Would you support BIBI programs as a national standard for Deaf ED?

Yes, but only if we shape up our Deaf schools. There are many that call themselves bi-bi but aren't. I would also have to see improvements in the way that bi-bi schools handle children who are fluent spoken language users, either hoh or CI users.

Yes, Definately.

Here's a suggestion. If you would support it, how about spending your time campaigning and speaking out for the rights of deaf children to an equal educational opportunity in your country? This is a cause where your voice is actually needed and wanted, unlike the abortion issue.

Here's a suggestion. If you would support it, how about spending your time campaigning and speaking out for the rights of deaf children to an equal educational opportunity in your country? This is a cause where your voice is actually needed and wanted, unlike the abortion issue.

What's to stop me doing both?

I definitely would support Bi-Bi programs as a national standard. What is better getting both languages/culture than none at all?

I support a national standard. I am not 100% sure if Bi-Bi is best, but that is mostly because I've never personally experienced it, and even though I've definitely read about it, the descriptions are unclear. Best description I've gotten was from Shel90, and I support her description of Bi-Bi, but who is to say that just because a school practices the Bi-Bi philosophy would have the same specifications? I think we should have a national standard in order to AT LEAST help the kids who do not have much support (parental or otherwise).

I definitely would support Bi-Bi programs as a national standard. What is better getting both languages/culture than none at all?

That's the whole point..too many deaf kids go through school without a strong language foundation.

That's the whole point..too many deaf kids go through school without a strong language foundation.

Exactly. I'm not saying Bi-Bi should be for every kids but at the most, They should be able to encounter the experience of having Bi-Bi in order to build their language foundation. Without it, they virtually have little language structure in order to make themselves heard.

Here is a problem I see, if all deaf schools convert to bi-bi, will hearing parents just stop sending their kids to deaf schools?

Here is a problem I see, if all deaf schools convert to bi-bi, will hearing parents just stop sending their kids to deaf schools?

My school converted to a BiBi program more than 10 years ago and there are still kids coming to our school. Just unfortunate that many of them come as a last resort with language delays. That's the problem when the hearing view is seen as a priority over the deaf children's visual needs.

My school converted to a BiBi program more than 10 years ago and there are still kids coming to our school. Just unfortunate that many of them come as a last resort with language delays. That's the problem when the hearing view is seen as a priority over the deaf children's visual needs.

But it is seen as a last resort. That is the problem. I think that if we get rid of oral and TC programs mainstreaming will take it's place, not bi-bi.

But it is seen as a last resort. That is the problem. I think that if we get rid of oral and TC programs mainstreaming will take it's place, not bi-bi.

If u prefer mainstreaming over BiBi, your opinion. I just disagree. And if all the parents send their kids to mainstreamed programs, then so be it. I do not care anymore. I am thinking about leaving the field of Deaf education anyway.

If u prefer mainstreaming over BiBi, your opinion. I just disagree. And if all the parents send their kids to mainstreamed programs, then so be it. I do not care anymore. I am thinking about leaving the field of Deaf education anyway.

Obviously, I don't prefer mainstreaming. I never said that. I was merely pointing out a con of the transition. I think that many parents would pull their kids from the schools, and many more would never enroll them in the first place.

I think part of the problem is that many people think that bi-bi doesn't value speech, or provide therapy for CI kids. They feel like that if they want those things they need a different kind of school.

Obviously, I don't prefer mainstreaming. I never said that. I was merely pointing out a con of the transition. I think that many parents would pull their kids from the schools, and many more would never enroll them in the first place.

I think part of the problem is that many people think that bi-bi doesn't value speech, or provide therapy for CI kids. They feel like that if they want those things they need a different kind of school.

Ok then I misunderstood your post when u said mainstreaming.

Well, that's one of the reasons I am thinking about leaving the field cuz it has gotten to be too much about speech therapy not education. That's not what looked for when I signed up to be a teacher.

Ok then I misunderstood your post when u said mainstreaming.

Well, that's one of the reasons I am thinking about leaving the field cuz it has gotten to be too much about speech therapy not education. That's not what looked for when I signed up to be a teacher.

I think part of the issue is that there are deaf kids who are able to get really great audition from devices, and are able to function very well using their hearing. These kids are often able to learn through listening, and so parents want to encourage this. I don't think they don't value education, but that they believe that their children can learn using their ears.

I think part of the issue is that there are deaf kids who are able to get really great audition from devices, and are able to function very well using their hearing. These kids are often able to learn through listening, and so parents want to encourage this. I don't think they don't value education, but that they believe that their children can learn using their ears.

Good for them. I will be long gone in a different career by then anyway. :D

Oral and TC are the philosophies most often used in a mainstream environment. I don't see that deaf schools going to a bi-bi philosophy will affect the TC and oral programs in the mainstream at all. It will simply provide a benefit for those students that are not being served properly through an oral or bi-bi program.

Back