Hi, Just discoverd I'm going deaf.

CHuglas

Reaction score
Hi -

Otoschlorosis. The five sylables that strike fear into the hearts of all audiophiles. I make my income building sound effects and writing music for the theatre. I went to music school. I study four different instruments. I compose. I have a sound effects library on par with a film studio. I used to tune broadway theatre sound systems. Oh woe is me... :giggle:

ANYWAY. I get a diagnosis that my middle ear boans are fusing; will continue to fuse; and will likely cause me to go deaf in the next few years.

They have repairs for this problem, but I'm not sure there is a point as they don't tend to repair things well enough to continue with my career.

So now I drive a taxi and play saxophone. (I can hear it thru bone conduction as my middle ear still works perfectly.) I can feel the cat purr and I can hug my baby girl. I will be able to hear loud sounds for a while longer too. So I guess I got off light.

I hope it's okay that I post here as I am not truely deaf yet... just on the way there. I could use some advice from anyone who has this problem. How did it progress? What was the time frame? (How much time do I have doc?) :shock:

Well, that sucks about your first career choice. :welcome:

Welcome to AllDeaf! :)

There are a lot of broad topics that has been discussed on this forum and if you would like, you can start looking in the Hearing Aid and Cochlear Implant section to get a glimpse.

Again, Welcome Aboard!

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. You are going to be call Late Deafend if you happen to lose your hearing loss. I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around. :wave:

Hullo! I'm going deaf too (though I found out about it a couple years ago). I don't even know why yet. Maybe I'll find out next time I go to the doctor. There is always that hope. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I know what it's like. I'm finding out though that life is just as good as it ever was, once I got over feeling bad about it. You sound like you are doing pretty good and I'm so glad you are!

Hey don't give up on surgery, i'v alway been deaf in left ear and partial deaf in right.My right ear started getting worse untill i was deaf but after repairing my middle ear bones
i got half my hearing back in my right ear. Hey some is better than none. I'm learning asl
and participating in the deaf community, close one door open another. good luck

Welcome from another LDA (late deafened adult) See ya about!

Back