I'm done with closed captions.

Subtitles for me, too.

I used closed captions a lot since I was young. But closed captions should be on the top of the screen, so it would be much easier for me to find out who they are!

CC on top are trending appear on during sport game

I would prefer both than just one or the other on the DVD's.... some DVDs do NOT have CC and some do NOT have English subtitles.
I watch a lot of foreign films and thus become accustomed to the various styles of subtitles.
I also grew up with CC and remember the separate box on top of the TV in my parent's house, and remembered watching "captioned films" on 16mm whenever my dad gotten one in the mail from the library of congress... YEARS ago.
VHS was a crap shoot on captions... some had some didn't.
Cable shows were also a roll of the dice if you get a program that's CC or not.
Then came the disability rights laws and while it's been a long slow up hill progress now nearly ALL programs are CC. However there's been some back-sliding going on with some DVD's and cable/digital programs. Seems that some have gotten away with it ... especially independent film makers not thinking about or scrimping on the costs of subtitling/cc their movies.
These need to be reported I think.

Currently I watch my DVD's on my computer since the only TV in the house is monopolized by my parents. I used to have a program that decoded the CC but when I upgraded the computer the program was lost... grrr. Right now I use Media Player Classic to watch DVD's... all other programs are too "messy" to try and find a CC decoder button.

I don't mind CC. There are times I get subtitles, especially when a movie isn't captioned and my son can play it throught the PS2 with subtitles. At times that is hard to see. I generally get most of my DVD's in letter-box format and the captioneing is usually in the black "box" area at the bottom of the screen and doesn't interfere with the picutre.

Like Shel90, I don't like the time delay. It seems that 95% of the time, I miss the last 2-3 sentences before a commercial. The other thing that drives me batty is when the local news has their little new briefs and they are not captioned.

I always thought cc and subtitles was the same thing,
Just US/UK termanology.
I wolud say this is subtitles
Would you class this as cc?
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RoMLi2aRhQ]YouTube - 11 Enrique Iglesias Hero[/ame]

look like closed captioning. Some closed captioning do show sounds. At least in some shows.

I achually prefer Subtitles.... I grew up with CC but CC always messes up with spelling or delayed... so I'm fed up with that.... so I prefer subtitles because it's always correct spelling and always at the right time.

I dislike subtitles because lack sound effects and so on like Souggy said. I remember watching a movie which is supposedly scary, something to do with strange phone calls. (Sorry cannot remember the name of the movie.) It ruins the suspense when it didn't say the phone is ringing or not. Had to rely on person's reaction to know that it is ringing.

I like closed-captioning because they use captioning with black background. Though I agreed that sometimes the captioning didn't work too well, such as getting behind or appeared to be in gurgle wording. Not all technology are perfect.

"miss one call"

that movie u talk about ?

I use both subtitles and cc I don't really have a preference as long as it doesn't get behind

CC is so necessary, as it tells everything. Subtitles unless special SDH suck as they don't tell you needed information for enjoying the plot.

I like both subtitles for movies that fine, as for CC...been around for years. Sometimes I have noticed CC do get cut off on and off or mess up from the news from time to time. It a pain in the butt waiting for it to come on. subtitles and CC seems both the same to me.

cc vs subtitle

hoh.......Iv been using cc for about 10 years, i dont find it distracting and dont miss any action you get used to it. My wife and son somtimes dont like it but if i dont use it the tv has to be cranked way up, that more annoying. one kool thing is i love music and with cc you can get the lyrics which i have problems with somtimes when i listen to songs.

Closed captions is originally for the hearing impaired.

I prefer closed captions, because closed captions will describe sounds for deaf viewers.

For an example, if someone is shooting a gun, the closed caption would printed "sound of gunshot" English subtitles don't describe sounds.

I hate it so much when movies on DVD don't appears to have closed caption and they are ignoring those who are hearing impaired.

I like CC. Not so familiar with subtitles but only see it occcasionally like foreign speakers.
I just thought a good idea would be having a seperate space on tv....like immediately below the picture....which displays the CC. Of course producers want to utilize the entire space for picture but a different model with a CC out of picture would be good.
Or maybe something you connect to tv and place nearby (under) where you want it.
My experience with the technology...some better than others but also seems to be location or connection. Was viewing someones very expensive large plasma tv and it worked fairly well..(except that you had to click cc again everytime you changed channel...what's up with that ?...lol)....but then the people moved to a different state and the cc worked very badly on the same tv....both locations cable connection...different cable company.
Middle of screen is pretty silly idea.......and watching news programs like cnn.....with the wording at bottom covered over by cc is annoying.
Also cc covers up some nice ladies I'm trying to view......by the time I .....hurry to menu etc etc ....cc off....too late....aaaggghhhhhhh....she's gone with the wind.....

They probably would solve the problems of Closed Captions covering over anything at the bottom by making everything wide screened.

The two black bars, top and below, of anything you watch is just there. Put them to use and voila!

Nothing in the way of scores, names, numbers and etc.

Closed captioning for me, since it covers most of everything from who is talking, to sound effects, to the type of music playing.

I still watch t.v with CC on if movies I will use subtitles but lately I don't watch a movie i'm too lazy cuz i'm always on computer or out work or whatever keep me busy but I don't really come around here so have a good evening to all of you ;)

Back