hearing depend on someone else for deaf's interpreter!

BartSimpsx24x

Reaction score
I felt something not right! I want to share.. Tell me what you think. Few weeks ago I went to t-mobile to buy G1 T-Mobile Plug Car Charger at T-Mobile. I was standing and asking Customer Support rep for a paper and a pen to write and I notice person tried to speak to me. I sign "point to ear with both arm" then that customer support speak to one of my friend who are hard and hearing and my friend told me that customer Support ask for phone number. It happen to me sometime. Why can't people learn communcation with deaf it not that hard.

I felt something not right! I want to share.. Tell me what you think. Few weeks ago I went to t-mobile to buy G1 T-Mobile Plug Car Charger at T-Mobile. I was standing and asking Customer Support rep for a paper and a pen to write and I notice person tried to speak to me. I sign "point to ear with both arm" then that customer support speak to one of my friend who are hard and hearing and my friend told me that customer Support ask for phone number. It happen to me sometime. Why can't people learn communcation with deaf it not that hard.

Well, I agree it's fustrating. But think about this...if you aren't raised in an area where there are a signifigant number of hoh or deaf people...why would you need to learn sign? I mean, you probably wouldn't even think about it. I am hoh, but before I started going deaf, I knew maybe two people who were deaf, and I didn't know them well. You see what I mean? I'm only just now learning sign because I didn't realize how important it was until now. I think people who work in costumer service should be more sensetive by far, but I do think it's hard to expect every one to learn a language when they don't know anyone to use it for...you see what I mean? You are right about shop people needing to be more patient and kinder, though, that's for sure. And it sure would be nice if they knew sign!

Well, I agree it's fustrating. But think about this...if you aren't raised in an area where there are a signifigant number of hoh or deaf people...why would you need to learn sign? I mean, you probably wouldn't even think about it. I am hoh, but before I started going deaf, I knew maybe two people who were deaf, and I didn't know them well. You see what I mean? I'm only just now learning sign because I didn't realize how important it was until now. I think people who work in costumer service should be more sensetive by far, but I do think it's hard to expect every one to learn a language when they don't know anyone to use it for...you see what I mean? You are right about shop people needing to be more patient and kinder, though, that's for sure. And it sure would be nice if they knew sign!

Actually he said it was rude they would not communicate in writing with pen and paper and talked to his friend instead.

Actually he said it was rude they would not communicate in writing with pen and paper and talked to his friend instead.

I was going to say that now that you have taken the words out of my signs. :giggle: That's true why in the world would a customer rep have the nerve to ask his friend to interpret by looking the other way. The rep should show respect him by writing down the paper what he wanted to ask him the question. Paper and pen are the only way to communicate if not being able to lipread him at all or try to lipread him but fail. It is very rude of the rep thinking that the Op have a disability of not understanding the rep. Tsk. :nono:

I have had that happen to me as well. Some one would approach me to speak with me. Then I would say please repeat yourself I am HOH. They automatically turn there head to speak with my husband. It is frustrating.

I've had quite a few experiences myself. I, myself am HOH but I'm Deaf. I remember this one time, I went to a store and I got the CSR's attention for help. I had a hearing friend alongside with me. I started talking/asking questions then let him respond. He started talking so FAST, I had to interrupt him and I politely said "can you say that one more time, slower please?" The CSR turned to my hearing friend and started telling him what he was trying to tell me.

I moved in front of my friend looked at the CSR in the eye and loudly said "I am talking to you, and you are talking to me, not my friend so you need to be talking to me." He shut the hell up and started talking to me slower and more clearly.

Some times you've gotta put people in their place whether you like it or not. I have ZERO tolerance for people who simply don't TRY. If you don't try, then you will get nasty attitude from me.

My motto is "what comes around...goes around" If you have no patience for me and brush me off...something will happen to you in the future and you will understand what it's like to be "pushed aside" like some degenerate citizen. I have personally SEEN it happen to a few people. They tell me what happened - me? I just give them a "I'm not sorry" look.

To the op - it was rude to do that. Simply rude.

I have experienced this situation a number of times: I just tell the clerk or whomever that my friend has not asked me to assist and he/she is making inguiries of you so please accommodate him/her. Of course, this occurs when I have spoken for myself earlier while in the shop/restaurant, etc.

As a hearing person, I would say it is important for the deaf to educate the hearing by making them (however uncomfortable it might be for the hearing person!) speak to YOU and not someone else. I sign so its no problems for me of course, but I saw an interesting vlog once where someone said they never "talk" to hearing people--they sign. And they don't start out a sentence with saying they are deaf, they just begin signing and leave it up to the hearing person to find a way to communicate whether it be writing or whatever. It shouldn't be the deaf person' job to figure out how to communicate in a customer service situation, it should be the job of the CS rep to bridge the language gap however possible.

my be alittle off topic but I think this is the a good time to say what I do. I use to waitress, this deaf family would come in all the time. They wrote what they wanted and I paid attention to their drinks and such..I figured out a way. I also wrote on the back of their bill. It was nice serving you this evening hope you have a good day...

