Your Body Needs Water!

Mama2AFTIV said:
I am curious...

Since we have to drink about 8 glasses of water a day...so how many oz is that???? I drink 24 oz in am and another 24 oz in afternoon and sometimes one glass in evening during dinner to bedtime.
Follow the "8 x 8" rule. 8 glasses of 8 oz water. In other words, 64 oz.

However, it has never been proven that drinking 8 glasses a day is good for you.

wow.. i never knew about drinking too much and it's can cause dying.. i learn something new to me.

Too much water can create lethal results for long-distance runners

Wow, it's hot! Too hot to run a step.

But if you do, hydration management should be a top priority.

There are many hot-button topics buzzing around our sport of running, and here's one to consider: hyponatremia, which translates to "drinking yourself to death."

Hyponatremia, or low blood sodium, results from drinking too much water - before and during lengthy bouts of exercise - instead of sports drinks containing adequate amounts of carbohydrates and electrolytes like sodium and potassium.

Water is still a essential during exercise, but too much water combined with sweating can dilute mineral levels in the bloodstream and cause dangerous metabolic imbalances.

Deaths and near-deaths from hyponatremia have been reported at U.S. marathons. The threat of hyponatremia, often masked as heat stroke, dehydration or cardiovascular incidents, has become so serious that medical technicians at megamarathons like Boston and New York are testing runners' blood during and after the race. Trying to re-hydrate a hyponatremia victim could be fatal.

At the Boston Marathon in April, which had warm temperatures, runners suffering heat-related illnesses were given on-the-spot blood tests to determine sodium levels. Another marker is weight gain or loss, so scales manned by technicians were placed along the marathon route. Before the race, runners were asked to write their starting weight on their bib numbers. A weight gain of three percent or more from too much water would be a red-flag warning. A three percent loss signals mild dehydration.

Symptoms of hyponatremia include nausea, vomiting, muscular weakness, shortness of breath, headache, lethargy, disorientation and seizures.

Low sodium levels prevent the body from maintaining a normal fluid balance, and this has a deadly effect on the brain and lungs. The organs accumulate excess fluid, the brain swells and the lungs are flooded.

Hyponatremia has sometimes been referred to as "water intoxication." Even sports drinks formulated with proper electrolyte replacements can't always compensate for it.

In 2003, partly as a result of hyponatremia research collected at major marathons, USA Track & Field revised fluid-replacement guidelines. The American College of Sports Medicine, the International Olympic Committee, the U.S. military and others are publishing similar studies.

Following are some of the revised USATF guidelines for hydration management, along with additional tips from the American Running Association and the Gatorade Exercise Physiology Lab:

Hydrating with just water is fine for runs lasting an hour or less. But runners involved in endurance feats, especially those lasting longer than four hours, should consume 100 percent of fluids lost to sweat during exercise - no more.

Be sensitive to your onset of thirst, rather than staying ahead of the need to drink.

Begin your runs well hydrated, indicated by clear urine.

Weigh yourself before you leave for your workout, and weigh yourself when you return. If you have gained weight, don't begin drinking more water until after you've urinated. Only replace the weight loss.

Women and beginners are at greater risk for hyponatremia. Both tend to take longer to finish a long-distance run and are more vigilant about stopping at each aid station whether they need to or not.

Don't over-dilute the sports drinks with water because it negates the proper electrolyte formula.

Eat pretzels or something salty during the last half of an endurance run to restore some of the lost sodium.

My own encounter with hyponatremia symptoms occurred in April, when a group of us ran the More Marathon and Half Marathon in Central Park. The New York Road Runners, the same expert crew that organizes the New York City Marathon, tended to every aspect of this race, including the medical tent.

Large self-serve aid stations, stocked with eight-ounce cups of water and sports drinks, were placed every two miles on the repeat-loop course. It was sunny, with temperatures in 70s, but it seemed even warmer.

After 28 years of running, I believe I have a handle on hydration management. But after I finished the half marathon, I felt waves of nausea. I walked into the medical tent and asked for help.

"You may have the onset of hyponatremia," said the medic as he handed me a packet of salt and a little water. "Put this under your tongue and wash it down."

I did as I was told, under protest that it was simply dehydration. I thought paranoia had struck the medial unit, but better safe than sorry.

But after another small bag of salty Cheetohs, I was feeling like new.

For information on fluid replacement and heat studies, visit the American College of Sports Medicine site at www.acsm.org.

