Boy, 8, accidentally kills self at gun show

Personally, I don't like guns (although I wouldn't mind shooting them at a shooting range) and would like strict gun control laws, BUT this does not change my mind about anything nor adds fuel to the fire. This is more of a "Um wow thats retarded parenting" thing.

Why am I getting a visual of the dad giving the Uzi to his son because it's "cute" and it makes him happy to see his son being so "manly"?

probably. If that's the case - then he's a fucking idiot and should not have any children. But this is not your stereotypical redneck gun camp where anybody is free to try out any gun with nobody watching the guns. This is conducted under safe, controlled supervision with a professional/supervisor at each table. They probably had EMT on stand-by there.

I don't know what the hell happened or how this happened but it happens.

Yes accidents happen, but there comes to a point where the risk is too much. Letting an 8 year old freely shoot a Uzi seems more risky to me than riding a horse. I forget whether 8 year olds have the capability to hold themselves onto a horse but a parent should ride along with them if not.

I'm absolutely sure the boy didn't shoot it freely without any adult assistance. Like I said previously - I don't know what happened but I'm very positive that the father or a supervisor was there behind him, assisting him and somehow.... this horrible incident happened.

Maybe the adult was in process to position himself behind the child and somehow - the child got overly-excited, quickly grabbed the gun, and pulled the trigger. Who knows? This is for sure - this gun range remains closed for several months for investigation.

This is off-topic but I want to share this story. Last year, the private gun range I went in NY was closed for 7 months because of this fucking idiot. When he came to firing range early in the morning, there was nobody around so he acted recklessly, ignoring the firing range safety rules.

He was shooting at the target beyond the safety line and walked to the target while carrying the gun (which you're supposed to unload the gun and leave it on the table). In that process - he shot at his own foot. The ambulance, FBI, ATF, police, etc. all came and shut down the range. What a fucking twat. The range was nearly permanently gone but by a grace of miracle... it came back to business. It's constantly under attack and pressure by local public wanting to shut it down for good. Gotta love the anti-gun area.

I think it is VERY stupid for someone as an 8 year old to hold something so deadly and dangerous yet, even it is loaded.

He is not old enough to handle weapons that are as dangerous as the Uzi.

When I was around 13 or so, my first gun was obviously a B.B. gun as it is usually the type of gun that kids first learn with it for shooting. I never own any other guns besides that since they are obviously expensive anyway.

It is very stupid to have a very young child holding a certain weapon like that...then *BANG* to his head. obviously shows he was not ready to use that.

I think it is VERY stupid for someone as an 8 year old to hold something so deadly and dangerous yet, even it is loaded.

He is not old enough to handle weapons that are as dangerous as the Uzi.

When I was around 13 or so, my first gun was obviously a B.B. gun as it is usually the type of gun that kids first learn with it for shooting. I never own any other guns besides that since they are obviously expensive anyway.

It is very stupid to have a very young child holding a certain weapon like that...obviously shows he was not ready to use that.

I agree.

And obviously--he's dead.....

Good Lord, giving an eight-year-old an Uzi set for full rock 'n roll? Very sad and entirely preventable. I really feel for the father, who must live with his guilt and family for the rest of his life.

I have been a proud gun owner and an even prouder hunter all my life. However, there are some areas where I have to draw the line. I strongly disagree with "gun bans" or "gun registrations", but for goodness sakes, why in the world does the general public, much less children, have access to militant-style, automatic weapons? I really do not agree with some automatic weapons that are floating around on the market. Sure, there are some automatic pistols that are ideal for home defense, and I support that. I have one in my car and one in my home. But why in the world would I own a UZI or an AR-15 or AK-47??? To me, that's just ridiculous.

Now, in the case of this child, I honestly believe it was the fault of the adults around him. If he wandered there and found the UZI, then its the fault of the parent who let him wander in such a dangerous environment and the fault of the gun owner who left a loaded gun lying around.

All three of my children know of my automatic pistol and they know how dangerous it is. They know they are not supposed to touch it and the severe consequences as a result. However, to them, I teach and stress hunting safety. Its all a matter of responsible parenting. The guardians of this 8 year old were not being responsible.

Why, even, own an automatic gun weapon? Six rounds should be enough. 10 bullets in a few seconds is overkill. OVERKILL.

Now, in the case of this child, I honestly believe it was the fault of the adults around him. If he wandered there and found the UZI, then its the fault of the parent who let him wander in such a dangerous environment and the fault of the gun owner who left a loaded gun lying around.

