the receipt of Private Message to just Moderators and your contacts only" Is that right?

"You may limit the receipt of private messages to just moderators and your contacts. Other members who attempt to send messages to you will be told that you have disabled private messaging.
Receive Private Messages only from Contacts and Moderators" I copied and paste it here from edit PM.
If someone threatens you, forward the PM to me or any other mod.

If it was sent to you by email through AllDeaf, send a PM as well.

Back