Can we switch HoH son's communication mode now?

BTW, MSD has been nothing but supportive of our efforts to get his placement there. The problem is that right now his Aspergers is listed as his primary disability on his IEP. Up till now it hasn't mattered what order they were listed, but under Michigan sp. ed rules they can't do anything until his hearing is listed first and he is referred by our local district. I am planning to push for evaluations by them during our meeting next week but they are unable to help me based on my direct request. It HAS to come from the district. :(

BTW, MSD has been nothing but supportive of our efforts to get his placement there. The problem is that right now his Aspergers is listed as his primary disability on his IEP. Up till now it hasn't mattered what order they were listed, but under Michigan sp. ed rules they can't do anything until his hearing is listed first and he is referred by our local district. I am planning to push for evaluations by them during our meeting next week but they are unable to help me based on my direct request. It HAS to come from the district. :(

First of all, what a change from the old days when only severe and profound kids could attend deaf schools!!!!!!
I'm super excited you reconize that he's struggling and that middle and high schools can be hell!!!!! We need more parents like you!
He also has Asperger Syndrome. He is extremely high functioning (we like to tell him he's too smart for his own good, lol). The only area he struggles in academically is writing. He is a very concrete, visual thinker and has a hard time thinking abstractly to write. He was in the gifted and talented program through elementary school. I don't believe he should be placed in special education classes where the kids primarily need remedial help.
Oh I 100% agree, and i feel for you. If it makes you feel better my parents went through the same thing (I'm gifted/LD and hoh although bilateral) I really never felt that mainstream sped addressed my needs. (in my area sped was and is a dumping ground) Does he have any language issues by any chance? That might be a way to pry open the door to going to MSD. You could also point out he doesn't need remedial sped, but more "different approach' sped.

Welcome to AllDeaf..

Sounds like your son has made the choice for you, and it would be wonderful if he would be able to join Michigan School for the Deaf..
Hope you can make it happen..

Wow, Cloggy, that is a change to make the compliment to the new AD member about her son. I hope you understand what we have been trying to explain all those years. I hope you get it. :cool2:

In addition to a HUGE binder full of research, I've also written up a brief statement of our reasons for wanting to change his communication mode and what we're seeking from the district. Please let me know if you see any holes in my statement. Thank you all for your input! :)

Around the 4th grade, educational focus typically shifts from “learn to read” to “read to learn.” It was around this time that Reed first began to struggle. Prior to this point, he had been advanced in nearly all subjects; therefore his academic records do not fully show the scope of his difficulties. It is our belief that his grade-to-grade progress has been shrinking. He is not meeting his own personal progress potential. Michigan Revised School Code, section 380.1751 clearly states that special education services must be designed to “develop the maximum potential of each handicapped person.” As research shows that 30-35% of students with unilateral hearing loss fail and must repeat a grade, this diminished progress is of great concern.

Unilateral deafness, particularly when presented as a profound loss in the right ear, has been shown to reduce speech comprehension by 25-70%, depending on a variety of factors such as room acoustics, speaker tone, pitch, volume and speed, ambient noise, and fatigue. While amplification via a bone anchored hearing aid and personal FM system are beneficial, amplified ambient sound, sound distortion, lack of localization, physical complications associated with osseointegrated devices, and fatigue continue to be problematic, leading to high frustration.

In addition to the academic disadvantages of monaural hearing, Reed is lacking in social experiences and a personal identity, or sense of where he fits in. He is largely self-isolated, in part because times when students typically socialize (i.e. - lunch, hallway between classes), he is unable to access enough communication. Also lacking is his access to inferential learning, which is naturally obtained by peers with full hearing. This puts him at additional disadvantage socially, as well as psychologically, by leaving him feeling left out and further isolated. Due to rising frustration levels, Reed has experienced increasingly frequent behavior problems.

The Michigan Department of Community Health advises parents of the potential for academic difficulties associated with unilateral loss. Also noted in its literature is an admonishment to remain flexible regarding choices of communication mode and make changes as necessary as the child grows. The statement “decisions about communication mode are not irreversible” makes it clear that we, as parents, have the right and responsibility to choose the best option to meet our child’s needs at any time.

Based on these factors, along with substantial research and Reed’s preference, we no longer believe an aural-only approach to be appropriate for Reed. It is our position that the Least Restrictive Environment for him is one in which he has access to 100% of communication, and where he has comfortable, direct communication with his peers (which are defined as a person who is equal to another in abilities, qualifications, age, background, and social status).

The National Association of the Deaf believes that all persons with any degree of hearing loss would benefit from American Sign Language, and that “no deaf or hard of hearing child [should] be denied the opportunity for instruction in a particular communication mode or language solely because of the child’s remaining hearing… or the child has previous experience with some other communication mode or language.” The World Federation of the Deaf further posits: “deaf children have the right to expect that their needs and human, linguistic and educational rights are respected and supported by educational authorities.”

