Postmaster General: Mail days may need to be cut

As self-employed people, Hubby and I depend on the mail to deliver our checks.

Hubby uses mostly UPS for his business supplies deliveries.

I order a lot of things on-line, and they are delivered by UPS, FED-EX, and USPS.

I feel sorry for elderly people who look forward to their daily mail, even the junk. :(

Well, the front porch is gone, too, and I feel worse about that than not getting mail on, say, Tuesday. :lol:

Well, the front porch is gone, too, and I feel worse about that than not getting mail on, say, Tuesday. :lol:

Eldery still will have mail on Monday anyway. Like I mentioned on post above u. They will process mail on friday or saturday nite then deliver to station by Monday early a.m. And carrier will have it delivered on time. PO planned cut back to 5 days delivery and service instead of 6 days. Which mean no mail coming to customer home on Saturday nor service at Station. Station will be open to public Saturday for PO box pickup, purchase stamp, and deliver parcel all via Automated Postal machine.

So customers still get mail Mon to Fri.

Catty

Wouldn't the local pharmacy deliver it any given day of the week?

Some have it mail ordered due to privacy reasons.

Afterall-- do you want your pharmacist to know that you are taking Viagara at a such young age? :lol:

Yep, I was wondering when I saw the headlines who still uses mail that much?

spammers. :mad2: Post Office seriously need to revise its pricing system especially for marketers. Damn marketers are taking advantage of post office's cheap shipping/mailing system.

beside - purplecatty's right. this is simply in a response to economic and it's temporary.

As self-employed people, Hubby and I depend on the mail to deliver our checks.

Hubby uses mostly UPS for his business supplies deliveries.

I order a lot of things on-line, and they are delivered by UPS, FED-EX, and USPS.

I feel sorry for elderly people who look forward to their daily mail, even the junk. :(

really? damn..... I didn't think of that... :(

Makes sense to save their money by cutting off Saturdays. They have no choice.

Eldery still will have mail on Monday anyway. Like I mentioned on post above u. They will process mail on friday or saturday nite then deliver to station by Monday early a.m. And carrier will have it delivered on time. PO planned cut back to 5 days delivery and service instead of 6 days. Which mean no mail coming to customer home on Saturday nor service at Station. Station will be open to public Saturday for PO box pickup, purchase stamp, and deliver parcel all via Automated Postal machine.

So customers still get mail Mon to Fri.

Catty

I agree that. Good point!

the only downside I see to this is that mail carriers will lose a day of work. Maybe they can make up for it with other duties at the post office. Other than that, I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner.

the only downside I see to this is that mail carriers will lose a day of work. Maybe they can make up for it with other duties at the post office. Other than that, I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner.

My deaf friend who work for PO carrier. he told me that he would get hell to work for delivering lots of snail mails on Monday if cutting day off on Saturday.

My deaf friend who work for PO carrier. he told me that he would get hell to work for delivering lots of snail mails on Monday if cutting day off on Saturday.

since most of the snail mail these days seems to be junk mail that nobody wants, the post office has only itself to blame, for encouraging advertising businesses to use the post office. If the PO stopped carrying junk mail, I bet they'd have so little business that mail would be delivered three days a week, if not two.

Your friend should be thankful he still has a job. I know it's a tough one, but at least it's a job. :)

Several of my friends too are city carriers. I know what they hate the most what I runs in plant, I felt sorry for them when I see it, certain type of junk mail which are heavy to carry on tray and are a little thick. It'll be a hell for them Mondays but light on Friday for them :giggle: I told them what can I do?? :shrug:

Catty

since most of the snail mail these days seems to be junk mail that nobody wants, the post office has only itself to blame, for encouraging advertising businesses to use the post office. If the PO stopped carrying junk mail, I bet they'd have so little business that mail would be delivered three days a week, if not two.

Your friend should be thankful he still has a job. I know it's a tough one, but at least it's a job. :)

It's part of PO's survival to keep budget floating tho. What you hate the most is PO's best profit :shrug:

i hope they institute this change. my sister is a mail carrier for USPS and works 13 hours a day monday-saturday. it would be nice if she could have 2 days off/week.

I think if they do reduce delivery down to 5 days a week, they're most likely still going to continue to deliver on Saturdays. If I'm not mistaken, the PO General would do it on a day when mail flow usually tends to be lightest, such as on Tuesdays.

i'm going to have to ask my sister if she knows anything about this. i'd be curious to know the exact details.

Mail flow still really depends on the place we're talking about though... My parents have and still do SOHO business with ebay; they are older but this is the source of income for them at this point in time. I used to help them out prior to college, so I have an understanding on how the ebay community really works - been a member/seller since 1997.

For some, it is to wait for checks and money from customers to come in the mail if they do, and ship out merchant goods everyday. The POs in California, or rather, Southern California (I've very rarely been to others especially out of state), are extremely packed everyday at all times, except for the mornings when everyone's usually at the offices. If you were to go right now, to all 5 post office within a 10 mile radius from my city, at 4:53PM, just 7 minutes from closing time - I bet you there's 20-30 people waiting in line AT each and every post office just right now, trying to get their last minute deliveries out.

Keep in mind this is the WHOLE USA we are talking about here, not just your local city USPS station, and not just about how you as your own self get mail. Thus I can understand why it is slow for other parts of the state(s). But, yeah, hopefully it'll just go the way PCat stated, one day off for slower areas/states, and leave the rest alone.

Back