Link to the article...
http://www.stargazettenews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050718/COLUMNIST23/507180319

VamPyroX said:
Did you know that if you drink too much water, you could die?

yes it can be .. one of in my old school that she always drink water all the times and not much to eat you know the word name Beluima (sp) for 11 yrs and got passed away. in my school that some of ppl force her to eat it not only water cause she drink water too much

Water

You need to drink water thru the day, not just morning and night. Good idea, carry bottle of water with you.
It is difficult to die from drinking too much water. Here is another article about water you may find interesting.
The Importance of Drinking Water - Report
- By Donald Robertson M.D.,M.S.

HOW 8 GLASSES A DAY KEEPS FAT AWAY!
Incredible as it may seem water is quite possibly the single most important catalyst in both losing and retaining weight. Although most of us take it for granted, water may be the only true “magic potion” for permanent weight loss.
Water suppresses the appetite naturally and helps the body to process fat. Studies have shown that a decrease in water intake will cause an increase in fat deposits, while an increase in water intake can actually reduce fat deposits.
Here why
The kidneys can’t function properly without enough water. When they don’t work to capacity, some of their load is dumped onto the liver.
One of the liver’s primary functions is to convert stored fat into useable energy for the body. But, if the liver has to do some of the kidney’s work, it can’t operate at full throttle. As a result, it converts less fat; more fat remains stored in the body and weight loss stops.
Drinking enough water is the best treatment for fluid retention. When the body gets less water, it perceives this as a threat to survival and begins to hold on to every drop. Water is stored in extra cellular spaces (outside the cells). This shows up as swollen feet, legs and hands.
Diuretics offer only a temporary solution. They force out stored water along with some essential nutrients. Again, the body perceives this as a threat and will replace the lost water at the first opportunity. Thus, the condition quickly returns.
Excess salt may be also to blame for water retention. Your body will tolerate sodium only in a certain concentration, but the more sodium the more water is retained to dilute it. But getting rid of unneeded salt is easy – just drink more water, as it is forced through the kidneys it takes way excess sodium.
Since we know that water is the key to fat conversion, it follows that overweight people need more water intake.
Water helps to maintain proper muscle tone by giving muscles their natural ability to contract and by preventing dehydration. It also helps to prevent the sagging skin that usually follows weight loss – shrinking cells are buoyed by water, which plumps the skin and leaves it clear, healthy and resilient.
Water helps rid the body of waste. During weight loss, the body has a lot more waste to get rid of. Again, adequate water helps flush out the waste.
Water can help relieve constipation. The body siphons what it needs from internal sources with the excess being stored and processed in the bowel and colon. Result: Constipation is a common problem, however, when a person drinks enough water, normal bowel function usually returns.
So far, we’ve discovered some remarkable truths about water and weight loss:
· The body will not function properly without enough water
· The body can’t process stored fat efficiently without enough water
· Retained water shows up as excess weight
· To get rid of excess water you must drink more water
· Drinking water is essential to weight loss
How much water is enough?
On the average, a person should drink – eight 8- ounce glasses every day. That is about 1.5 Litres. However, the overweight person needs one additional glass for every 25 pounds of excess weight. The amount you drink also should be increase if you exercise briskly or if the weather is hot and dry.
Water should preferably the cold – its absorbed into the system more quickly than warm water. And some evidence suggests that drinking cold-water can eventually help burn calories.
To utilise water most sufficiently during weight loss, follow this schedule:
Morning 500 ml (1 pint) consumed over a 30-minute period.
Noon: 500 ml (1 pint) consumed over a 30-minute period.
Evening:500 ml (1 pint) consumed over a 30-minute period.
When the body gets the water it needs to function optimally, its fluids are perfectly balanced. When this happens, you have reached the “breakthrough point”. What does that mean?
· Endocrine-gland function improves
· Fluid retention is allowed, as stored water is lost
· More fat is used as food because the liver is free to metabolise stored fat
· Natural thirst returns
· There is a loss of hunger almost overnight
If you stop drinking sufficient water, your body fluids will be thrown out of balance again, and you may experience fluid retention, unexplained weight gain and

water or coke?

Here is an interesting article
Water or coke

Water
1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.(Likely applies to half world population.)

2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger.

3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's metabolism as much as 3%.

4. One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a
University of Washington study.

5. Lack of water, the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.

6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint
pain for up to 80% of sufferers.

7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty
focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page.

8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45% plus it can slash the risk of
breast cancer by 79%, and one 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer. Are you drinking the amount of
water you should ever day?

Coke
1. In many states ( in the USA) the highway patrol carries two gallons of coke in the trunk to remove blood
from the highway after a car accident.