That would be largely instructor/supervisor/owner's fault for not watching their merchandises. Wherever you go in public place/exhibitions, there is a reasonable expectation of safety. When you go to amusement park, it should be safely maintained and inspected and the danger zone should be fenced off.

Since Byrdie linked an article that there could be a criminal charge since the article mentioned that an instructor was watching the boy at the range.... obviously - the safety rule has been compromised.

I'm puzzled - did the instructor let the boy handled it? or did the instructor overlooked it?

Why, even, own an automatic gun weapon? Six rounds should be enough. 10 bullets in a few seconds is overkill. OVERKILL.

why even own a Ferrari? or a V-12 supercar? or even those GIGANTIC suv? V4 car should be enough and it's good for safety & environment. A small person or non-attentive person could kill a family in a car with a hummer. OVERKILL. :roll:

Even in military Basic Training they never let a soldier have more than three bullets in an automatic weapon he is using for the first time. Someone screwed up BIG TIME here.

Even in military Basic Training they never let a soldier have more than three bullets in an automatic weapon he is using for the first time. Someone screwed up BIG TIME here.

most def.. hence pending criminal investigation. I'm very curious to see the outcome of it. Sadly - it's going to take a long time....

Terrible tradegy and I am sure the father will feel the guilt for the rest of his life.

It just baffles me to see how a 8 year old child was able get a hand on a UZI. As we all know, a UZI is one of the powerful gun that is out there.

It's sad to see something like this to happen. I also have to wonder, Why or how was that allowed in the first place?

According to the article -

It is legal in Massachusetts for children to fire a weapon if they have permission from a parent or legal guardian and are supervised by a properly certified and licensed instructor, Lt. Hipolito Nunez said. The name of the instructor helping the boy was not released.

It is legal? Wow. It didn't say how old the child could be able to fire a weapon under an adult supervision. Even though he was supervised, I think 8 years old is still too way young to be doing that kind of activity.

I hope no law has been changed/updated as the result of this tragedy. I only want those responsible to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law because it's serious and this needs to be made example of. It's a touchy issue...

why even own a Ferrari? or a V-12 supercar? or even those GIGANTIC suv? V4 car should be enough and it's good for safety & environment. A small person or non-attentive person could kill a family in a car with a hummer. OVERKILL. :roll:

Now you're comparing a car to an Uzi? :roll: . . . and to giving it to an eight-year old?

Now you're comparing a car to an Uzi? :roll: . . . and to giving it to an eight-year old?

same common sense. wrong issuance of blame. one of them cause far more deaths than other and I think you know which one.

we're not talking about giving a gun to a little boy. the issue here is about you thinking those type of guns like AK-47 and UZI are unnecessary and probably should be banned. beside - who said someone gave it to 8-years old? Maybe he simply grabbed it and shot it.

I hope no law has been changed/updated as the result of this tragedy. I only want those responsible to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law because it's serious and this needs to be made example of. It's a touchy issue...

Well, I wouldn't be surprised to see the law could be changed and/or updated because of the recent situation. I do agree, the ones that are held responsible should be extended to a prosecution but however, I think there should be an age limitation for a child to fire a weapon under an adult supervision. I just think 8 years old is too young for that.

same common sense. wrong issuance of blame. one of them cause far more deaths than other and I think you know which one.

we're not talking about giving a gun to a little boy. the issue here is about you thinking those type of guns like AK-47 and UZI are unnecessary and probably should be banned. beside - who said someone gave it to 8-years old? Maybe he simply grabbed it and shot it.

As the article said --
he was told the boy's father was supporting his son from behind when the shooting happened

I don't think it shows that the boy grabbed it and shot it. His father was right there supporting from the behind. If the boy had simply grabbed it, I'd have think the outcome would been worse by accidentally shooting other people who were in the proximity.

Well, I wouldn't be surprised to see the law could be changed and/or updated because of the recent situation. I do agree, the ones that are held responsible should be extended to a prosecution but however, I think there should be an age limitation for a child to fire a weapon under an adult supervision. I just think 8 years old is too young for that.

Perhaps. The gun show can simply put up its own rule - "NO CHILDREN UNDER AGE --- ALLOWED TO SHOOT"

As the article said --

I don't think it shows that the boy grabbed it and shot it. His father was right there supporting from the behind. If the boy had simply grabbed it, I'd have think the outcome would been worse by accidentally shooting other people who were in the proximity.

I don't know how this slipped past me me but I didn't realize there was 2nd half of article. Don't you love MSNBC site where it puts a large ads in middle of it? I was at work and the monitor was small so I overlooked it. From what the article said - looks like the instructor will be shit-faced for failing to ensure the safe handling of gun.

Back