got into nursing:)

My neighbourhood was ranked as one of the top 10 wealthiest ones in Canada, according to Yahoo. I actually do live on a cul-de-sac, it's the only house. We prefer Japanese cars. We aren't too materialistic, so we do not try to live all flashy. We prefer to save and invest.

Yes, it's a cutthroat business, but we are at the top of ours. We obviously don't expect things to last forever, so we save and invest. Yes, bad moments can happen, but most of those problems can be dealt with by insurance or warranties. Ottawa is pretty resistant to Economic problems, our sales haven't really dropped at all. Subway has not been a bad investment for the over 15 years that we've owned them. Bad investments can happen, but that's why you don't put all your eggs in one basket. And we definitely do not live beyond our means, we don't even go near it.

true that! just like my friends. They do earn $$$$$$$ from their restaurants but I don't view them as "wealthy" (based on definition I stated above) because they're just regular folks like us with good job and salary. They're just smart and careful with money. I have heard some "EPIC FAIL!" stories here because bunch of them thought it's a get-rich-quick scheme and.... nope! They folded and sold it - mostly clubs and bars.

btw - sorry for hijacking your thread, AliciaM!

Best of luck on your new journey!

SO YAY I got into nursing:) now I'm saving for books and stuff like that..which is gonna be expensiveeee which sucks..its bout 2 grand for 1st semester books..another thing is a stethoscope..any suggestions on what one I can use because I can't obvs hear from the normal ones..i tried just for fun..told my partner for the lab she was dead cuz she had no heartbeat..any suggestions for anything deaf related and related to my nursing program would be much appreciated!

Way to go with getting into nursing program. I can answer any question you might come across any time. As far as stethescope, I use E-scope II which can connect directly to the FM boots. If you don't already have that Shoe on your Naida you will need to purchace that and audi will easily replace it on for you because as you probably know the FM also has the battery compartent on the Naida, so the audi will have to change that over for you, which unfortunately costs more- don't know the canada rules for cost though. This E-scope II has wonderful features that can connect to HA's and give biaural sounds of all body sounds. I am able to be quite successful with this stethescope. I believe the ampification goes up to 120 spl. I think my hearing loss is very similar to yours- give or take 5 db. Plan ahead for this becaue this stethescope will run you about $600. VR may help cover the cost if you are willing to go through those channels and have time to wait.

Darn it...I did have an exact link and picture. In fact someone else asked me nearly the exact question somewhere on AD and I did show picture and link for the stethescope. When I can I will do so in your thread here, because Im not sure how to go all the way back to find that post because I don't even know what thread it was in. Perhaps one of our computer wizzes can assist me on that one.

Anyhow congratulations on the Nursing. Since I have no family wife, children- nursing is my life and I spend most waking hours thinking about it. I love to answer any question for anybody- especially those who are deaf and curious about amy medical science field. PM me any time Alicia and we'll chat more about it. :)

Aha ok..so I don't have receivers for my naidas but ill need to get them..I use just my I com right now but I can get the receivers and stethoscope covered by school disability bursary:)

Congratulations Alicia! Good to know others here are getting involved in the medical field. I graduated from Medical Assistant school last Friday :)

How interesting that No one on this thread seems to ever mention me...I am deaf, an RN and used to work in the OR but recently was told by my employer of 5 years that he was going to let me go because my hearing is getting worse...blah blah blah...co-workers have noticed I don't hear well (oh really???)...Yes I am an RN so if you ever want to chat about nursing school, other's, whatever...I am always available. Congrats on getting into nursing school...If you need books, I may have some If you need them...

yo are wonderful become happy enjoy hard work successfully you are goal become nurse!!! wonderful Congulation Alicia

How interesting that No one on this thread seems to ever mention me...I am deaf, an RN and used to work in the OR but recently was told by my employer of 5 years that he was going to let me go because my hearing is getting worse...blah blah blah...co-workers have noticed I don't hear well (oh really???)...Yes I am an RN so if you ever want to chat about nursing school, other's, whatever...I am always available. Congrats on getting into nursing school...If you need books, I may have some If you need them...

come over to ICU try that out?

you have 73 posts... You need to post more often :)

Last edited:
Hi Zebras!
I have been a nurse for 4 years ( after 20 year career as a paramedic). I have 70% loss in the right ear and 40% in the left. I wear bilateral bte's and have found little tricks. First Go to the skin!!! do not try to listen through gowns or clothing its self defeating. second whenever possible close the curtain/door/ask if the family can step out for a second under the reason of privacy but it also helps reduce ambient noise. Regarding the scope i am going to try a littman3200 to see if the bluetooth feature will pair with my oticon streamer will post when I find out! currently use a littman master which is nice but i need more amplification. Best of luck in the Profession. The motto of nursing school is NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Last edited:
Hi Zebras!
I have been a nurse for 4 years ( after 20 year career as a paramedic). I have 70% loss in the right ear and 40% in the left. I wear bilateral bte's and have found little tricks. First Go to the skin!!! do not try to listen through gowns or clothing its self defeating. second whenever possible close the curtain/door/ask if the family can step out for a second under the reason of privacy but it also helps reduce ambient noise. Regarding the scope i am going to try a littman3200 to see if the bluetooth feature will pair with my oticon streamer will post when I find out! currently use a littman master which is nice but i need more amplification. Best of luck in the Profession. The motto of nursing school is NEVER GIVE UP!!!

DON'T invest in the littman 3200 that's the first scope I bought and I spent the money on it and had to return it The bluetooth feature is ONLY for use to pair with a computer or iPad. It will not work with a streamer. I talked to the company directly and they said they made it to only work with specific bluetooth devices and that hearing aids or any hearing aid devices was not one of them.
I used the e-scope II for awhile but ended up dropping nursing since it was SUCH a struggle to hear even bp's and half the time I couldn't even do those and I didn't have any support from the head of the program and some teachers so I left the program and am sticking with the bank.

But seriously don't waste your time on the littman 3200 ..that stethoscope had me in tears that's how frutrated I was with it. My audi and I, and phonak for that matter, figured we could bluetooth it to my iCom or fm system..and it was a no go ..so we contacted the company and they said nope it won't work like that. ...awesome piece of technology...not

Back