I have SO many questions...

Yes and it is how I read, and you have to admit I am obviously good at it. :wave: So it works!

I think this is how my mom was taught (and she's hearing) but of course from a differnent school of teaching... I came along into reading at the time when phonics was new and 'the way'... and that's what confused me so much-- you know?

I'm not saying one way or another is better-- infact I think my brother w/CAPD would have done better being taught by sight because he doesn't process the sounds properly... for example he had to call me from work last night to ask me how to spell elevator b/c he couldn't sound it out for a work order he had to put in... but until I started thinking about how would Adam learn w/out hearing... I never considered any way other than how I was taught-- ya know...

So that's why I had to ask... and now it's making some more sense to me... I dont totally get it yet but I'm getting there!! THank you for the information and for helping me see outside my box :) :) :)

Last edited:
Nope, u dont need sound to read..if that was the case, then we wouldnt have hearing people who are illiterate. Reading is a complex process and involves different strategies to use. My concern for your child is ensuring that he is establishing a strong first language so he can be ready to read by the time he is 5 years old and ASL is the only language fully accessible to deaf/hoh children. I would also encourage incorporating some spoken English to see if he does understand some of it but not as the only source of language for his language development.

Then, once he has established a strong language foundation base which is usually by the age of 3 and half to 4, you can start fingerspelling and pointing the alphabet so he can make the connection between the signs and the letters, then once he has established that, then start the sandwich method which is fingerspelling the words, signing the words, showing the word in printed form, and then back to fingerspelling the words. That helps with developing his English vocabulary.

Then, start h reading books that have simple and repeative sentences to him and important, show him the words and the fingerspelled words constantly.

All of that is strongly empasized for deaf children in their pre-school and kindergarten ages. That way they will be ready to do some reading and writing by the time they enter first grade.

Unfortunately, in my experience, we get the children from the public schools especially oral programs who werent able to establish a strong first language due to spoken English not being fully accessible to them and end up with no language when entering shool impeding their ability to develop literacy skills. That's why I strongly believe in the BiBi approach.

OK so is BiBi basically bilingual?? So he learns both signing and verbal??

He does hear some, but until he can really tell me what he hears I just keep talking... I talk to him all the time and use signs for the simple things I know (pretty much baby signs .) I'm trying at home to immerse him in both- since the school (daycare) he's at currently is Oral intensive. Is that the right approach to start out with??

(I know he hears certain pitches- like certain songs or music on TV... but speech is questionalbe)

He does hear some, but until he can really tell me what he hears I just keep talking... I talk to him all the time and use signs for the simple things I know (pretty much baby signs .) I'm trying at home to immerse him in both- since the school (daycare) he's at currently is Oral intensive. Is that the right approach to start out with??

(I know he hears certain pitches- like certain songs or music on TV... but speech is questionalbe)

Ooooh.. the million dollar question..... there's been many debates about this....(what you asked above in bold).

A lot of people would argue for ASL first to build a strong first language.

Some people would say that it depends on the child's abilities (holistic approach).

Some people would recommend oral intensive approach (usually audiologists or doctors).

There are just too many ways to raise a child (deaf or not), and you're gonna have to look at your own child, your environment, and the statistics, and make a choice.

If speech is questionable then he is not getting full access to language. That's the key coponent. Access to language.

Reading is not about sounds and putting sounds together. Reading is deciphering symbols.

Letters and words are patterns of symbols and you decipher them just as you do signs.

Notice, please I and many other deaf people are here reading your posts and writing back to you.

Therefore we did learn to read and write and sound had not much to do with it. :)

Yep, Bott's correct on that one. That is how I learned out to read. Phonics were never my strong suit.

In my experience, I started out in oral intervention program but didn't really start talking until mum put me in a signing class then my speech took off big time.

She used to read to me showing me pictures even though, she couldn't sign and read at the same time. You're doing the right thing by showing him stories and such.

I believe it's better to incorporate sign language, speech and whatever else works for Adam.

Does he respond to signs?

Am hearing. Schools tried to teach me phonics and to sound out words. It confused me because in English there is very little correspondence between spelling and the sound of the word.

My mother taught me to sight read, which the teachers were against. She said sounding the words gets in the way of reading and slows you down. I have never discovered anything in my experience to prove her wrong.

I find it ironic that I learned how to read using phonics despite being born with a bilateral severe profound deafness. How I learned to read was very very structured but once I got it, I took off on my own. My best friend who is deaf never really got it so she never became an avid reader. My deaf brother learned how to read from the BiBi approach.

I'm a great believer in personality. I have studied a great many martial arts and people ask, "Which is the best one" and often people don't like it when I tell them "There is no best one." The one that suits your personality best is the best one for you.

My personality is better suited to sight reading, someone else is better suited to phonics.

This is why I believe when teaching someone all possible methods of learning should be open to them. Sort of like offering them a salad of techniques and let them choose the ones that suit them the best.

Remember I am hearing, not Deaf.

My mother told me there is a problem with learning words:

You look at a tree the first time and you see the tree. You see the leaves, the branches, the bark, the colors. Then someone tells you, "That tree is a pine tree" and you never see that tree again the rest of your life because every time you look at a pine tree your mind will say "Pine tree" and you will go on to something else before you actually see it.

