Boy, 8, accidentally kills self at gun show

I'm a bit confused, how did the boy accidentally shot himself in the head if his father is right behind him?

Honestly, I do not know anything about guns so I dunno what is Uzi submachine.
Here is the Uzi website:

: : THE UZI OFFICIAL WEBSITE : :

Submachine guns:

http://www.israel-weapon.com/default.asp?catid={961053C3-242F-42C0-90DA-7E3FE7754685}

That is why I think the gun shows should be banned.

and this is why people like you should not be anywhere near to gun and to leave us gun owners alone

Did you know that an Uzi can shred a six-feet high, wide and back crate of concrete blocks into many pieces with just one magazine?

Did you know that you have to be competent and trained to do that kind of damage? I guarantee you that you will be NOWHERE close to creating that kind of damage. Funny how a serious anti-gunner would know that kind of detail.

Sounds like this was not a gun show, but a shooting range! I can't believe the damned thing was loaded in a public place like that! And why in the world would an 8 year old need to know how to shoot an Uzi?

this is not a training purpose. this is just for fun. I'm sure when you take your kid to zoo, you would put the kid on horse or some animal. Well hey - what if that animal had unpredictable behavior? It would throw him off, step on him, bite him, etc.

I'm a bit confused, how did the boy accidentally shot himself in the head if his father is right behind him?

Honestly, I do not know anything about guns so I dunno what is Uzi submachine.

this is some kind of exhibition hosted by private gun range - probably a yearly traditional thing. They let you shoot under the supervision. What happened is.... with my educated guess - the UZI has quite a recoil and for 8 years old to handle it? That's too young and weak to handle the recoil. When you depress the trigger, the gun goes upward due to recoil. With improper handling, that's how you get shot in the face. You tend to panic because of un-expectation. when you panic, you tend to squeeze the trigger (clenching the grip) especially in machine guns and tragedy can happens.

The father most likely positioned himself behind the child to control the recoil. Somehow - it slips thru. Who knows? I'm sorry for them that this happened under safe, controlled environment but it does happen. You can get injured/killed even from atv/horseback riding for tourism anyway. Should we ban it too? It's dangerous too. Accident happens and it's RARE for this to happen at exhibition/gun show.

It is no excuse for the father to allow his 8-years old to handle a very dangerous weapon such as Uzi which can fit in your regular briefcase. I hope the father carries his agonizing guilt with him until he is under six feet.

That is a horrible thing to hope for.

This is a father that just lost his son.

I can only imagine the horrendous guilt that this father feels. With out everyone hoping the worst for the father.

I picked up the local paper and read about it. What kind of "adult supervision" would give an 8-year old an Uzi? This is what the NRA stands for? I wonder if the father feels any guilt. What logic is there in this tragedy? It's overhwelmingly disgusting.

and this is why people like you should not be anywhere near to gun and to leave us gun owners alone

I have been close to many relatives and friends who are gun owners and I had used some guns such as BB, M-16 and .308 guns that they allowed me to. In addition, I am always in favor of their right to bear arms, but I always believe safety, education and strong responsibility of using guns are utmost important. Letting kids as young as 8 years old use a dangerous gun is so wrong and look at what happened to that father and son. I think it would be ideal if the son is taught how to use guns under supervision when he is 13 years old.

This is just so sad, whether you believe in guns or don't.

Did you know that you have to be competent and trained to do that kind of damage? I guarantee you that you will be NOWHERE close to creating that kind of damage. Funny how a serious anti-gunner would know that kind of detail.

I do not need you to give me a lecture about the competency and training; in addition, I do not need to go to pick up an UZI to do it. It is a matter of choices that I want to make. Know how I knew about it? Some years ago, I watched a news magazine program and they ran a story about UZIs. The former Israeli commando gave some demonstration of UZI in front of camera and the demonstration left me in awe of UZI.

I ain't against guns whatsoever. You can keep making wrong assumptions about me.

I have been close to many relatives and friends who are gun owners and I had used some guns such as BB, M-16 and .308 guns that they allowed me to. In addition, I am always in favor of their right to bear arms, but I always believe safety, education and strong responsibility of using guns are utmost important. Letting kids as young as 8 years old use a dangerous gun is so wrong and look at what happened to that father and son. I think it would be ideal if the son is taught how to use guns under supervision when he is 13 years old.

so what about farmer and his son? It's a dangerous place for kid to be around with big heavy animals. Like I said - this is horribly tragic but rare.

btw - those weapons you used are nothing compared to UZI since it's a submachine genre. It's harder to control. I'm sure they strongly believed in safety, education, and strong responsibility but rarely - thing can happen and this is it.

