do you think downs sydromes should be in Deaf school deaf unit?

Grummer

Reaction score
i dont think so because its being back 'deaf and dumb' , as we're not 'special needs' we have BRAINS only difference is what language we use

Right??

or tell me wrong if you think so,

but i doubt it

why im askking this?

because its in vogue to lump deaf and disabled together in classroom, im pretty sure its affect education,
SO WHY the HELLS are they doing it? (ok granted they say its' 'funding' but i dont buy it, i still thinks it a complex bullshit on such a siimple common sence things to have it separate.

fire away

and dont hold it against me if a fight or two flare up in here (wont be me) id just watch and read...

Well, "dumb" in relation to deaf people only has the connotation of "mute." It has nothing to do with intelligence.

As for Down syndrome students in a deaf classroom, if the have normal or close to normal intelligence , and are deaf also, of course they should be admitted.

A certain percentage of people with Down syndrome do have normal intelligence.

But just to stick a person in a deaf unit when they are not deaf but have another disability, makes no sense.

in the past dumb was also meaning jsut that DUMB, not just mute...you need to read deaf history abit more ...moreso,...and high percentage of downs are mentally slow (very slow) too, they do not think as good,

there is a women who lied about her own daughter as being fluent in sign, (at age of 6 , 6 years later) at 12, it was clear she doesnt even know sign, just copys it (even at the demonstrations too) she doesnt know any finger spells, cant recall.

she shoved that 13 year girl who was mute and now signs wee bit...mostly point...in the the Deaf unit...what is the hell going on you may ask...

37951628.jpg

If you throw Deaf person with DS in the classroom with normal Deaf students. Teacher will have to make changes for that student but nothing change for others.

I do feel somewhat like Botti does...if the child IS deaf and does have Downs Syndrome also, he/she should be admitted....

I've never interacted with a child/adult who had Down's Syndrome, tho'....I've seen several.

As for "Deaf & Dumb"....the notion still somewhat prevails today that if you're Deaf, then you're also Dumb.....Many people don't even know what "Mute" means.

I also do recall years ago...on my job...got a phone call...and my Boss told that person he could not talk to me because I was a "Deaf Mute"....and hung up the phone.......when I found out about it....I was very angry and told my Boss off...he was totally red-faced!....and said..."Well, I didn't know you could hear on the phone!"...I told him that was right, I couldn't...but I was not Mute...as I was talking to him verbally.....since I was late-deafened......all he needed to say was that "she is Deaf, can I take a message?"......

I know some DS kids who are also deaf/hoh, they should be able to go to a deaf school/program/classroom if possible.

you guys have to be joking right??

what about the consequences, like making new generation of CI/deaf more dumb because they had it all slowed down to 'easy pace'?

In here, deaf child with DS will sent to HKS (Helen Keller School) until they determine if it is ready to send to ASD (Alabama School for the Deaf) or part time between 2 schools.

A child ... or adult with Down Syndrome ... or with Autism ... or with a learning disability ... are people too ... they have thoughts, feelings, wants and needs just like the rest of us ... may not be able to express it the same but they all are still people ... in comparison ... deaf/HoH people have been shunned or discriminated against for years and just because they couldnt hear were thought ti be "deaf and dumb" .... whats the difference ... deaf/HoH need accomodations in school and such just as DS children do ... it boils down to whats best for the child and will help them the most ...

but it should be up to the hearing adminstrators to put us in the same catergory, we're not stupid, we're not slow...so why?
thats my point

I don't think Grummer is attacking people with Down. He just wants deaf students to learn at the speed they are supposed to learn.

In my special classes there was no segregation and the classes were very good.

The fact is: Most schools do not have the resources to divide students based on need.

And, given the small number of students with disabilities it would be prohibitive. If you have two students, one deaf and one with Down, it is impractical to hire separate teachers or rearrange classes for each.

The school has to work in a cost effective way as well.

what about the consequences, like making new generation of CI/deaf more dumb because they had it all slowed down to 'easy pace'?

It is the teacher's job to provide an universal design of learning (UDL) class if that happens.

I have been proving differentiated instruction for years to meet the variety of academic level of my students. Been going well so far...very hard to do but it can be done.

http://aim.cast.org/learn/historyarchive/backgroundpapers/differentiated_instruction_udl

Last edited:
I don't think Grummer is attacking people with Down. He just wants deaf students to learn at the speed they are supposed to learn.

In my special classes there was no segregation and the classes were very good.

The fact is: Most schools do not have the resources to divide students based on need.

And, given the small number of students with disabilities it would be prohibitive. If you have two students, one deaf and one with Down, it is impractical to hire separate teachers or rearrange classes for each.

The school has to work in a cost effective way as well.

Actually, it is against the law to take into consideration the cost when determining individual needs of students. It's not about what is cost effective- it is about what's appropriate for any individual.

If the child is deaf as well, they have as much a right to access communication and language as the next deaf student- even if they have Down syndrome.

It is the same as a hearing child with Down syndrome being mainstreamed part of the day in a hearing mainstream class.

The "next generation" would not be any worse for wear, and if anything they're better because they've had exposure and interactions with others with different needs as well.

They would still be taught appropriate curriculum, and should still make progress accordingly.

i dont think so because its being back 'deaf and dumb' , as we're not 'special needs' we have BRAINS only difference is what language we use

Right??

but i doubt it

why im askking this?

because its in vogue to lump deaf and disabled together in classroom, im pretty sure its affect education,
SO WHY the HELLS are they doing it? (ok granted they say its' 'funding' but i dont buy it, i still thinks it a complex bullshit on such a siimple common sence things to have it separate.

fire away

and dont hold it against me if a fight or two flare up in here (wont be me) id just watch and read...

Why would a deaf child with down syndrome be any less entitled to access to communication and language?

This thread reminds me of an old one:

http://www.alldeaf.com/deaf-education/100758-update-school-deaf-denies-deaf-child-placement.html

Right??

but i doubt it

why im askking this?

fire away

If the child is deaf, they have every right to share the class with you, yes. Being deaf makes you special needs whether you like the label or not and I think it's unfair to the mentally retarded to not want to be seen with them because you're afraid of being lumped as one of them. As someone already pointed out, the deaf and dumb label refers to deaf and not speaking, nothing to do with intelligence.

It's unlikely a retarded child would be in all classes with students in Special Education because their unique special needs requires very different attention and guidance.

Laura

Your comments really warm my heart. My mother had Rubella so I could have easily been born mentally retarded myself. How lovely yet another person thinks that people who are perceived to be stupid, or look stupid, don't deserve to have a seat in a classroom because they're a waste of space and a drain on everyone's time. It's a shame you never worked for educator John Silber. He didn't think stupid people had a right to an education either....

Its ok if the Deaf Down Kids to being in a classroom with other down kids in the same room. While the Deaf kids are being in the classroom so they can catch up at a same speed time. Not mixed with them, then it would not be a good idea.

Its ok if the Deaf Down Kids to being in a classroom with other down kids in the same room. While the Deaf kids are being in the classroom so they can catch up at a same speed time. Not mixed with them, then it would not be a good idea.

I'm sorry, I'm not clear on what you wrote. Are you saying you don't believe deaf children with Down syndrome should be educated with deaf peers that don't have Down syndrome?

Back