Do you feel or think that CI ruin.......?

Do you feel or think that CI ruin the Deaf culture?

• Yes

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 42 56.0%
  • Netural

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • No opinion

Votes: 4 5.3%

• Total voters
I voted, no....the CI will never signal the death knell of the deaf culture.

Wait...wasn't you or Cheri thinking about a CI at some point?

:confused:

:confused:

What does this have to do with the question to this thread? It asked "Do you feel or think that CI will ruin the Deaf Culture" It didn't asked "Would you like to have a CI for yourself or not"?

I voted no. A technological device cannot kill a culture. The perception of the device may however.
People must remember that culture is always changing and evolving. Look at a history book. Change is inevitable. If a society resists change, the change will happen anyway with or without thier blessing. A society that cannot or does not evolve, will die. As I said, look at hisotry.

I voted neutral, just depends on person.

I voted no - there will always be deaf people who can not benfit from a CI or chose not to have one. People predicted that HA's were the end of Deaf Culture, remember. This too, will pass.

You means when back in 1950's? I think it was same thing as in 1950's when new HA is first introduced and believe that will ruin deaf culture but it won't happen.

I think yes

I think that cochlear implants and other related technology will eventually destroy Deaf culture. Interesting that I'm saying this as I'm a mainstreamed deaf adult, and I'm both trying to get my ASL completely fluent and also seriously considering getting an implant this summer.
Why do I think it will destroy our culture? The centerpiece of Deaf culture is ASL, and with the improving technology, fewer and fewer people will speak ASL. 90% of us are born to hearing parents. So I think ASL will mostly die out in the next hundred years or so. There will remain some strong Deaf families but most of the 90% will get these new technologies, especially as they become less invasive.
In the best of all possible worlds there would be some way to overcome the "disability" aspect of deafness while retaining the cultural and pride aspects of being Deaf. And for those of you who argue that deafness is not a disability, in the paradigm we live in more than 99% of people communicate in a way that is at the very least challenging and sometimes impossible for us. For the disability aspect of deafness to be done away with, we can only surround ourselves with Deaf culture, effectively shutting ourselves off from most of the world.
I know that it is important for me, even as I will likely get an implant, to advocate for Deaf culture, pride and language. For a few generations we will be able to keep that. And then, sadly, I think it will fade away, especially as implants are replaced by invisible, more effective technologies that may at the very least give the illusion of reversing deafness.
Think of all the great human societies that have died out and lost their languages-- the Romans, the Etruscans, the original Aryans of India, the Mayans and Incas, indigenous tribes the world over, including many Native American societies... and that's only the tip of the iceberg. I'll do what I can to keep the culture alive, but I think we're seeing the beginning of the end, unless some kind of advocacy can sustain ASL awareness even among those of us who do not need to use it to communicate. Ironically enough, it will be in other parts of the world where sign language in many forms is continued, as many will be too poor to have access to medical and technological advances. Part of me hopes that ASL usage can become more widespread internationally, even as I also support linguistic diversity of many different sign languages. I think that's the only way it can survive.

I voted No. At first, I thought it was going to ruin before I got one. After that, I realized I was wrong. It didnt ruin.

I wouldn't say that CIs are ruining deaf culture, but the people who get them that decide to ruin the culture.

If a person who gets CI decides to stop signing and stop hanging out with deaf people, then that's his/her choice... not because of the CI. You want to be mad at someone? Be mad at that person for making that choice.

It's like those who are addicted to the internet. They chose to get addicted, it's not the computer's fault or the internet's fault.

I'm on the internet a lot, but I'm not addicted. I drink, but I'm not an alcoholic. I smoke, but I'm not addicted to smoking. I choose to do other things... so my will power is strong enough to keep myself under control.

I wouldn't say that CIs are ruining deaf culture, but the people who get them that decide to ruin the culture.

If a person who gets CI decides to stop signing and stop hanging out with deaf people, then that's his/her choice... not because of the CI. You want to be mad at someone? Be mad at that person for making that choice.

It's like those who are addicted to the internet. They chose to get addicted, it's not the computer's fault or the internet's fault.

I'm on the internet a lot, but I'm not addicted. I drink, but I'm not an alcoholic. I smoke, but I'm not addicted to smoking. I choose to do other things... so my will power is strong enough to keep myself under control.

I will agree with you on that. I have a CI but I haven't stopped signing, I still go to deaf events, etc. Why? Simply because I enjoy those things.

I vote Nay....
It cannot destroy deaf culture. We're still deaf when we go to bed and sleep, go swimming, or play rough sports. Battery in CI goes out, we instantly become deaf. We're dependent on power source for CI just like America to Foreign Oil. Deaf culture still always be with us. I still can't understand what radio, intercom and telephone being said even with CI on. CI doesn't cure deafness. Just enchance our life style. It's very much like hearing aid on steroid. I don't always wear CI daily basis. I wears it when I want to hear. We deafie have biggest advantage over Hearing people that we can turn on or off noisy world. ASL still stay the way for next centuries.
Catty.

Last edited:
I vote Nay....
It cannot destroy deaf culture. We're still deaf when we go to bed and sleep, go swimming, or play rough sports. Battery in CI goes out, we instantly become deaf. We're dependent on power source for CI just like America to Foreign Oil. Deaf culture still always be with us. I still can't understand what radio, intercom and telephone being said even with CI on. CI doesn't cure deafness. Just enchance our life style. It's very much like hearing aid on steroid. I don't always wear CI daily basis. I wears it when I want to hear. We deafie have biggest advantage over Hearing people that we can turn on or off noisy world. ASL still stay the way for next centuries.
Catty.

:bowlol: I love that comment about the hearing aids on steriods! That's too funny! :)

Back