At what age do you think people should be permitted to have a driver's license?

At what age do you think people should be permitted to have a driver's license?

• Driving legal at age 16

Votes: 34 45.9%
  • Driving legal at age 18

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • Driving legal at age 21

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • Any other ages than 16, 18 and 21 ?

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters
got mine immediately upon turning 16 wooo hooooooo.
vroooooooooommmmmmm
it might be good idea to make penalties more severe for younger driver's...........
believe california does this now

got mine immediately upon turning 16 wooo hooooooo.
vroooooooooommmmmmm
it might be good idea to make penalties more severe for younger driver's...........
believe california does this now
How so?

You make it sound like young people should not have licenses.
No he is right about California and law on teens. We have many laws on teen drivers and it works. If they break any law for instance drive with other teen after curfew, they would lose their license. It goes same for adult, if they got 3 tickets in one year, they lose license.

My poll vote is legal age 16 to get a permit license. It's common. When I was 15 years old. I got my permit license for drive education class.

That law is better than our laws in USA... Our laws in USA was very horrible, especially if we live in most populated states like California.

Yeah, I know. Our Australian law is very tough on us, the rules below - is getting tougher now. The rules about handling faster cars such as V8's are forbidden due to the system statistics, that a lot of teens has been killed handling of these turbo's, V8's and high powered cars, such for example.

One 19 year old teenger who drove Blue Nissian Skyline That car has turbo installed and was drag racing with other driver and his 17 year old girlfriend who was preggy at the time was killed when the drag race went out of control as the nissan crashed into a tree in a quiet suburban street, the car was split in two. Also, that driver was a Red P plater (See rule below)

See, that's the reason the government wanted to tighten the rules, but still teen ignored these, in Canberra our rules are different, Canberra roads are not like Sydney roads, they are more safe, but still there is few hoons, though.

For you all Australians - you might know about this or not..

In Canberra, the captial City of Australia.

The licence law is different than the other states.

- Learners permit is 15 and 9 months. Licenence valid for two years.
- At 17 years old, they can get their P's (Provisional Licence), this licence has no limits on speed - they are allowed to drive up to 110km/hr on highways.
- They can use horsepower cars, like V8's for example. (They have to be careful
- The P's are for three years, they must display their red P plates on the car for three years, unless you are on your P's for more than 6 months, they can take the "P off course" which you attend a 3 hour workshop and listen and discuss different issues about roadready then you are certified not to display the P plates on the car for the rest of the remaining years and extra 4 points on your licence.
- When you get the P's, there is no tests required, they only have to pass the eye test, easy done.
- once the three year probation has passed, they are automatically upgraded to full driver's licence - no tests needed. :bowdown:

BUT

For Sydney - way very different.

-They are eligbilbe for L's at 16 (I think) and they have to complete 150 hours or more while holding Learner's Licence and only drive up to 80km/hr.
- at 17, they are eligible for the Red P's - they have to Pass the test, if so, they are allowed to have the RED P's for 12 months, and when the 12 months ends, they have to do another test for GREEN P's which will hold for the next two years.
- the two colored P's have the difference, the law has changed recently.

RED P's - They only allowed to drive up to 90km/hr, nothing over.
they are restricted to one passenger per car, and they have a night time curfew I think ( I am not sure)

GREEN P's - They are only allowed to drive up to 100km/hr.

Once the Green P's two year has ended, they have to pass for the full driver's licence, if they fail, they will remain on their P's as they are extended for another 6 months.

For both P licence holders, they are restricted to drive 4 clyinder and 6 clyinder cars, they are not allowed to drive horsepower cars like turbo, V6's, and V8's - they are forbidden until they gain their full licence.

Lucky, for myself, as an Canberran, I am getting my new Full drivers licence only next month... one month to go :D

Sydney Rules just got tougher earlier this year.

I think it's incredibly LAUGHABLE and ignorant of people to say "16 years old is too immature!!! 21 should be good enough!"

First of all - the statistic itself is VERY subjective and EASILY misunderstood. Yes the statistic will say 100000 kids aged 16 die per year and it is #1 killer for 16 years old. Well - to be MORE specific -

1. Where do majority of deaths occurred in? (what state and what type of area - suburban/rural/highway)
2. What are the typical background of those kids who died? rich? poor?
3. What percent of deaths/accidents is DUE to 16-years old drivers' fault?
4. There is ABSOLUTELY no way of knowing fairly accurate percentage that represents TOTAL population. for ie - 40% of 16-years old die to car accidents. 40% as in how many 16-years old teens died out of total population of 16-years old teens.