I do not need you to give me a lecture about the competency and training; in addition, I do not need to go to pick up an UZI to do it. It is a matter of choices that I want to make. Know how I knew about it? Some years ago, I watched a news magazine program and they ran a story about UZIs. The former Israeli commando gave some demonstration of UZI in front of camera and the demonstration left me in awe of UZI.

I ain't against guns whatsoever. You can keep making wrong assumptions about me.

and you keep making wrong assumptions about gun owners.

That is a horrible thing to hope for.

This is a father that just lost his son.

I can only imagine the horrendous guilt that this father feels. With out everyone hoping the worst for the father.

Well, it is an act of irresponsibility which is completely avoidable that the father committed and it was inexcusable. I am sorry that he has suffered like that but it was still completely avoidable.

I like to speak out on what's my mind about various issues which interests me greaetly.

Well, it is an act of irresponsibility which is completely avoidable that the father committed and it was inexcusable. I am sorry that he has suffered like that but it was still completely avoidable.

I like to speak out on what's my mind about various issues which interests me greaetly.

So if the father lets the kid to get on the horse/camel at local zoo... but got killed in process (such as a horse got freaked out by some noise, threw him off and then step on him). Is that an act of irresponsibility as well? Same thing for amusement park, public swimming pool, local park, and even car expo. As far as I'm concerned, parents should lock their kids at home to avoid any "act of irresponsibility." :roll:

I like to speak out on various issues as well but I don't harp on things like irresponsibility or stupid. Accident happens. It's life.

So if the father lets the kid to get on the horse/camel at local zoo... but got killed in process (such as a horse got freaked out by some noise, threw him off and then step on him). Is that an act of irresponsibility as well? Same thing for amusement park, public swimming pool, local park, and even car expo. As far as I'm concerned, parents should lock their kids at home to avoid any "act of irresponsibility." :roll:

I like to speak out on various issues as well but I don't harp on things like irresponsibility or stupid. Accident happens. It's life.

You're comparing an Uzi to a horse? Uh . . . :roll:

Personally, I don't like guns (although I wouldn't mind shooting them at a shooting range) and would like strict gun control laws, BUT this does not change my mind about anything nor adds fuel to the fire. This is more of a "Um wow thats retarded parenting" thing.

Why am I getting a visual of the dad giving the Uzi to his son because it's "cute" and it makes him happy to see his son being so "manly"?

It is no excuse for the father to allow his 8-years old to handle a very dangerous weapon such as Uzi which can fit in your regular briefcase. I hope the father carries his agonizing guilt with him until he is under six feet.

*nodding in agreement*

You're comparing an Uzi to a horse? Uh . . . :roll:

both can kill/injure a child, yes? Like I said - accident happens but it's rare in those kind of situations. How often do you hear in news about a child being killed by UZI in USA? Probably 15+ years ago. And horse? Probably several times a year. Horse can act unpredictable and it is huge. It can crush a child's skull like an apple.

An act of irresponsibility for parent to put their child on horse and assume it's a lovely tame animal, yes? :roll:

I don't wanna butt heads about this issue. Do not assume the father was irresponsible or whatsoever. It's simply a horrible tragic and let's just leave it at that.

both can kill/injure a child, yes? Like I said - accident happens but it's rare in those kind of situations. How often do you hear in news about a child being killed by UZI in USA? Probably 15+ years ago. And horse? Probably several times a year. Horse can act unpredictable and it is huge. It can crush a child's skull like an apple.

An act of irresponsibility for parent to put their child on horse and assume it's a lovely tame animal, yes? :roll:

I don't wanna butt heads about this issue. Do not assume the father was irresponsible or whatsoever. It's simply a horrible tragic and let's just leave it at that.

The purpose of riding a horse is quite different from the purpose of shooting an Uzi. That's my point.

Yes accidents happen, but there comes to a point where the risk is too much. Letting an 8 year old freely shoot a Uzi seems more risky to me than riding a horse. I forget whether 8 year olds have the capability to hold themselves onto a horse but a parent should ride along with them if not.

Back