Can we switch HoH son's communication mode now?

ReednOwensmommy

Reaction score
Hi! I'm new so I'll start with a quick introduction. I am Stephanie. My son, Reed, is almost 12 and was born HoH (profound loss in his right ear, no loss in his left). I recently graduated from an interpreter training program and working on my certification now.

When Reed was born we knew nothing about ASL, hearing loss, Deaf culture, or anything else. We listened to the doctors because we believed they were the experts. Unfortunately, we were never given any information at all about anything but oralism. He speaks well, and listens reasonably well if conditions are good, but still struggles, especially in school now that he is getting older. He is interested in learning ASL and becoming a part of Deaf culture, which we are encouraging. Unfortunately, simply knowing a lot of ASL does not make me qualified to teach him and really, what 12 year old wants to learn stuff from their mom? ;) After visiting earlier in the spring, he had decided he wants to attend Michigan School for the Deaf. For a variety of reasons, my husband and I strongly agree. I think this would be an excellent environment for him. Unfortunately, the school district is still pushing oralism on us because he doesn't currently know ASL so they say they are basing the decision on his current communication mode.

Does anyone have experience with changing from oral/aural as the primary mode of communication to ASL at a later age? Specifically, does anyone know of any resources I can refer to to strengthen our position with the district? We have a meeting next week and the director of special ed has already mentioned her plan to place him in a self-contained special-ed classroom (not HI classroom).

Thank you for your input. :)

Changing communication preference and placement

I posted a long post yesterday about this, but it doesn't appear to have showed up anywhere. So, I'm trying again.

First an introduction since I'm new: I'm Stephanie. My son Reed is 11.5 and was born with a profound sensorineural loss in his right ear. I also recently graduated from an interpreter training program. We live in a suburb of Detroit.

Unfortunately for Reed, we are the victims of some bad professional advice. When he was born and discovered to have a hearing loss, his doctor dismissed it as not a big deal. He said kids with single sided deafness do fine with very little intervention. At that time, we knew nothing of ASL, Deaf culture, or hearing loss and took the audiologist at his word as an “expert”. We were never offered any information on signing, socializing him with other d/hoh kids, or anything else. He did well in school (mainstreamed with an FM system) until around 4th grade. From then until now (6th grade), he has been on a downward slide of frustration and slipping grades. He has no friends, although the kids at his school are very nice to him. He just isn’t able to socialize and connect with them.

Knowing what I know now, I started to introduce him to ASL and Deaf culture and he loved it. He read my Deaf culture and history textbook cover to cover in a matter of days. He wants to learn more ASL, but I just don’t have the teaching genes, lol. I haven’t been able to find him an age-appropriate class or local Deaf mentor yet.

We visited the Michigan School for the Deaf back in March and his eyes lit up. He was more engaged during our 2 hour visit than he has been all year combined in his mainstream school. He wants to go there. That is huge, since he has basically hated school for a couple years now. Unfortunately, our local district (he has been in a charter school until now) is resistant. Their “hearing consultant” is a lot like his original audiologist and has dismissed his problems in school as not being related to his hearing. They are stonewalling us because his current communication method is listening and speaking.

I have been searching for months for anything that could strongly support our right as his parents to change his communication mode to ASL. All the research I’ve found so far is based on kids who have had ASL as their primary communication all along. Does anyone have any personal experience or strong supporting information we can take to our meeting next week to get him the placement he needs and avoid taking the district to court through due process (which I’m definitely willing to do, but would rather avoid if possible)?

Not that this has any bearing on his unique educational needs, but I'm curious if you actively sign with and around him?

Is he not meeting standards? Is he making progress and meeting (age appropriate?) IEP goals?

Hi! I'm new so I'll start with a quick introduction. I am Stephanie. My son, Reed, is almost 12 and was born HoH (profound loss in his right ear, no loss in his left). I recently graduated from an interpreter training program and working on my certification now.