In order to be able to see anything again the rest of your life you must first learn to throw out the words. They just get in the way.

Remember I am hearing, not Deaf.

My mother told me there is a problem with learning words:

You look at a tree the first time and you see the tree. You see the leaves, the branches, the bark, the colors. Then someone tells you, "That tree is a pine tree" and you never see that tree again the rest of your life because every time you look at a pine tree your mind will say "Pine tree" and you will go on to something else before you actually see it.

In order to be able to see anything again the rest of your life you must first learn to throw out the words. They just get in the way.

That I do have to agree with!!

Due to the fact that children defiantly see the world, differently than we do.
When the brain actually see it, but do not recognize a word for it. They just visualize it.

I totally disagree with today's phonic system that is used in schools as it is totally confusing for children and the sounds they use for the letters are totally different and today's children are finding it harder and harder to read and spell. this phonic system needs to change.

In my experience, I started out in oral intervention program but didn't really start talking until mum put me in a signing class then my speech took off big time.

She used to read to me showing me pictures even though, she couldn't sign and read at the same time. You're doing the right thing by showing him stories and such.

I believe it's better to incorporate sign language, speech and whatever else works for Adam.

Does he respond to signs?

If my responding to me signing... you mean raising his eyebrow and looking at me like I'm crazy, then yeah he responds LOL... he doesn't respond to signing as in 'yep that's what I want' but then he doesn't respond to verbal either...

Am hearing. Schools tried to teach me phonics and to sound out words. It confused me because in English there is very little correspondence between spelling and the sound of the word.

My mother taught me to sight read, which the teachers were against. She said sounding the words gets in the way of reading and slows you down. I have never discovered anything in my experience to prove her wrong.

I think if we had known my brother had problems early on he would've been better off learning to sight read... since his problem is processing...

I'm a great believer in personality. I have studied a great many martial arts and people ask, "Which is the best one" and often people don't like it when I tell them "There is no best one." The one that suits your personality best is the best one for you.

My personality is better suited to sight reading, someone else is better suited to phonics.

This is why I believe when teaching someone all possible methods of learning should be open to them. Sort of like offering them a salad of techniques and let them choose the ones that suit them the best.

I like your analogy-- to offer him all the options and let him choose what works for him...

I'm not sure if you all know how much I appreciate ALL these different opinions and views... I have been 'forced' (gently) to look at all the options and I needed that :D especially since I have NEVER had to think about these things before :)

I'm still signing to him, and talking-- I'm sure even if he doesn't hear exactly what I'm saying to him-- that he wishes I'd be quiet LOL I'm talking constantly to him... and signing more as I'm learning more... I know he's not even a year old (27 more days!!) but I want to be prepared with as much as I can be when it comes time for that. I learned from what we went thru w/my brother (he's 14 yrs younger than me) that you can't wait for a teacher or doctor to tell you what needs to be done-- so I'm trying to stay on top of all this!!!

THANK YOU Again for all the help!!! We BOTH appreciate it!!! (Adam just doesn't know it yet!)

I am a certified deaf education teacher and I am deaf myself. I will get back to your questions later because I had a busy day at work and I am too tired to think. Glad u are asking these questions now. :) Wish more parents were like u.

Thanks!

First, let me congratulate you on your son. You have embarked on an amazing journey as a parent, and especially since he's deaf. A new world is open to you and him. It won't be easy, but it will be rewarding.

Like Shel90, I'm a certified teacher of deaf and hard of hearing children...I've taught every grade level, from preschool to 12th grade. I'm currently an English/Language Arts teacher at a residental school for the deaf.
As a parent myself and as an educator, my heart goes out to you. You are having to face some critical decisions which must be made...and the complications of this process is compounded by the fact that none of the "experts" agree on what's best for a child with hearing loss. And they disagree on everything, from how your child should communicate, which language he should use, and even what's the best way to teach reading.

And what should you do? One group is saying one thing and the other is saying another.

I asked my mother a few years ago about all of this and she said something that really answered it for me.

A mother should go with her gut...and do what she thinks is the best...and be consistent. Be flexible. Be open-minded and listen to what people are saying, but with care and caution.

He is deaf, which means he cannot acquire language through natural means of hearing the words around him. Therefore, he needs to be shown. The question that no one is able to answer is...can language be taught...or must it be naturally acquired? Since we don't know the answer, I say do both...allow natural acquistion of language and teach it whenever possible.

Check out the Laurent Clerc Education website for excellent resources.

He needs to be exposed to literature (picture books) as much as possible. Point at pictures, say and sign/gesture about the pictures and encourage him to do so...and while you're doing this, maintain eye contact a lot during "reading" to keep him looking at you for information, and make real world connection to the text. For example, bring a book about animals to the zoo...and point out the picture of an animal and then to the actual animal so he can make that connection. There are books about food..take those to the grocery store. They also have realistic pictures which are stickers...put those stickers on cardstock paper and have him match it to something in the environment. Maybe a couch with a couch. You also can make pictures with your digital camera of things around the house. Don't forget to make books about family members and label them.

Back