Interpreter's "lines"

Amby

Reaction score
:crazy: I was just wondering if any of you had any interpreters where you were starting to get personal... but- isn't that normal for some deaf people to be able to get a bit personal with their interpreters since you work what, 8 hours with them every day of the school week? All of sudden, she says that there's a line.. and it has to stop there... does it make any sense? :stupid: post.. but I hope you all will be patient enough to answer....

I think I know what you mean...Interpreters just don't want to get close to you, she/he just doing their job...its like they didnt come to work to make friends -- just came to work to do their job. Is that what you mean?

Oh well. I had an interpreter who worked at my old public school back in 1987-1988 (I was around 12-13 yr old), it was her first interpreter job with me. So since then we've been close friends, stay in touch with each other by letters now via email. She even mailed me gifts for my birthday & christmas -- yeah, she spoiled me. :lol: She'd come to visit me at my home, take me out to go shopping or whatever. She'd make fun of some people, laugh at them with me, I'd laugh along with her, etc. She's really cool person. That time she was only around age 23-24, no kids, engaged...Now she's married, have 3 children...she stopped sending me gifts after she got kids -- I don't have problem with that, it doesn't bother me at all. Sometimes I'd stop by to visit her, play with her kids and etc. She's really sweet and I'm glad that she's my friend.

Wow.. yeah u have a great interpreter there. Well the one I have - shes new, shes been only interpreting me for almost 2 years now.. but yeah thats what I meant.. hm.
my old interpreter and I- we were great, I knew her ever since I was 5, but her husband got relocated, so they moved to FLA.. sucky. sighs. oh well. smiles. Im glad for you!! :D

I have some personal friend who is interepter. they are cool and respects, one of interperter is daughter of deaf couple.

I have one of my interpreter who is interpreter himself and a teacher himself. He interpreted for me the last year of my high school and also during 6 years before the last year, he was my resource teacher. we both got so close to eachother and became really good friends. He helped me a lot to get through my emotional and problems with other interpreters. Before I left to go to RIT for college... He told me that he will always be right next to me and will always PRAY all the way through as I decide what I really want to do for my own well beings and wishes. So he has been asking my own mom to see how I am and everything. He is so glad that I am doing very well right now. It did touch my heart that he does care about me and wanting to be there for me because he has been seeing a lot of things that my mom and I had been going through throughout school years for 7 years trying to fights for my rights. Shessh those 7 years are the HELL years for me. But I am glad that I am out of those 7 HELL years for myself and my mom too :roll: during those 7 hell years, I felt like I was :locked: in no where! Shessh :roll:

Originally posted by LezArtist
I have one of my interpreter who is interpreter himself and a teacher himself. He interpreted for me the last year of my high school and also during 6 years before the last year, he was my resource teacher. we both got so close to eachother and became really good friends. He helped me a lot to get through my emotional and problems with other interpreters. Before I left to go to RIT for college... He told me that he will always be right next to me and will always PRAY all the way through as I decide what I really want to do for my own well beings and wishes. So he has been asking my own mom to see how I am and everything. He is so glad that I am doing very well right now. It did touch my heart that he does care about me and wanting to be there for me because he has been seeing a lot of things that my mom and I had been going through throughout school years for 7 years trying to fights for my rights. Shessh those 7 years are the HELL years for me. But I am glad that I am out of those 7 HELL years for myself and my mom too :roll: during those 7 hell years, I felt like I was :locked: in no where! Shessh :roll:

That's a great interpreter u had there!! Congrats- not alot will do that. :)

I've been blessed a lot with really good interpreters, professionally and non. When I moved out to Colorado, I had a number of interps before i got a permanant one. Keep in mind, i was the only Deaf kid in school, and I didnt really see much of my mom (who signs). She was my only ASL outlet, together we had a BLAST. She ended up being a really great advocate. She took me to church, she came to my senior breakfast and capping ceremony, she was just there whenever my own mom wasnt. My parents never went to any of my track meets, which disappointed me. But Paula was there for me at all times. In the beginning tho, there was that line - but you cant make it stick forever :D

