Postmaster General: Mail days may need to be cut

Maria

Premium Member
Reaction score
Postmaster General: Mail days may need to be cut
By RANDOLPH E. SCHMID, Associated Press Writer Randolph E. Schmid, Associated Press Writer – 25 mins ago

WASHINGTON – Massive deficits could force the post office to cut out one day of mail delivery, the postmaster general told Congress on Wednesday, in asking lawmakers to lift the requirement that the agency deliver mail six days a week.

If the change happens, that doesn't necessarily mean an end to Saturday mail delivery. Previous post office studies have looked at the possibility of skipping some other day when mail flow is light, such as Tuesday.

Faced with dwindling mail volume and rising costs, the post office was $2.8 billion in the red last year. "If current trends continue, we could experience a net loss of $6 billion or more this fiscal year," Potter said in testimony for a Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs subcommittee.

Total mail volume was 202 billion items last year, over 9 billion less than the year before, the largest single volume drop in history.

And, despite annual rate increases, Potter said 2009 could be the first year since 1946 that the actual amount of money collected by the post office declines.

"It is possible that the cost of six-day delivery may simply prove to be unaffordable," Potter said. "I reluctantly request that Congress remove the annual appropriation bill rider, first added in 1983, that requires the Postal Service to deliver mail six days each week."

"The ability to suspend delivery on the lightest delivery days, for example, could save dollars in both our delivery and our processing and distribution networks. I do not make this request lightly, but I am forced to consider every option given the severity of our challenge," Potter said.

That doesn't mean it would happen right away, he noted, adding that the agency is working to cut costs and any final decision on changing delivery would have to be made by the postal governing board.

If it did become necessary to go to five-day delivery, Potter said, "we would do this by suspending delivery on the lightest volume days."

The Postal Service raised the issue of cutting back on days of service last fall in a study it issued. At that time the agency said the six-day rule should be eliminated, giving the post office, "the flexibility to meet future needs for delivery frequency.

A study done by George Mason University last year for the independent Postal Regulatory Commission estimated that going from six-day to five-day delivery would save the post office more than $1.9 billion annually, while a Postal Service study estimated the saving at $3.5 billion.

The next postal rate increase is scheduled for May, with the amount to be announced next month. Under current rules that would be limited to the amount of the increase in last year's consumer price index, 3.8 percent. That would round to a 2-cent increase in the current 42-cent first class rate.

The agency could request a larger increase because of the special circumstances, but Potter believes that would be counterproductive by causing mail volume to fall even more.

Dan G. Blair, chairman of the Postal Regulatory Commission, noted in his testimony that cutting service could also carry the risk of loss of mail volume. He suggested Congress review both delivery and restrictions it imposed on the closing of small and rural post offices.

The post office's problem is twofold, Potter explained.

"A revolution in the way people communicate has structurally changed the way America uses the mail," with a shift from first-class letters to the Internet for personal communications, billings, payments, statements and business correspondence.

To some extent that was made up for my growth in standard mail — largely advertising — but the economic meltdown has resulted in a drop there also.

Potter also asked that Congress ease the requirement that it make advance payments into a fund to cover future health benefits for retirees. Last year the post office was required to put $5.6 billion into the fund.

"We are in uncharted waters," Potter said. "But we do know that mail volume and revenue — and with them the health of the mail system — are dependent on the length and depth of the current economic recession."

He proposed easing the retirement pre-funding for eight years, while promising that the agency will cover the premiums for retirement health insurance.

At the same hearing the General Accounting Office agreed that the post office is facing an urgent need for help to preserve its financial strength. But the GAO suggested easing the pre-funding requirement for only two years, with Congress to determine the need for more relief later.

Potter noted that the agency has cut costs by $1 billion per year since 2002, reduced its work force by 120,000, halted construction of new facilities except in emergencies, frozen executive salaries and is in the process of reducing its headquarters work force by 15 percent.

Postmaster General: Mail days may need to be cut - Yahoo! News

In Canada, it's Monday to Friday. Been like that for a long time.

I do not see anything wrong with that.

I usually get bills and junk mail anyways. :lol:

But, it will also cut back on the postal staffs income. :hmm:

I do not see anything wrong with that.

I usually get bills and junk mail anyways. :lol:

But, it will also cut back on the postal staffs income. :hmm:

Watch what they will do.

They will cut back the hours and turn around and increase our mail rate. :lol:

Puts addt'l unnecessary strain on small/home businesses that rely on shipping services. This will destroy much of eBay. Well, not destroy, more like annoy it a lot.

In response, new couriers may start showing up soon or even UPS/FEDEX/etc are going to start getting more popular. It also decreases earnings for the US post office, because that extra day is one day of profits lost.

Dang!

Them stamps price!

Thank goodness I only send off bills and occasional cards.

I normally use E mails to keep in touch with family and friends.

Snail Mail is mainly used for junk mail and bills nowadays.

Dang!

Them stamps price!

Thank goodness I only send off bills and occasional cards.

I normally use E mails to keep in touch with family and friends.

Snail Mail is mainly used for junk mail and bills nowadays.

Yep, I was wondering when I saw the headlines who still uses mail that much?

wouldn't make much difference to me anyway-mostly bills and catalogs I don't want.

I remember the mail would come twice a day when I was a kid!! That was when people wrote more letters than they do now.