When Reed was born we knew nothing about ASL, hearing loss, Deaf culture, or anything else. We listened to the doctors because we believed they were the experts. Unfortunately, we were never given any information at all about anything but oralism. He speaks well, and listens reasonably well if conditions are good, but still struggles, especially in school now that he is getting older. He is interested in learning ASL and becoming a part of Deaf culture, which we are encouraging. Unfortunately, simply knowing a lot of ASL does not make me qualified to teach him and really, what 12 year old wants to learn stuff from their mom? ;) After visiting earlier in the spring, he had decided he wants to attend Michigan School for the Deaf. For a variety of reasons, my husband and I strongly agree. I think this would be an excellent environment for him. Unfortunately, the school district is still pushing oralism on us because he doesn't currently know ASL so they say they are basing the decision on his current communication mode.

Does anyone have experience with changing from oral/aural as the primary mode of communication to ASL at a later age? Specifically, does anyone know of any resources I can refer to to strengthen our position with the district? We have a meeting next week and the director of special ed has already mentioned her plan to place him in a self-contained special-ed classroom (not HI classroom).

what kind of accommodation does he have now at school?

I cannot help with the school district issues but I can say that you are doing the right thing. I was born hearing and contracted meningitis when I was 9 months old. My right ear became completely deaf and my left ear had a moderate/mild loss. I managed to make it through school successfully on full oralism, however the past few years, my hearing has been getting progressively worse and shortly after my 30th birthday, I lost the ability to hear a subset of people at all no matter how much amplification there is. I'm having to start learning ASL now at the age of 30 so that I can continue to have a comfortable form of communication with family and friends (though my family is not learning ASL :pissed:).

I also like the fact that you are letting it be his choice since he is the one that is having to suffer through trying to understand his teachers and school lessons. I would definitely start teaching him ASL ASAP so that the school district's main argument can no longer be used.

I also love the concept of the Bilingual Bicultural schools for the hard of hearing and children with cochlear implants. I wish these had been around in Alabama when I was a kid. Good luck with the school district.

I am assuming that the school you are wanting to send him to has both oral and ASL tracks? I would say start him there in an oral setting if needed, Insist he have at least 1 ASL class per day and if he will be staying in dorms, make sure he is in an ASL dorm. Also the kids pick up ASL from their peers during extra curricular activities, dorm life etc. Just try and get him as intergrated as possible. Is he wanting to learn ASL himself? Also u should sign any time he is around...

Reed and Owensmommy, this is awesome, that you're interested in switching modes! It's actually not that unusal for bilateral dhh kids to start struggling around adolescence. Again, as you have noticed kids can do OK one on one or in Good Listening Conditions BUT, the world is NOT a soundbooth. Even HOH kids should have the right to function well in all sorts of listening conditions. We deserve a full toolbox!
We have a meeting next week and the director of special ed has already mentioned her plan to place him in a self-contained special-ed classroom (not HI classroom).
One thing you could push is that self contained sped and dhh ed is like comparing apples and oranges.Even most mainstream sped teachers do not have a lot of traning in how to teach HOH kids! Let me guess......the other kids in the self contained program are either severe LD or autistic or other not related to dhh disabilties right?
You could say that you want your son to be prepared just in case he has a progressive loss. You could also say you want to give him a full toolbox...that his speech abilty is as developed as its gonna get. You can also mention that middle and high school can be really really tough in the mainstream.
You could also say that you want him to become bilingal in Sign

Hello there, and welcome. Firstly, I would like to encourage you to know you needn't formally teach your son ASL. You simply need to start signing anytime you are communicating with him or in his presence. He will pick it up readily without formal lessons. Secondly, contact the school for the deaf and get them to assist with an assessment. They will be your best resource to evaluate him and assist you in getting what accomodations they may deem necessary for your son's best opportunities to function in the educational setting.

Not that this has any bearing on his unique educational needs, but I'm curious if you actively sign with and around him?

Is he not meeting standards? Is he making progress and meeting (age appropriate?) IEP goals?