2.You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of coke and it will be gone in two days.

3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the Toilet bowl and let the "real thing" sit for one hour,
then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous china.

4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of Rrynolds
Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola .

5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away
the corrosion.

6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Apply a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and
bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the dripping to mix with Coke for
sumptuous brown gravy.

8.To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run
through a regular cycle. The coca-cola will help loosen grease stains.
It Will also clean road haze from your windshield.

FOR YOUR INFORMATION:
1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its ph is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about four days.
Phosphoric acid also leaches calcium from bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase in
osteoporosis.

2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup ( the concentrate ) the commercial truck must use the Hazardous Material place
cards reserved for highly corrosive materials.

3. The distributors of Coke have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20years!

Now the question is, would YOU like a glass of water or Coke.

www.trimlikeme.net

VamPyroX said:
Follow the "8 x 8" rule. 8 glasses of 8 oz water. In other words, 64 oz.

However, it has never been proven that drinking 8 glasses a day is good for you.

Huh? Of course it have been proven for a long time ago that drinking 8 to 10 glasses a day is good for you and also water therapy, too.

There're common in Germany to drink mineral water, soda water and tap water to any soft drinks.

8 glasses of water = 2,5 liters a day.

I drink a lot of water but I am still alive... :lol: Yes, it's no good to overdrink when you are sporters like runners, alethic etc... For sporters, they should drink soda water, mineral water, energy or sport drinks because of soduim level.

Liebling:-))) said:
Huh? Of course it have been proven for a long time ago that drinking 8 to 10 glasses a day is good for you and also water therapy, too.

There're common in Germany to drink mineral water, soda water and tap water to any soft drinks.

8 glasses of water = 2,5 liters a day.

I love mineral water. I know of the Italian mineral water. Which one would be a quality German mineral water to drink please?

Heath said:
I love mineral water. I know of the Italian mineral water. Which one would be a quality German mineral water to drink please?

Yes, I like Italian mineral water, too.. We have it when we visit Italian resturant.

German Water
http://www.magazine-deutschland.de/issue/Wasser_5-05_ENG_E1.php

There're tooooo mannnnnyyyyy quality mineral water... All what we usually buy...

Apollinaris
http://images.google.de/imgres?imgu...ineral+water&start=20&svnum=10&hl=de&lr=&sa=N

Ayinger PrimAqua
http://en.ayinger-bier.de/?pid=127

I am fainted when I saw the $$$ of Gerolsteiner mineral water … Here in Germany is 3 times cheap than America. There’re mineral water prices for box of 12 bottles between $3.00 and $6.00 in every stores. We bought box of 12 bottles Gerolsteiner mineralwasser for $5.50... but $30??? :jaw:

GEROLSTEINER
http://www.aquamaestro.com/innerview.asp?catid=12

I can’t find Rödel mineral water in website. Perhaps it’s wrong spelling so I will check mineral water for correction when I’m home from work.

I haven't had coke cola or any soda pop in a month. Wow!

Water is beginning to taste good.

Why do people drink soda pop?

1. Is it because of sweet syrup taste?
2. Is it because of it strong bubbling taste?
3. Or is it because it is fun?

I remember when I was young child, soda pop tasted so nasty.

I got use to drinking 7up, sprite, pepsi, and coke cola...

But I still ain't use to dr. Pepper, yuck.

Miss*Pinocchio said:
I haven't had coke cola or any soda pop in a month. Wow!

Water is beginning to taste good.

Why do people drink soda pop?

1. Is it because of sweet syrup taste?
2. Is it because of it strong bubbling taste?
3. Or is it because it is fun?

I remember when I was young child, soda pop tasted so nasty.

I got use to drinking 7up, sprite, pepsi, and coke cola...

But I still ain't use to dr. Pepper, yuck.

The short answer is the sugar. We are a nation that likes its sweets. The trouble isn't sugar "per se" but the fact we get too much of it.

Fortunately, my wife has got my family drinking mostly water these days. I used to guzzle Decaffinated Coke but no more :mrgreen:

Reiko said:
It's called water intoxication. What happens is when you take in too much water in a short amount of time your sodium levels in the blood drop. After that excess water gets in the blood and fluid will build up on your brain.

That's why you drink bubbly water, mineral water, or natural water with salt. It allows balance.

-J.

i drink 8oz of water and I don't drink too much during the school day, because I can't go to the bathroom without any assistance. i drink 16oz of water at home and I can go to bathroom 5x in a day.

Back