I study demography and statistic as part of my study for GIS (Geographic Information System) field so just be very very careful on interpreting the statistic and who you get the statistic from.

The age of driver is not a factor of this problematic issue. Why? Because government is the one who issued license to them and we all know driver ed is a JOKE. Any morons can do it! America is extremely diverse and extremely different in many areas. 16 years old in South rural area is more matured than 16 years old in NJ suburb so it's not fair to raise age limit to 18-21 because young guys in rural area need to drive to work or matured young kids with single working parents need to drive to high school where school buses are not available in their areas. I don't mind allowing as young as 14-15 years to drive but we need to make our driver ed as tough as German driver ed. I've seen german driver ed and I was very very impressed at such rigorous, thorough training. They learn just about everything - the etiquette, how to drive on highway, etc. and for our driving test, we only need to know how to steer, park, and gas/brake and YOU'RE DONE!! what a joke! No wonder they say germans are the best drivers in the world! :laugh2:

Yeah, I know. Our Australian law is very tough on us, the rules below - is getting tougher now. The rules about handling faster cars such as V8's are forbidden due to the system statistics, that a lot of teens has been killed handling of these turbo's, V8's and high powered cars, such for example.

One 19 year old teenger who drove Blue Nissian Skyline That car has turbo installed and was drag racing with other driver and his 17 year old girlfriend who was preggy at the time was killed when the drag race went out of control as the nissan crashed into a tree in a quiet suburban street, the car was split in two. Also, that driver was a Red P plater (See rule below)

See, that's the reason the government wanted to tighten the rules, but still teen ignored these, in Canberra our rules are different, Canberra roads are not like Sydney roads, they are more safe, but still there is few hoons, though.

Sydney Rules just got tougher earlier this year.

Wow interesting, thank you for sharing. I never see a road that are able to go on lot of mphs like that around my location. But what's the legal age for drinker in Australia?

I think it's incredibly LAUGHABLE and ignorant of people to say "16 years old is too immature!!! 21 should be good enough!"

First of all - the statistic itself is VERY subjective and EASILY misunderstood. Yes the statistic will say 100000 kids aged 16 die per year and it is #1 killer for 16 years old. Well - to be MORE specific -

1. Where do majority of deaths occurred in? (what state and what type of area - suburban/rural/highway)
2. What are the typical background of those kids who died? rich? poor?
3. What percent of deaths/accidents is DUE to 16-years old drivers' fault?
4. There is ABSOLUTELY no way of knowing fairly accurate percentage that represents TOTAL population. for ie - 40% of 16-years old die to car accidents. 40% as in how many 16-years old teens died out of total population of 16-years old teens.

I study demography and statistic as part of my study for GIS (Geographic Information System) field so just be very very careful on interpreting the statistic and who you get the statistic from.

The age of driver is not a factor of this problematic issue. Why? Because government is the one who issued license to them and we all know driver ed is a JOKE. Any morons can do it! America is extremely diverse and extremely different in many areas. 16 years old in South rural area is more matured than 16 years old in NJ suburb so it's not fair to raise age limit to 18-21 because young guys in rural area need to drive to work or matured young kids with single working parents need to drive to high school where school buses are not available in their areas. I don't mind allowing as young as 14-15 years to drive but we need to make our driver ed as tough as German driver ed. I've seen german driver ed and I was very very impressed at such rigorous, thorough training. They learn just about everything - the etiquette, how to drive on highway, etc. and for our driving test, we only need to know how to steer, park, and gas/brake and YOU'RE DONE!! what a joke! No wonder they say germans are the best drivers in the world! :laugh2:

:gpost: I agree, not only 16 years old people get accidents, also I have been in 5 different accidents in my lifetime and all of them are by range of age 40-50, two of them was drunk women, two of them was men using cell phone, and none of those was my fault. Not only 16 years old people would do that.

Interesting thread.

I rather to focus my boys' education first before learn driving.

Then that's probably the reason why Australia have more restricted law compare to the America's law on the driver's legal age.

Yes, that might be correct, I believe that the government might have reflected the other countries laws, in other hands rules are never perfect.

A bit bewildered.....when you post on a 'forum'...you are basically talking to everyone....that is the definition of forum.:dunno2:

I see this on occasion and scratch my head.

(In general speaking post)

I got a few same wondering questions from personal PMs yet again.