They would always request me to serve them next time and left a pretty good tip

my be alittle off topic but I think this is the a good time to say what I do. I use to waitress, this deaf family would come in all the time. They wrote what they wanted and I paid attention to their drinks and such..I figured out a way. I also wrote on the back of their bill. It was nice serving you this evening hope you have a good day...

They would always request me to serve them next time and left a pretty good tip

Yes, that is important. I always try to get one specific cashier at my grocery who is perfect.

She manages to communicate with no need for speech and be pleasant and friendly. It helps a lot.

Before I took my position I'm in now- I worked in the Universities ENT/Audiology office... as a front desk receptionist- and SEVERAL of our patients were not only deaf but many just could not speak... I always made a point to communicate with THEM-- not their spouse, or child, etc... either let them write their questions down or point to their doctors name, gesture what ever worked for THAT patient-- I also made it a point to make eye contact with them... just like if I were having a verbal converstation with them.

I know what it's like to watch two or more people sign and not know what's being said-- so I try to take that into consideration... although not the SAME I'm sure it's just as frustrating if not more so to be on the opposite end of that...

So much of 'customer service' has been lost it seems to me, for everyone... I agree w/the op, it was rude of the CSR and it should've been handled differently. Sorry you had that experience.

I get that sometimes but what's the point of the disability awareness courses not making enough impact on those starting out in retail/public services?!

I know I received such training when I started out at a retailing store. We have a list of certified signers to help out in such occasions. Customers do appreciate the extra effort that staff are taking this opportunity to learn sign language. They don't get paid extra for providing such service but their lessons are paid for by the business as the business sees it makes better sense to provide 100% customer service regardless of the issue. Wish all businesses are like that. I have since moved on from retailing to working in Head office where I'm appreciated a lot more.:dance2:

I have come across some obnoxious people who would talk to my OH than me and I'd put them in place quite sternly and get the service I require.

It happened to one poor guy - he got the wrong side of me as it was that time of month where I was a little extra sensitive and really put him in his place that whenever I go back there - he would hide! :roll:, I've spoken to him since then apologising for my actions and he got a good disability awareness lesson from me then and he's been always happy to serve me since then.

That's basically my problem. My hearing loss has been progressive, first detected in the 3rd grade, to the point that now at the age of 56 my loss in both ears is profound. I grew up in the hearing world, my speech is perfect, I wear aids but at this point I struggle with comprehension as my hearing further deteriorates. The only deaf people I know are at work and they mostly stick to themselves. I don't know ASL and don't know anyone else that knows it. To say at times I feel isolated is to put it mildly. And a lot of people in the hearing world are not always very understanding of the HOH. Like when you explain to someone who speaks softly that you need them to speak up because you are HOH and point out your hearing aids to them and they then continue to speak softly. I would be justified to strangle them in that situation, wouldn't I?

I get that on placement when I go into schools or nurseries, they tend to talk to my 'terp rather than me, my 'terp tells them that they should ask me and not her because all she is there for is to 'terp what the kids are saying to me.

I've had quite a few experiences myself. I, myself am HOH but I'm Deaf. I remember this one time, I went to a store and I got the CSR's attention for help. I had a hearing friend alongside with me. I started talking/asking questions then let him respond. He started talking so FAST, I had to interrupt him and I politely said "can you say that one more time, slower please?" The CSR turned to my hearing friend and started telling him what he was trying to tell me.

I moved in front of my friend looked at the CSR in the eye and loudly said "I am talking to you, and you are talking to me, not my friend so you need to be talking to me." He shut the hell up and started talking to me slower and more clearly.

Some times you've gotta put people in their place whether you like it or not. I have ZERO tolerance for people who simply don't TRY. If you don't try, then you will get nasty attitude from me.

My motto is "what comes around...goes around" If you have no patience for me and brush me off...something will happen to you in the future and you will understand what it's like to be "pushed aside" like some degenerate citizen. I have personally SEEN it happen to a few people. They tell me what happened - me? I just give them a "I'm not sorry" look.

To the op - it was rude to do that. Simply rude.

I love your stance! I get the same with hearing people who dont try. I give them a hard time and I dont give a f*** what others think of me when I do that.

I think it's one of those cases where people "think" they are helping the deaf by using someone else to facilitate communication. They probably assume "Oh they use interpreters, so I can just talk to the person they are with." People have NO idea what to do when given a situation they have never encountered before. For example, once I sat next to a man who had no fingers (just stubs) in an airplane. We talked for a bit, and the attendent came to give us drinks. I noticed that the man was having a very difficult time opening his coke can. I had NO idea whether to offer help or keep my mouth shut. I opted for the latter, and after a long period of awkwardness, he eventually got it open himself. I still have NO idea if I did the right thing.

I'm sure it gets frustrating after it happens a lot, but I think we should try to be informative instead of quietly reacting negatively.

Back