I am embarassed to admit that I tend to SimCom with him because his receptive skills are so basic right now. I am seeing his understanding start to increase so I am trying to wean off the speaking and sign more exclusively. Unfortunately, because he isn't yet used to watching for my signing, I still tend to have to speak to get his attention and repeat a lot of what I sign verbally when he doesn't understand. I'm trying, though.

He is struggling. Although he still tests well, he is isolated and frustrated at school. He uses an FM system, and the school is relying heavily on that. He still misses out on all the indirect learning that the hearing kids are getting (when another student asks a question in class, he hears the teacher's answer but not the question) and pretty much ALL socialization (which we all know is very important in middle school).

what kind of accommodation does he have now at school?
Right now his only hearing accomodations are an FM system and preferential seating. It just isn't working for him, but the school is blaming him and saying his educational problems are lack of effort.

I am assuming that the school you are wanting to send him to has both oral and ASL tracks? I would say start him there in an oral setting if needed, Insist he have at least 1 ASL class per day and if he will be staying in dorms, make sure he is in an ASL dorm. Also the kids pick up ASL from their peers during extra curricular activities, dorm life etc. Just try and get him as intergrated as possible. Is he wanting to learn ASL himself? Also u should sign any time he is around...
Michigan School for the Deaf is a Bi/Bi school. All classes are taught directly in ASL by the teachers. They will accomodate him by adding spoken English in class until his ASL skills progress to the point where it is no longer necessary. The problem is getting our district to agree to send him there in the first place. The placement they want for him is in our home district has no access to ASL at all. He is interested in learning himself, but we have had a hard time finding age-appropriate resources for him. The kids' DVDs and books I've found are geared toward toddlers and the local classes are for adults. :( As mentioned above, I do sign with him as much as I can. He is picking it up slowly, but without more fluent language models and peers it is a struggle for him.

Reed and Owensmommy, this is awesome, that you're interested in switching modes! It's actually not that unusal for bilateral dhh kids to start struggling around adolescence. Again, as you have noticed kids can do OK one on one or in Good Listening Conditions BUT, the world is NOT a soundbooth. Even HOH kids should have the right to function well in all sorts of listening conditions. We deserve a full toolbox! One thing you could push is that self contained sped and dhh ed is like comparing apples and oranges.Even most mainstream sped teachers do not have a lot of traning in how to teach HOH kids! Let me guess......the other kids in the self contained program are either severe LD or autistic or other not related to dhh disabilties right?
You could say that you want your son to be prepared just in case he has a progressive loss. You could also say you want to give him a full toolbox...that his speech abilty is as developed as its gonna get. You can also mention that middle and high school can be really really tough in the mainstream.
You could also say that you want him to become bilingal in Sign

Thank you for your comments. This is exactly my opinion. Now to convince the rest of the IEP team. ;)

We have a meeting next week and the director of special ed has already mentioned her plan to place him in a self-contained special-ed classroom (not HI classroom).

Does your son have some other type of disability? If not, why do they think a special education classroom is the place for him?

:hmm: Two threads on this topic. As I want to make sure my input is seen, I will post it in this thread also.

Hello there, and welcome. Firstly, I would like to encourage you to know you needn't formally teach your son ASL. You simply need to start signing anytime you are communicating with him or in his presence. He will pick it up readily without formal lessons. Secondly, contact the school for the deaf and get them to assist with an assessment. They will be your best resource to evaluate him and assist you in getting what accomodations they may deem necessary for your son's best opportunities to function in the educational setting.

http://www.alldeaf.com/deaf-educati...ication-preference-placement.html#post2072299

Wirelessly posted

ReednOwensmommy said:

I grew up oral in a public school setting with out knowing ASL. I joined a Deaf school in 9th grade and adjusted very well learned ASL. I loved it.

Thank you so much CSign. Don't know why it wasn't showing up for me before.

No need to thank me :) We are curious though about the answers to some of the questions posed... Having that information would make it easier for us to give you some additional (potentially) useful information...