Come on you guys, open your mind a little. The Post office isn't just about snail mail.. The new online ordering stuff is the new revolution, if you've been doing that. You also save a lot of money if you know where to look on buying specific things online. It appears to me a lot of the older generation seems more paranoid to this, and prefer B&M retail (BM = Brick & Mortar) stores to get their stuff, but in the long run you spent more money than someone buying it @ wholesale prices online.

Right now, I'm fairly confident to say in the SOHO business world (Small office, Home office) that USPS is the dominant courier service for most individuals. SOHO's been growing and still growing as we speak..

Click, Buy, Sell, Ship, US/INTL Money Orders, Rush/overnight air deliveries, passports, just think about everything the USPS does. All of these are going to be gone 1 extra day a week. And that's like what, 40-50 days a year? It'll sting when the numbers start piling up.

Come on you guys, open your mind a little. The Post office isn't just about snail mail.. The new online ordering stuff is the new revolution, if you've been doing that. You also save a lot of money if you know where to look on buying specific things online. It appears to me a lot of the older generation seems more paranoid to this, and prefer B&M retail (BM = Brick & Mortar) stores to get their stuff, but in the long run you spent more money than someone buying it @ wholesale prices online.

Click, Buy, Sell, Ship, US/INTL Money Orders, Rush/overnight air deliveries, passports, just think about everything the USPS does. All of these are going to be gone 1 extra day a week. And that's like what, 40-50 days a year? It'll sting when the numbers start piling up.

Online services don't have anything to do with scheduled mail deliveries. That is what the article is about. Cutting delivery days, not other services.

Post Office are trying to cut back to avoid more billions of dollars red ink. When Economic goes bad, they'll cut back. When economic get better, they'll expands. MGMT are trying to save money and jobs without laying off career employees.

Stations will cut back to 5 days instead of 6 days. It all DEPENDS on individual cities. Some still require 6 days service regardless, some can cut back to 5 days. City carriers will be working 5 days a week instead of 6 days and have weekends off. Which means either Saturday or Monday service would not be available depending on each cities. It may be hassle to some customers and Ebayers. Remember back in 70's, city carriers back in old day used to deliver mail 7 days a week, then cut back to 6 days a week back in 80's then now 5 days a week. They're not gonna to cut back any more. Who's the blame? Economics.

I do not believe that Courier biz would try take over PO. PO had been running for more than 200 years since Benjamin Franklin and would not be privatized. The real reason is because If privatized the PO, you will lose security of your mail. Pretty much like UPS that if package get damaged and UPS just brush off.

PO is a high security work place, there are plenty of covered catwalks with one-way little window every 5 foot apart so Postal Inspector can observe employees to be sure they are not stealing mail. Millions of dollars going though PO every day and companies, banks, and customers mails check, cash and things of value through Post Office. Also to prevent Identity Theft too. That's the reason it's best not to privatize Post Office because If they do, Postal Inspection would not be around and private courier would cut back security by greedy CEO and if you lose your payment check, cash or things of value, it'll be your problem.

To be honest with you. It may be a temporary setback and PO is sitting tight and wait for bad Economic to pass by. Increasing stamp price would be counterproductive because it'll decrease mail volumes and hurt the PO (just like Postmaster Potter say).

PO was Congress's cash cow back then until Postal Reform law passed to stop them from milking cash from PO when it was in red ink.

Remember Economic would be really sucky this year and lot of pissed people. We are spoiled generation and need to get a taste of Depression era (almost).

Catty

Last edited:
As self-employed people, Hubby and I depend on the mail to deliver our checks.

Hubby uses mostly UPS for his business supplies deliveries.

I order a lot of things on-line, and they are delivered by UPS, FED-EX, and USPS.

I feel sorry for elderly people who look forward to their daily mail, even the junk. :(

As self-employed people, Hubby and I depend on the mail to deliver our checks.

Hubby uses mostly UPS for his business supplies deliveries.

I order a lot of things on-line, and they are delivered by UPS, FED-EX, and USPS.

I feel sorry for elderly people who look forward to their daily mail, even the junk. :(

Well I also think that their mailman/mailwoman are the only contact they have that day and they look forward to a simple, "Hello."

Yes I do know what you mean.

I heard about that too. Two days off a week for them...just like us :lol:

I normally pay my bills online. The only two I just go in stores to pay my bills. So it will be a good thing, no more JUNK MAIL!!! There are some days, we do get JUNK mail, and I think it is waste of time and postages and no wonder they cannot afford to deliver these mails anymore these days and with the gas price being so high also. Well, guys if that is gonna happen, isn't it another good thing...it will give us two days off gathering our mails in the dark, in storms, or sunshine... :D

Isn't it a good thing we do get emails instead of Post mails...We normally emails to friends and families instead of mailing them letters these days...so I am expecting something would happen to Post office one of these days. So it did finally came...

This would be a bit of a nuisance for those that subscribe to netflix and like services.

Online services don't have anything to do with scheduled mail deliveries. That is what the article is about. Cutting delivery days, not other services.

Whoops, I've been mistaken then, I thought they were going to be closing the PO completely for that day. Re-read the article. I still stand by my first statement though, this is still going to be a hassle for those (SOHO) who rely on parcel deliveries. One day of no deliveries can mean a lot to some people, although not all.

purplecatty:
icon14.gif
Good posting.

Back