But at the same time, I had an interp who was a freakin B-I-T-C-H! She was, personally, a nusiance, and professionally - unprofessional. :) Make sense? She confronted me about something I said to the director about not wanting her to interpret my psych eval, RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF CLASS!! eh ... so yeah, she got my vote to be transferred. =X

really nice to hear these interpreter/student success stories. i've been interpreting since 96 and i used to really get emotionally involved, hey i'm human right. the last few years this has really back fired on me. i don't know it seems like the students just don't care any more. i'm finding it easier on my heart and emotions to freelance and work in higher educational settings where i'm more of the interpreter "machine" model. i really need a pep talk because my high school and elementary students simply don't care. the hours of volunteer tutoring and teaching seems meaningless. i'm not bitter just disappointed. i've been working with one student for 5 years, one year from graduation and one day she drops out. lately, i'm pretty much the terp that comes in and out and that's simply not my personality. also, i'm the only terp at my school with both a college degree and interpreting credentials, so who do think the parents and students request. someone help here, i'm considering a career change. my brother, who is deaf and in high school himself told me i can't save the world. my answer was i'm only trying do my part. peace

I know what you mean. There are interpreters who do their best to translate what the teachers say. Recently, someone told me that students are only getting 25% of what the teacher is saying through the interpreters. I find that hard to believe because I can hear myself and when I watch the teacher and interpreter, I see that my interpreter usually signs at least 90% of what is really being said.

It all depends on the interpreters.

I've had one for a college math class who would just listen and watch the teacher writing on the chalkboard while talking. I have repeatly attempted to tell this interpreter to interpret everything that is being spoke. It took a while to get this interpreter to understand and know that this interpreter cannot make decsisons to determine what I should hear and what I should not hear.

Some of the other interpreters were different. The best one I had was using SEE and could interpreter almost every word that was being spoke. I think it was because this interpreter has been around this professor for a while to grasp more understanding of the speaker.

feel for you silencegold. it should be simple. you request SEE sign and the interpreter provides you with that. i don't know to many terps that are truely skilled in SEE sign. most either transliterate or interpret. here's my question? you said the one terp had been around the professor more so the interpreter could better grasp what was being said. i don't understand. SEE sign involves hearing the message and using a particular mode which really doens't invovle much or any conceptual accuracy. you simply listen and sign exact english. the interpreter should sgn everything because that is what SEE sign is all about. should have been an easy assignment for the terp. i love interpreting math especially when the teacher is highly visual. good luck and god bless.

Yeah, some of my interpreters came from deaf families and so I would see them around sometimes. My friend's aunt is an interpreter as well, so I got to see her often. The interpreters where I live have a professional code of ethics so they're not allowed to get too close to the person they're interpreting for. Still, in an all hearing situation, it's nice to have someone else to talk to sometimes. Helps me feel more comfortable being myself.

Ziusudra

Originally posted by lfreed
feel for you silencegold. it should be simple. you request SEE sign and the interpreter provides you with that. i don't know to many terps that are truely skilled in SEE sign. most either transliterate or interpret. here's my question? you said the one terp had been around the professor more so the interpreter could better grasp what was being said. i don't understand. SEE sign involves hearing the message and using a particular mode which really doens't invovle much or any conceptual accuracy. you simply listen and sign exact english. the interpreter should sgn everything because that is what SEE sign is all about. should have been an easy assignment for the terp. i love interpreting math especially when the teacher is highly visual. good luck and god bless.

This professor I was speaking of was a sociology professor. My interpreter was already majored in sociology. That is what I meant to say.

Regarding importancy of SEE, it was very important for me to catch all the vocabulary because of the 90% of the testings included vocabulary.

A SEE interpreter helped with that. In my opinion, if it was an ASL interpreter, I would be having to use reading materials to succeed. :p

Back