It is our recommendation, as members of the IEP team, that Reed begin intensive training in ASL by a qualified, native signer in order to increase his receptive and expressive signing skills. He should work 1:1 with a Deaf or Hard of Hearing mentor, and have access to a developmentally appropriate curriculum that incorporates Deaf culture and the social aspects of deafness, hearing loss, and deaf blind in order to increase self-worth and identity. He should be placed in classrooms which are visually and acoustically appropriate with teachers who are trained in working with children with hearing loss. We believe that Michigan School for the Deaf is the most appropriate placement to meet these needs.
Thoughts?

Does he have vision issues?

Towards the end you made reference to "inferential" learning. I think you meant to use the word, "incidental".

Towards the end you made reference to "inferential" learning. I think you meant to use the word, "incidental".

It's possible (or, likely, lol) my understanding of the concept is faulty. I understood inferential learning to be concepts learned indirectly or "inferred" from things overheard that are not directed at the hearer. Perhaps I should rephrase?

It's possible (or, likely, lol) my understanding of the concept is faulty. I understood inferential learning to be concepts learned indirectly or "inferred" from things overheard that are not directed at the hearer. Perhaps I should rephrase?

Yes, incidental learning is the correct term to use.
In addition i am VERY impressed with your statement. You may want to put something that the self contained sped classroom is NOT going to meet his needs. I think that will be the ticket.

I've never heard that phrase "inferential learning"- maybe someone else has. I'm pretty sure the word you want to use is "incidental". :)

Is he not meeting grade standards, or his goals layed out in his IEP?

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

I keep meaning to post to this thread - being that I've been in an almost identical position myself growing up.

I'm on my blackberry now, but once I get to my computer I'll write more.

To the OP feel free to PM me as a reminder if you don't see anything from me in a day or so!

Yes, incidental learning is the correct term to use.
In addition i am VERY impressed with your statement. You may want to put something that the self contained sped classroom is NOT going to meet his needs. I think that will be the ticket.
I think I originally found this in an article on DeafEd at Hands & Voices. It was probably an error. I will change this in my printed copy. Thank you for catching this. :)

Is he not meeting grade standards, or his goals layed out in his IEP?
He does wear glasses, but isn't really considered low-vision. I included the DB statement based on recommendations from a member of my local Deaf community, as it is something he should be culturally aware of, but it isn't something likely to be well understood by a mainstream program. If he's going to be able to actively participate in the Deaf community, he'll need to understand how to interact with DB (I personally know of several who are active in this area who he's likely to come in contact with in the future). Just trying to cover all my bases. ;)

Inferential / inference 'learning' seems to be a terminology attributed to asperger's children :dunno:
you can see it here: Google Search: aspergers "inferential" learning
Good to know. I'll be especially careful to reference the correct concept. Thank you for the link. :)

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

I keep meaning to post to this thread - being that I've been in an almost identical position myself growing up.

I'm on my blackberry now, but once I get to my computer I'll write more.

To the OP feel free to PM me as a reminder if you don't see anything from me in a day or so!

Yes, please! I welcome any feedback I can get. I don't think I have enough posts yet to PM, but I'll try to find some way to contact you if you don't find this post again. :)

Everyone here is so welcoming and helpful. Thank you all!

I think I originally found this in an article on DeafEd at Hands & Voices. It was probably an error. I will change this in my printed copy. Thank you for catching this. :)

He does wear glasses, but isn't really considered low-vision. I included the DB statement based on recommendations from a member of my local Deaf community, as it is something he should be culturally aware of, but it isn't something likely to be well understood by a mainstream program. If he's going to be able to actively participate in the Deaf community, he'll need to understand how to interact with DB (I personally know of several who are active in this area who he's likely to come in contact with in the future). Just trying to cover all my bases. ;)

Good to know. I'll be especially careful to reference the correct concept. Thank you for the link. :)

Thanks for clarifying, I absolutely agree with your points about cultural awareness.

Are there any other placement options? Have you visited them? If there aren't any besides mainstreaming, I would change your last sentence a bit. I ask that so that you have all your based covered.

Maybe something like, "It is our belief that the least restrictive environment for Reed is at MSD. That is the only placement that will provide him with complete access to language through ASL, and can provide him with an environment that will provide him with the skills and self- confidence needed to live a happy and productive life."

^ actually, that's not the best I can come up with... I'm still drinking my first cup of coffee. ;) I would just try and reword it in a way that expresses its the only placement that can meet all of his needs.

The other thing to remember- a students goals drive placement... So if you can get some goals in there that can only be met at MSD you'll be in a better position.

You can use some of the content in your letter to create some goals. Ex. Signing goal, cultural awareness, socialization with deaf peers, learning attention getting techniques for other deaf students etc.

Yes, please! I welcome any feedback I can get. I don't think I have enough posts yet to PM, but I'll try to find some way to contact you if you don't find this post again. :)

Everyone here is so welcoming and helpful. Thank you all!

