Would you go to a Deaf Doctor/Chiropractor/Dentist

chirowife03

Reaction score
So I gotta know.. if you had a CHOICE in going to a DEAF/HOH Medical professional for your needs, whether if be a chiro, a gyno, a dentist.. would you seek that Professional out? and WHY? How would you see that as benefiting you enough to maybe go out of your way to drive a further distance? or maybe you wouldnt.. let me hear your thoughts.

PENNI

If you're doing your market research, and this is the survey part of it, you're doing a great job!

Personally, I would choose only based on quality. Health is one of the most prized assets that even the rich cannot always acquire. I want a top quality professional handling what I do, and if that happens to be you, then by all means I'll go for you.

I can imagine that being deaf-friendly enhances your marketability significantly. If you can really cultivate a deaf-friendly interpersonal relationship feeling in your advertising, you'll do fantastic!

I wasn't aware there was one out there, but to me it really doesn't matter as long as I have an interpreter with me then I'm happy! ;)

^Angel^ said:
I wasn't aware there was one out there, but to me it really doesn't matter as long as I have an interpreter with me then I'm happy! ;)

Psst...hon, if the chiropractioner, doctor, dentist is 'deaf', then there wouldn't be a need for an interpreter... :whistle:, umm...having one of those blond moments now? Awww...c'mere--let me help ya... :hug:

Roadrunner said:
Psst...hon, if the chiropractioner, doctor, dentist is 'deaf', then there wouldn't be a need for an interpreter... :whistle:, umm...having one of those blond moments now? Awww...c'mere--let me help ya... :hug:

My dearie, I know what he meant, but I don't need to see a deaf doctor, chiropractioner, dentist just because I'm deaf myself, I can go to anywhere that is close to where we live honey, even it may not be a deaf doctor but at least I will have an interpreter with me, that's all I care ;)

:ily: but hon, it looks like you're having the blonde moments ;)...

*off-topic*

Oooookkk....time for me to umm...run along now....*ahems*...**sees ^Angel^ chalkin' one up on me...** :lol:

(yeah, I suppose I do have some 'blonde' moments too-- :shock:, but thanks for correcting me, now I understand what you meant-- ;) )

I personally preferred them deaf! Because they can better understand me. Terps not always 100% accurate! My primary dr himself is deaf, and he is COOL! I wanted deaf dentist!

Even though my engish is good, but with my hands signing it is PURE ASL!

Yes I would go to a deaf doctor/chiropractor/dentist because it would be so easy to communicate with them. I would be able to have an eye contact directly with them without looking at an interpreter at all the times.

I can understand the sentiment (about wanting a medical professional that understand you from a deaf viewpoint) but it is a misplaced desire IMHO. Being deaf has nothing to do with your condition (other than hearing). You want the best professional that you are comfortable with to get the best care/treatment for the problem. There are some excellent doctors/professionals out there who can empathize with you (even if they are hearing).

It really comes down to which you prefer...a doctor who can "speak" your language and maybe not be the best for your situation or a doctor who is willing to work through an intrepreter to figure out your problem but really has a knack for dealing with your medical condition.

I'm not knocking any deaf medical professionals. They often have to be "better" than the normal hearing ones because they had to "prove" themselves. There was a ENT that I saw many centuries ago who was excellent and deaf (happened as a chain of circumstances). He literally had to go through so many hoops to practice that he was that good. If you can find one, great!

Since I function pretty well in the hearing world, I simply look for good doctors for different situations without any regard if they can empathize with deafness either being deaf or understand the deaf world.

I understand your point, but in reality best does NOT always mean the best anyway. Even if you were with the best professional and have terp to assist, when there is misunderstand in between you ahd the professional, then what is good is "Best"? Did it happen? You can bet on it!!! I have caught some terp MIS-interpret! I often have to STOP there and correct the mistakes! That can make HUGE difference.

sr171soars said:
I can understand the sentiment (about wanting a medical professional that understand you from a deaf viewpoint) but it is a misplaced desire IMHO. Being deaf has nothing to do with your condition (other than hearing). You want the best professional that you are comfortable with to get the best care/treatment for the problem. There are some excellent doctors/professionals out there who can empathize with you (even if they are hearing).

It really comes down to which you prefer...a doctor who can "speak" your language and maybe not be the best for your situation or a doctor who is willing to work through an intrepreter to figure out your problem but really has a knack for dealing with your medical condition.

I'm not knocking any deaf medical professionals. They often have to be "better" than the normal hearing ones because they had to "prove" themselves. There was a ENT that I saw many centuries ago who was excellent and deaf (happened as a chain of circumstances). He literally had to go through so many hoops to practice that he was that good. If you can find one, great!

Since I function pretty well in the hearing world, I simply look for good doctors for different situations without any regard if they can empathize with deafness either being deaf or understand the deaf world.

Hey there is ONE deaf dentist. I believe it is by Strong but I can be wrong.

diehardbiker65 said:
I personally preferred them deaf! Because they can better understand me. Terps not always 100% accurate! My primary dr himself is deaf, and he is COOL! I wanted deaf dentist!

Even though my engish is good, but with my hands signing it is PURE ASL!

diehardbiker65 said:
I understand your point, but in reality best does NOT always mean the best anyway. Even if you were with the best professional and have terp to assist, when there is misunderstand in between you ahd the professional, then what is good is "Best"? Did it happen? You can bet on it!!! I have caught some terp MIS-interpret! I often have to STOP there and correct the mistakes! That can make HUGE difference.

Agreed. Part of any patient/doctor relationship is communication and trust.

Your last point gets to the real crux of the matter...you have to be aware when it involves YOU....

I go to a DHH dentist and the quality of care is very good. I really prefer the Deaf dentist over any other I've ever had before.

If the deaf professional meets all of the hallmarks mentioned above, why I would be there yesterday! :D

Does the doctor, chiropractor or dentist meet the requirements prescribed and taken all the training and licensed? If so, I would not have a problem. However, the correct terminology is a doctor (or other) who is deaf, not a "deaf doctor." If it was a "deaf doctor" then I'd be concerned about his/her qualifications.

chirowife03 said:
So I gotta know.. if you had a CHOICE in going to a DEAF/HOH Medical professional for your needs, whether if be a chiro, a gyno, a dentist.. would you seek that Professional out? and WHY? How would you see that as benefiting you enough to maybe go out of your way to drive a further distance? or maybe you wouldnt.. let me hear your thoughts.

PENNI

If I felt s/he were the best qualified person to take care of me, and my insurance covered it, then yes. The only thing is, I do not know ASL or anything like that, so I would have to be assured that I would have good communication so I could stay well-informed and be able to have a productive question-and-answer session. As long as there's some way for that to happen, then I'd consider this person.

maybe deaf professional would be nice to have made an appt and urgentcare quick, happened to me making an appt they told me have to call me back if an interpreter's available or reschedule an another appt, i dislike to depend on an interpreter time n day, also urgent care i been waiting for 2 hrs, finally, an interpreter showed up :mad:

Doesn't matter to me hearing or deaf professionals, As long communication barrier are understood, rather with deaf who knows very good asl or speak reading, or hearings with interpreters. ;)

deaf dentist etc

i know a deaf person that grew up in KY works with dentist or he is dentist himself in Dayton, OH

Yes, I would go to a Deaf doctor. I remember there was a Deaf doctor in Boston, Mass. Which hospital ? I am not sure.

Back