I'm done with closed captions.

Prime Boss

Reaction score
You have no idea how annoying when I'm trying to view people's names on the bottom of the screen! I has to use menu to quiet closed captions for a second to allow me to write the names down, so I could find out who they are.

Well..so far closed caption is EPIC FAIL. As of right now, I'm very happy with subtitles. It's really good and very easy for me to view people's names to find out who they are.

You agree or disagree?

disagree.. did you recently start using closed captions? i grew up with closed captioning (i remember the separate box for it back then!) so i'm pretty used to it. i prefer CC to subtitles because it's easily readable with the black background. i still can figure out people's names. :dunno:

I used closed captions a lot since I was young. But closed captions should be on the top of the screen, so it would be much easier for me to find out who they are!

Depending on who did the captioning... most of them up here show who is talking. They also include sound effects and lyrics of music.

Siubtitles don't display who is leading the conversation and they don't tell you if there is music, what kind of music, the lyrics or any of the sound effects as doors closing or guns going off; SDH uses subtitling technology, but act like closed captioning.

Sorry... but CC/SDH thumps subtitles.

I used closed captions a lot since I was young. But closed captions should be on the top of the screen, so it would be much easier for me to find out who they are!

That depends on the model of TV you get them. I prefer the models that display them at the bottom of the screen, then I don't have to strain my neck looking upward.

Got nothing to do with closed captioning technology, but rather the manufactore of TVs. I avoided Parasonic for a long time because they would display the CC in middle of the screen, and JVC because of the top of the screen dealio.

Just ask your representative dealer if you can preview the closed captioning at a retail store so youc an make your own decisions. Be sure to observe at least three to five channels before buying... since some models are completely random to where the CC is located.

Most, if not all, subtitles tend to be located at the bottom too... so I don't understand your argument?

I thought they usually put closed captioning on top during roll call (if that's what you are talking about). It used to annoy me though because i'm used to reading it on the bottom.

Depending on who did the captioning... most of them up here show who is talking. They also include sound effects and lyrics of music.

Siubtitles don't display who is leading the conversation and they don't tell you if there is music, what kind of music, the lyrics or any of the sound effects as doors closing or guns going off; SDH uses subtitling technology, but act like closed captioning.

Thanks for the explanation

Agreed. 2 thumbs up.

CC, totally. If the captioning was done by a smart company, they will move the captions or briefly turn them off during the moments when a name is shown at the bottom of the screen. Doesn't happen a lot, but it is done.

I only use subtitles if they say "for the deaf and hoh" because then they also capture the sound effects as well as the dialog. But they still use the stupid yellow lettering. Of course, if that's all that exists, that's okay too.

I agree. But Almost Blu-Ray players don't support CC.

Sometimes I hate having CC on for just this reason...it's distracting. You're watching the dialog at the bottom of the screen and miss the action above it. What's happening in the scene is part of what's going on too. Focusing on what is being said OR what is happening can sometimes be frustrating.

Sometimes I hate having CC on for just this reason...it's distracting. You're watching the dialog at the bottom of the screen and miss the action above it. What's happening in the scene is part of what's going on too. Focusing on what is being said OR what is happening can sometimes be frustrating.

That's why there's on/off feature. If it distracting, then just disable it.

I prefer CC..never had a problem with it except when it is delayed in some shows.

That's why there's on/off feature. If it distracting, then just disable it.
Oh sure...then I miss what is being said. Not an effective solution for me. I usually just record it and if it is something I want to get all of, I can rewatch that part.

I dislike subtitles because lack sound effects and so on like Souggy said. I remember watching a movie which is supposedly scary, something to do with strange phone calls. (Sorry cannot remember the name of the movie.) It ruins the suspense when it didn't say the phone is ringing or not. Had to rely on person's reaction to know that it is ringing.

I like closed-captioning because they use captioning with black background. Though I agreed that sometimes the captioning didn't work too well, such as getting behind or appeared to be in gurgle wording. Not all technology are perfect.

Oh sure...then I miss what is being said. Not an effective solution for me. I usually just record it and if it is something I want to get all of, I can rewatch that part.

For CC, there is. Turn off CC. When the sences you don't want to miss and want to know what they are saying, turn on CC mute, then unmute again to make it disappear. Very useful in some cases. Notice: Not sure if all TV/HDTV have that feature.

I hate it when I have CC on and the news will use their own CC to report a story! I can't read either CC as they're on top of one another! I do not like the CC when they right across a person forehead! I know it hard to see the person name when the CC are at the both of the picture ,when I watch "Meet the Press" I like to know who is speaking and the CC right on top of the guess names!

Back