Do you have an ethnic identity?

Opera is my cluture. Apart from that I see myself as British (rather than specifically English) but it seems that only people from England say this. People from Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales tend to say their specific country's nationality! why is this?

Opera is my cluture. Apart from that I see myself as British (rather than specifically English) but it seems that only people from England say this. People from Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales tend to say their specific country's nationality! why is this?

English people still have the Conquerer mentality?

I don't know... Personally I like the unity of the countries so call myself British. I actually find it offensive when people say 'english' but perhaps the other countries see England as 'in charge' so its the connecting with England that they don't like. Perhaps if there was a collective term for britain excluding england, they's use that!? who knows!!

p.s I absolutely ADORE the purple unicorn - it makes my very happy :)

IMO it's cause all of them were or are separate countries. So it's not surprising the people coming from those countries will still have nationalism of their birth country.

I don't know... Personally I like the unity of the countries so call myself British. I actually find it offensive when people say 'english' but perhaps the other countries see England as 'in charge' so its the connecting with England that they don't like. Perhaps if there was a collective term for britain excluding england, they's use that!? who knows!!

p.s I absolutely ADORE the purple unicorn - it makes my very happy :)

Great about the unicorn. I am glad it makes you happy. :)

People (all Scottish) on my MSN feels like they're being under-represented by the UK when it come to affairs internationally and European Union.

If I had to pick a description, I'd say that I'm a Southerner (although a very urban one!).

I have a hard time perceiving how I fit into various categories. I don't really fit neatly into any category. Maybe I'm a square peg?

Hmm, interesting. I dentify myself as Irish as my mother is Irish and I live here almost all my life. But, technically I am British as I was born in england and my father was english.
If someone ask, I say Irish. But if I fill out form I have no problem in saying British!

Had to be carefull there and say British instead of english so not offend lianne!!:giggle:

Only joke!, I would tend to say British without even thinking about it.

Hmm, interesting. I dentify myself as Irish as my mother is Irish and I live here almost all my life. But, technically I am British as I was born in england and my father was english.
If someone ask, I say Irish. But if I fill out form I have no problem in saying British!

Had to be carefull there and say British instead of english so not offend lianne!!:giggle:

Only joke!, I would tend to say British without even thinking about it.

:giggle: When Irish eyes are smiling.....ya know they are up to something! :hug:

hehe! don't worry! I won't call the culture police on you just yet :P

*Thinking long and hard*---------------I guess I could say that I'm a deaf German/English Floridian. I was born in Arkansas, but most of my life I spent in Florida and I identify that side of me more that Arkansas. (sorry Dixie) Father's side of family is German, mother's is English/Aussie.

Scottish, Welsh

I did find out long ago that my family on my mother's side is decended from a Queen of England. I will have to find out which one. LOL

I identify myself as an Italian person even though I'm a mutt. First thing that comes to mind would be: female, then Italian. I tend to forget that I'm hard of hearing. :whistle:

I am a Deaf Native American born in United States, but have many ancestors lived in Ontario and Quebec. I identify more with Deaf Culture than being Native American even I knew about aboriginal cultures very well. I prefer being Cree over Cherokee because I know that Culture than Cherokee. Vice versa. :hmm:

Back