Worried for my future..

No way you can be a nurse with poor math and science skills....even more so true for nurses that work in the ER, pediatric nurses, RNs or LPNs....everything in this job is math and science. I would wonder where your friend works and what the exact nature of her job is. Frankly, you could easily kill a person in this field with one small mathematical error....my mother worked as an RN for many years along with my aunts who were also nurses. You need to be at the top of your game….it's even harder for those working in veterinary science. Very demanding....

I wanted to follow my mother in this field but didn't have a snowball's chance in Hell and my hearing loss had absolutely nothing to do with it.....

In California, you only need to get through college algebra to become a nurse, which doesn't require anyone to be a math wiz. Many high schoolers graduate w higher math skillsand level than that. However, it requires a high level of Science and biology, as well as anatomy classes. The Op should go to her local JC college and find out what her state requires.

You probably would work out fine as long as you use visual aids (and work for doctors with decent bedside manners.....)

Probably? That doesn't really inspire confidence. If you really are thinking about being a nurse at least ask doctors and nurses and hospital staff.

Hospitals get hit with malpractice suits and I'm just concerned that having a deaf nurse is a perfect target for lawyers.

Hello, I'm new to this place. My name is Kiana im Hoh. when i was born my left ear had mild heariing loss and my right ear was kinda ok. Now im almost 17, and my left has severe hearing loss and and my right has mild. Well, i'm getting a bit worried because i'm afraid i wont be able to find a job ill enjoy because the two jobs i want you need to be able to hear. I want to become a light and sound technician for movies/ plays/ and TV shows, OR a prision guard. Well im in Technical theater at my highschool ( i go to a public highsschool not the deaf one.) and i already have trouble understanding them from far away. i get mixed up on what numbers they say or i cant hear them period. then they get annoyed. but i love doing this, its one of my passions. it's easier for me to understand people when there facing me but i cant read lips. what do you guys do a jobs? did you guys worry about this when you were younger or is it just me? do you guys enjoy your job? what can i do or learn to help me out understanding them? my hearing aids do no help for me.
Thank you!

Maybe you can think about what it is you like about those jobs, and see if you can find these things in other jobs that don't require as much hearing?

Yes follow your heart forget about what ,World saids u can't and can do.your passions will carry you through any trial..

thought about nursing or working in health care get uni degree or deploma

In California, you only need to get through college algebra to become a nurse, which doesn't require anyone to be a math wiz. Many high schoolers graduate w higher math skillsand level than that. However, it requires a high level of Science and biology, as well as anatomy classes. The Op should go to her local JC college and find out what her state requires.
There are lots of nurses out there that got through it all not because they were so good at math and science - they worked really hard at getting through it. Sometimes taking those classes more than once and doing everything possible to get it done. I admire all the hardworking nurses out there and thank them as a group for having saved my life more than once and doing what they do every day.

In America, you can be a deaf support firefighter, you can drive an airplane, you can be a doctor, teacher, driver, you can be a hero. Bottom line is deaf people can do anything except hear.

There is no need to worry about.

No, im not that great with numbers so thats out. i want a job were its something different everyday and something ill enjoy for the reast of my life but it seems being hard of hearing/deaf very much limits your choices.
Nope. You can do anything except hear.

no offense - but at 17 years old, you are very young. things will change for you every 6 months in what you want. I'd suggest start with either a local college or go to RIT/NTID- gally. When attending colleges, your career choices/feeling will start to define you as you go along , mature.

Thanks, to all the replies. i am going to go to community college, then to university. i should be graduating the next school year, during the first semester. I have heard of there being officers being Hoh, so idk might have a chance at that just got to wear my hearing aid 24/7 even if they dont help much. my first job choice is to be the light/sound technician. so im still going to try to go for that one but have a plan B if that dosnt work out.

....might have a chance at that just got to wear my hearing aid 24/7 even if they dont help much. my first job choice is to be the light/sound technician. so im still going to try to go for that one but have a plan B if that dosnt work out.

Try not to plan too much, just go with the flow. You might end up working in a fast food place temporarily, then someone notices you fixing the freezer, and asks you to fix other stuff, then you eventually end up being an appliance technician making $30 per hour, and so on.....

Try not to plan too much, just go with the flow. You might end up working in a fast food place temporarily, then someone notices you fixing the freezer, and asks you to fix other stuff, then you eventually end up being an appliance technician making $30 per hour, and so on.....

Yup i know, but dosnt hurt to have some plans to start off with then just go with the flow like you said from there :) :D

I did theatre in high school and college and yeah, you're going to have trouble doing sound. However, you should be fine with lighting design. You don't need to hear well to draw a lighting plot, hang and focus lights, choose just the right gels and gobos, or decide when during a scene different effects should change or happen. All of the things that get prepped or decided before the curtain goes up should be fine. You MAY have trouble with running the boards during the show if you can't hear the cues...maybe some sort of video set up so you can see the stage manager or neckloop instead of the standard headset might make it work... I don't know. I was a props mistress and only sometimes needed a headset which I could do because my loss was a mild cookie bite back then and I had ITC aids. You might want to look at doing sets, props, paint or costumes as possible alternatives, they're still theatre but tend to have less emphasis on lightening fast cues heard over headsets in the dark.

Back