You have PM privileges now :) once you hit 10 posts you're good to go.

Just realized that I forgot to answer CSign's question. His goals so far have been mostly focused on his Asperger's. His hearing goals are exclusively related to wearing his hearing aid consistantly (which he doesn't like and has had numerous problems with this year). He wears a bone anchored hearing aid (which he chose when we felt he was old enough to make the decision for himself) and has had problems with infection and broken equipment.

The rest of his goals are based on his not consistantly turning in work and acting out in frustration. We believe both of these are results of his hearing, but the school he's been in until now disagrees and is blaming him. They say it's just lack of motivation and no consequences at home (NOT true. We definitely hold him responsible for his behavior, but I'm not going to punish him for not hearing directions).

Grrr! It's just all so frustrating.

Just realized that I forgot to answer CSign's question. His goals so far have been mostly focused on his Asperger's. His hearing goals are exclusively related to wearing his hearing aid consistantly (which he doesn't like and has had numerous problems with this year). He wears a bone anchored hearing aid (which he chose when we felt he was old enough to make the decision for himself) and has had problems with infection and broken equipment.

The rest of his goals are based on his not consistantly turning in work and acting out in frustration. We believe both of these are results of his hearing, but the school he's been in until now disagrees and is blaming him. They say it's just lack of motivation and no consequences at home (NOT true. We definitely hold him responsible for his behavior, but I'm not going to punish him for not hearing directions).

Wow. What a joke!!!!! Of course it's at least partially (if not mostly) attributed to his hearing loss. Does he have an Itinerant Teacher of the Deaf working with him? It sure doesn't sound like it.

Are there any other placement options? Have you visited them? If there aren't any besides mainstreaming, I would change your last sentence a bit. I ask that so that you have all your based covered.

Maybe something like, "It is our belief that the least restrictive environment for Reed is at MSD. That is the only placement that will provide him with complete access to language through ASL, and can provide him with an environment that will provide him with the skills and self- confidence needed to live a happy and productive life."

^ actually, that's not the best I can come up with... I'm still drinking my first cup of coffee. ;) I would just try and reword it in a way that expresses its the only placement that can meet all of his needs.

The other thing to remember- a students goals drive placement... So if you can get some goals in there that can only be met at MSD you'll be in a better position.

You can use some of the content in your letter to create some goals. Ex. Signing goal, cultural awareness, socialization with deaf peers, learning attention getting techniques for other deaf students etc.
Good point. That's what I was going for with that statement, but in re-reading it doesn't really have the weight I was looking for. I'll keep working on that part.

Wow. What a joke!!!!! Of course it's at least partially (if not mostly) attributed to his hearing loss. Does he have an Itinerant Teacher of the Deaf working with him? It sure doesn't sound like it.

He has services from the "hearing consultant", but she doesn't actually work with him. She just services the FM equipment and advises the teachers. He has a parapro 1:1, and the school says she checks for understanding. The problem is, she asks "Did you get that?" He either thinks he understood until he starts to work on the homework and then realizes it doesn't make sense (because he missed chunks of the isntruction), or just nods because he's not hearing her either. It's not really comprehension, and it's increasing his dependence on the para to be his communication go-between. We want him to be able to communicate directly, not wait for the para to double-check or tell him when someone is talking to him.

Good point. That's what I was going for with that statement, but in re-reading it doesn't really have the weight I was looking for. I'll keep working on that part.

He has services from the "hearing consultant", but she doesn't actually work with him. She just services the FM equipment and advises the teachers. He has a parapro 1:1, and the school says she checks for understanding. The problem is, she asks "Did you get that?" He either thinks he understood until he starts to work on the homework and then realizes it doesn't make sense (because he missed chunks of the isntruction), or just nods because he's not hearing her either. It's not really comprehension, and it's increasing his dependence on the para to be his communication go-between. We want him to be able to communicate directly, not wait for the para to double-check or tell him when someone is talking to him.

:hmm: Asking, "did you get that" is no way for them to ensure "he got it". They need to ask specific questions, trying to elicit an answer that indicates he heard and understood the information.

My other thought about your comment regarding increased reliance on the para rather than direct communication is that you should definitely listen to your gut instinct. Isn't it sort of counterproductive to have a child with Aspergers not be encouraged to have direct lines of communication and engagement? Does he have any goals relating to socialization with peers?

Hmmmm..............Is his Asperger's more along the line of severe socialization issues, or does he have the "obessive interests" componet?
I'm seriously wondering if he was in a dhh program/school if it might turn out his social issues aren't as bad as they're currently seeming in a hearign setting. I'm not diagnosing him or anything, but it DOES seem like almost every kid who has social issues seems to be labled as having Asperger's. I think doctors and educators have forgotten that other conditions can have social issues too..........like being HOH!

Back