Obama ASL

Thanks for the cool link. Some of those Presidents really rocked with foreign languages!

BTW, did you notice how many of them learned Latin? ;)

(Re: your teasing of me for learning Latin.) :lol:

Me 2. Can read and write it but not speak it.

I'll vote Obama if he do the sign language, more than a sentence. No matter if he destroy America. Serious....
sadly you are not alone

sadwalk.gif

List of multilingual Presidents of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

you must have found a verifiable source claiming that Bush is fluent in spanish unless.... you weren't referring to Bush either.

Who said fluent? I said he can have a basic conversation. I found lots of sources for that, you can too, and probably had to ignore them to find the one you cited.

I also did not say anything indicating only Bush had more than one language. I said between Bush and Obama, Bush spoke more of a second language than Obama did.

Look, if you're that impressed that the President signed 'thank-you,' you are pretty easy, that's all. It's nice. That's all.

I am more impressed with his wife, although I thought it odd that when she hugged the deaf woman she continued to talk to her orally, even though her mouth was then behind the woman's head. Still, that's kind of just a habit thing.

Thanks for the cool link. Some of those Presidents really rocked with foreign languages!

BTW, did you notice how many of them learned Latin? ;)

(Re: your teasing of me for learning Latin.) :lol:

oh you! I feel like.... we're in The Goonies where knowing latin did indeed come in handy. (actually it was Spanish in that movie)

I think it is always a positive thing when someone puts forth the effort to address or respond to someone in their native language - even if it is only a "hello", "thank you" or "you're welcome".

I think it is always a positive thing when someone puts forth the effort to address or respond to someone in their native language - even if it is only a "hello", "thank you" or "you're welcome".

Not really when it's a politician. IMO. It just goes with the job. Pander pander pander.

While I only know very little sign what would impress me would be if he had taken the time to have a conversation with them even if through an interpreter! But alas he did not! :shock:

Kind of like if you don't know Spanish and you pander to a group of Spanish-speaking crowd and say "Hola!" or "Thank you" to a deaf crowd over and over and over....not really impressive.

I would say wow if he ever said thank you in sign language to me because it is rare for any hearing people to sign to me. Many time when people come to me and realized I am deaf then they signed me not greatly but at least they signed to me. I would say wow because they signed to me instead of talk to me and expect me to read their lips. Yeah I said wow to Obama for signed to this deaf young man. It made me day and smile. What is wrong with you guys here.

Palin signed "Thank you" at the end of her Republican National Convention speech. Even a few "ILY" signs during her campaigning, too. Nice but still pandering.

I haven't seen anyone say it was a negative or bad thing. Just that it's really not a news story... Although, I did read the post that Obama tweeted about it so now it is :lol:

If he were taking ASL classes, or had a private tutor...that would be newsworthy. But for a politician (or anyone for that matter) to say/sign "thank you" in any language, to me is no more than a polite handshake... Par for the course.

I would say wow if he ever said thank you in sign language to me because it is rare for any hearing people to sign to me. Many time when people come to me and realized I am deaf then they signed me not greatly but at least they signed to me. I would say wow because they signed to me instead of talk to me and expect me to read their lips. Yeah I said wow to Obama for signed to this deaf young man. It made me day and smile. What is wrong with you guys here.

Different experiences I guess. I get signed to by hearing people daily. It's nice that they make an effort...but I still don't see anything "wow" about it.

Palin signed "Thank you" at the end of her Republican National Convention speech. Even a few "ILY" signs during her campaigning, too. Nice but still pandering.

But, that is a soldier gesture for "Thank You"... Not actual ASL "Thank You".

But I do remember Sarah Plain, through I was thought it was great to see her used it. But it seems everyone hates her. So, it is probably easy to forget her...

Back