Do you have an ethnic identity?

Well, I'm not a Northern Lady
Or a Southern Rose.....

Irish, I believe with a temper to boot.

On AD, I identify myself as hearing. Out in the world, I consider myself to be German-American.

What is gingers and I have seen that word in other threads. Gingers sound like a flavor like Gingerbread. :scratch:

Gingers are people with red hair. If you google ginger and you will find a pic of ginger plant. They have red flowers. Also there are other colors like pink.

Gingers are people with red hair. If you google ginger and you will find a pic of ginger plant. They have red flowers. Also there are other colors like pink.

Oh, then that is a new meaning for me when talking about red hair or red flowers. Thank you for clearing that up for me. I will have to watch out for the word that is not associate with food. :giggle: I always call the people with red hair or red head. I know there is another word for auburn which relate to red, too. :ty:

ok then label me as a wannabe Ginger too

LOL the silver streak is natural, the red color isn't! And I am not afraid to say so.

Ginger is really a British/UK term. Most people in the US say "red head." An orange tabby is a ginger cat. I've got one of those, too. :D

... I means geez, I shun technology, yet embrace technology that is useful to the Deaf....
Whew! I'm glad that you don't totally shun technology or else we would miss out on your posts at AD. :lol:

Whew! I'm glad that you don't totally shun technology or else we would miss out on your posts at AD. :lol:

Hahahaha. Your humour will not be missed. ;)

I am introverted enough to avoid text messaging though.

Last edited:
Ethnic Identity

I do and am very proud of it. I am Nordic, born in Norway. Came to the US as an infant I was born in the city of OSLO which is beautiful. My mom and grandmother Both Nordic came to the USA to be with my dad, who was the
5th son of Irish parents. I have all the characteristics of the legendary Nors.
I am very Tall, with Silver Blond hair (which I had a head full of when I was born) and like my mom and grandmother I have Blue/Gray eyes. I hold dual citizenship, since I was born in Norway but became a citizen of the US once my parents were married since my father was born in the US. Laughing, I don't have much from my Irish legacy. I do have 1 brother and He got all the Irish genes..laughing. We look very different. As a child i was told stories of the Nors and their bravery. My grandmother always told me whenever things seemed overwhelming to remember an old Nors saying,,,I have been put to the fire and survived, like steel it has made me stronger. :wave:

I self define my ethnicity as Canadian. I was born in Canada.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

I can definitely say I am an American. I'm also Irish, German, and a bit of Polish because of my family's ancestry.

But for smaller categories, I honestly am not sure where I fit in. Sometimes I say I'm a Pennsylvanian. Other times I feel more like a New Yorker even though technically I was not born there. The reason for this is that my family came from New York. My ancestors chose to live in New York when they migrated to the United States from other countries - to be more specific, they chose to live in Long Island. They just stayed there for generations. My father was born and raised on Long Island. My mother's from NJ, but I think she was born in NY as well. She did eventually move to LI during her college years though. Then I was conceived on Long Island as well, shortly after my parents married. The reason why I wasn't born there was because my parents decided to move to PA while my mom was pregnant with me. So basically I have a big part of NY in me, and I do fit some characteristics of a New Yorker. Yet I was born and raised in PA instead. That's why I get confused about which state I should identify with sometimes.

As for general regions, I do identify with being a 'Northerner.' Occasionally I'll call myself a Yankee as well.

If I say that my heritage is Arizonan because of family living there for 2 generations, would that make people atutomatically assume that I have Hispanic origins?

I'm an American although I am African American. A definite Jersey girl with alot of Southern (a combination of southern ancestry). I am partially identified as South American; but fully identify as Caribbean. I have Irish, British, Native American, and some other ancestries but I don't idenfy. Mainly because I don't know much about those cultures or have any connection other than certain (dead) family members.

Mountain Irish or "Scotch-Irish-Cherokee" on mamas side and Cajun/creole on dads side. I was born in Mississippi and raised in Appalachia. That makes me a 'Mercan. So, basically, I am a late deaf Southern American who can hunt, fish and cook. :)

Back