First off.. my old post, #114, was refered to the #104 and some posts that I agreed with. I was not talked to everyone as my post was not really clear. I know I am sound like I am easily absent-minded person anyway. However, my old posts are pretty old news. In fact, before I joined the AD and I was only visit debates communities from either LJ or GJ sometime. I never really invovled with so often, but rather to post a simple comment as my personal opinions. I only knew a little how to handle any debate until I became a member of AD, I got much better. Thanks to Libling's other thread for good tips about "disagree to agree" and "debate tips" subjects.

Of course, I am still not always good at handle any debate and my personal opinion that general debates may good education for me. I still do enjoy those debates. :)

In note - my old posts (#114, #115, #116, #118, #122, and #128) were actually only nearly a year ago. I am now not that Mann_K05 person anymore, I am different than that person (old self).

Sorry for off topic...

Back to point --

I am still believe it is 21 of the age for legal driving. :)

Heh, I have no problem with your disagreely comment.

(In general speak post)

Wrote by KarissaMann05

December 22, 2006

"I rode the #14, I felt the bus was a little slow to move right to a crosswalk. I was like, "Huh? Why stop there?" I spotted a driver's back was reflected a tri-color by a siren police car. The siren car passed the #14, I just ignored and waited for the bus to move again. I once got off and I stepped out in front, and then I just walked a little slow. Suddenly, a boy walked soo faster and to pass by me, I puzzled at him and looked at his face. His face was a bit of shocking. I confused and turned my head to look at what he saw, I gasped.

There was two wrecked cars, one white van and one black jeep in a light traffic cross. It's really near the D.Q. at Commerial and Browning Roads. The white van was flipped back that was actually the top of it roof was on a grass nearby a taller lamp. I could see a bunch of broken glasses and a several bloods was scrattled anywhere else. It was scared me... I could not see who was the driver inside cos of the white van had it black windows, however, there was other car, the jeep, was pretty bad shape. Jeep's front was so wrecked, it looked like... almost flat, really.

It's so terrible.

I could see a man's (15-years-old) neck was not to move and I did not know if he was seriously injury or so. I don't know. Cos I could not see him in a dark time.

So, I couldn't get on other bus cos the stop bus sign was so close to that car accident. I decided to go to the D.Q. instead... I went in and I saw... NO workers. I was like, "what the hell? Where are they?" I turned my head to notice these workers who were just stare curiously at the car accident. I just said softly, "Hey?" Suddenly, they looked me and gave me "oh!s". Lol

So, I ordered some meal and one M-sized beverage. I met a girl who could sign language pretty good and I asked what happen. She told me that black jeep was just about to turn the right but the van hit that black one and the white flipped out plus several rolled heightly in air like 7 or 8 feet. YES, MANY FEET. Shit... poor those people.

I couldn't help myself as the workers did, I kept to stare how firemen tried to cut some metallic things and some doctors brought some medinice. Whatever they did, I kept stared. Two people (one woman and one man) were seems okay but a little wounded, probably, they may be some broken bones. I don't know. Other one (man) was in bad shaped and wounded. Gee...

(They were young teenagers and one adult)

I finished my meal and there was still need to do their mission, so I went out and to find other stop bus sign where the #1 could pick me up.

That's happen. It's about an hour ago. I'm done with the story. :/"

Here you go. I'd seen many car accidents anywhere else, mostly, they are teenagers. Sometimes, of course, there are adults too. :dunno2:

That's why I believe that 21 is better. Maybe 18 is can be good optional.

What's the difference between 16 and 21 if they start driving?

As a 16 year old they would do crazy things, if the law was at 21, they would do the same thing. Any opinions with this?

What's the difference between 16 and 21 if they start driving?

As a 16 year old they would do crazy things, if the law was at 21, they would do the same thing. Any opinions with this?
I agree with you, no difference between 16 and 21 when they first start driving. I feel if they started at 16 and by the time they reach 21 they are more experience drivers than if they first got license at 21. Why force parents to be responsible for young adults up to 21 years old to drive them to school or work? What about those young soldiers in Iraq, shall they be forbid to drive tanks if they were only 18 years old.

I agree with you, no difference between 16 and 21 when they first start driving. I feel if they started at 16 and by the time they reach 21 they are more experience drivers than if they first got license at 21. Why force parents to be responsible for young adults up to 21 years old to drive them to school or work? What about those young soldiers in Iraq, shall they be forbid to drive tanks if they were only 18 years old.

Excatly, and Jazzy you have many good points in relation of my opinion. :)

Back