Do you have an ethnic identity?

Mountain Irish or "Scotch-Irish-Cherokee" on mamas side and Cajun/creole on dads side. I was born in Mississippi and raised in Appalachia. That makes me a 'Mercan. So, basically, I am a late deaf Southern American who can hunt, fish and cook. :)

That works. :D

I'm half Scot/Half Irish born in England (So I guess I really am BRITISH hahaha) and an Australian Citizen :D

Ginger is really a British/UK term. Most people in the US say "red head." An orange tabby is a ginger cat. I've got one of those, too. :D

And in Australia Red heads are referred to as "Blue"

Very common for a Red Headed bloke being nick named "Blue" or "Bluey"

WHY? I dunno I'm afraid!

And in Australia Red heads are referred to as "Blue"

Very common for a Red Headed bloke being nick named "Blue" or "Bluey"

WHY? I dunno I'm afraid!

Maybe it is because so many red heads also have blue eyes that just absolutely stand out. I'm told my eyes really stand out in certain lighting.

Maybe it is because so many red heads also have blue eyes that just absolutely stand out. I'm told my eyes really stand out in certain lighting.

Possibly!!!

However Aussies quite commonly call people nicknames that are, say the opposite, to what they are...

eg: a short person might be called Stretch or Big Jim (if his name was James say)
a bigger person might be called slim

How blue is the opposite of red - beats me!

Red Headed people in Australia are more commonly known as Rangas

Here's a news article that sparked some FURY!!!

Adelaide Zoo slammed over free entry for redheads
The Daily Telegraph September 29, 2008 1:20PM

ADELAIDE Zoo has dropped an ad campaign offering free visits to all "rangas" to highlight the plight of orang-utans after sensitive redheads complained.
Last week, advertisements ran offering "free Zoo entry for all rangas" during the school holidays.

"Ranga" - an abbreviation of orang-utan - is a common nickname for redheads.

"We seem to be getting quite a bit of a negative reaction to that request," said Zoos SA's director of conservation programs Kevin Evans, The Adelaide Advertiser reported.

"People are possibly more sensitive about it than we thought," he said.

"We have a campaign over the school holidays because of orang-utans being an endangered species – and so are human redheads," Mr Evans said.

Less than 2 per cent of humans have red hair.

"Because of the way people move around these days, the genes that carry redheads are breeding out to brunettes and blondes," Mr Evans said.

"Eventually it looks like they are going to be extinct as well."

The zoo will continue to offer free entry to people with red hair for the next two weeks to raise awareness about orang-utans being endangered in the wild.

The campaign is timed to coincide with the birthday of the Zoo's male orangutan, Pusung, and will include daily talks about the species.

Dyed red hair will qualify for free entry and zoo staff will not seek proof that patrons are natural redheads.

"We're not actually checking tops and tails, or anything like that," Mr Evans said.

Link: Adelaide Zoo slammed over free entry for redheads | The Daily Telegraph

Well if they had a Ranga day at the LR zoo, I'd gladly go! There's very few benefits to being a red head!

Well if they had a Ranga day at the LR zoo, I'd gladly go! There's very few benefits to being a red head!

Thats how I'd feel... I'd be like WHOOOOOOOOOOO Free entry yip yip!!

Always looking for a bargain I am!

Odd as it sounds, I feel like my primary community is probably with people who don't have much of a community. :lol: For example, my crowd in high school was sort of the misfit crowd... we weren't geeks, not jocks, not gothy... we just did our own thing.

This is probably due to all the many ways in which I'm a minority, from being HoH to being left handed, from being bisexual to being vegan.

I'm fully Mexican through my ancestors. However, I was born and raised in Chicago and I actually identify myself as Mexican-American. The lifestyle that I lead is American. I've lost most of my Spanish due to the fact that I don't really speak it often. The way I see it, if you were to go to your ancestors' country and you feel out of place then you're not really part of that culture/ethnicity.

Isn't ethnicity that which our parents "gave us" by birth? Deafness: is a condition- to me-correct?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

:aw:drphil, i believe you're still lost
the question you mention has been discussed many many times on here
it's part of the point of the forum

as for me, only one I know of for sure is Jewish

my recent ASL teacher would be an example of ethnic Deaf

To answer the original question...I have more than one ethnic identity.

Last edited:
No comment re No ethnicity. Who is lost? Presumably- no parents. Only on computer screens-of course.
To me I became bilateral DEAF on December 20, 2006 in actuality. Whether "approved by deaf Militants"-if existent not sought out. Real easy to determine-silence.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

No comment re No ethnicity. Who is lost? Presumably- no parents. Only on computer screens-of course.
To me I became bilateral DEAF on December 20, 2006 in actuality. Whether "approved by deaf Militants"-if existent not sought out. Real easy to determine-silence.

That's not really an answer.

Back