Those were my thoughts (almost) exactly! :wave:

Welcome to AllDeaf..
We visited the Michigan School for the Deaf back in March and his eyes lit up. He was more engaged during our 2 hour visit than he has been all year combined in his mainstream school. He wants to go there. That is huge, since he has basically hated school for a couple years now. Unfortunately, our local district (he has been in a charter school until now) is resistant. Their “hearing consultant” is a lot like his original audiologist and has dismissed his problems in school as not being related to his hearing. They are stonewalling us because his current communication method is listening and speaking.

I have been searching for months for anything that could strongly support our right as his parents to change his communication mode to ASL. All the research I’ve found so far is based on kids who have had ASL as their primary communication all along. Does anyone have any personal experience or strong supporting information we can take to our meeting next week to get him the placement he needs and avoid taking the district to court through due process (which I’m definitely willing to do, but would rather avoid if possible)?
Sounds like your son has made the choice for you, and it would be wonderful if he would be able to join Michigan School for the Deaf..
Hope you can make it happen..

I posted a long post yesterday about this, but it doesn't appear to have showed up anywhere. So, I'm trying again.

First an introduction since I'm new: I'm Stephanie. My son Reed is 11.5 and was born with a profound sensorineural loss in his right ear. I also recently graduated from an interpreter training program. We live in a suburb of Detroit.

Unfortunately for Reed, we are the victims of some bad professional advice. When he was born and discovered to have a hearing loss, his doctor dismissed it as not a big deal. He said kids with single sided deafness do fine with very little intervention. At that time, we knew nothing of ASL, Deaf culture, or hearing loss and took the audiologist at his word as an “expert”. We were never offered any information on signing, socializing him with other d/hoh kids, or anything else. He did well in school (mainstreamed with an FM system) until around 4th grade. From then until now (6th grade), he has been on a downward slide of frustration and slipping grades. He has no friends, although the kids at his school are very nice to him. He just isn’t able to socialize and connect with them.

Knowing what I know now, I started to introduce him to ASL and Deaf culture and he loved it. He read my Deaf culture and history textbook cover to cover in a matter of days. He wants to learn more ASL, but I just don’t have the teaching genes, lol. I haven’t been able to find him an age-appropriate class or local Deaf mentor yet.

First - I want to say it really sucks to be a victim of "bad advice". Doctors and non compassionate people always seems to think they can FIX deaf into hearing and they get upset and make it look like its you when things doesnt looking hearing enough.

Second- my background - I went to public school all my life in hearing school as ONLY deaf person there with no terps. Knew ZERO signs. when I went to college- I went to NTID and got the biggest cultural shock you can imagine. I was an outcast for a short time as I was struggling to understand signing. Long story short - The only thing that kept me there was a girl I fell in love with made me learn ASL at a extremely fast pace and then I started to fit in. Looking back now -- I think I would've done better academically if I knew ASL in grade school and graduated with better grades, I wouldve had a different social group in college for sure if I went in knowing signs and done better.

third -- don't beat yourself up about "receiving bad advice". After all we all learn as we go and we know whats best for our children. what really matters is that you are noticing things and you are willing to make changes as long your child wants to do so too. No matter what good/bad choices we make- our children will always turn out just fine one way or another.

Does your son have some other type of disability? If not, why do they think a special education classroom is the place for him?
Oops, got ahead of myself in my original post. He also has Asperger Syndrome. He is extremely high functioning (we like to tell him he's too smart for his own good, lol). The only area he struggles in academically is writing. He is a very concrete, visual thinker and has a hard time thinking abstractly to write. He was in the gifted and talented program through elementary school. I don't believe he should be placed in special education classes where the kids primarily need remedial help.

We are curious though about the answers to some of the questions posed... Having that information would make it easier for us to give you some additional (potentially) useful information...
Ok, I think I've answered them all. Thank you everyone for your input. It's nice to know we're making the right decision for him. Since my husband and I are hearing, your opinions are invaluable to us. :aw:

Back