what type network you prefer at home?

• wireless! I belong in future!

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • wired! I'm still caveman. argh!

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • I don't have router. tee-hee.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I fished the Ethernet cable though inside the walls, so it will remain invisible just the same way as electrical wiring. I am certified Electrician, and it helps me alot with my experience.

Why can't you enable on WPA or WPA2? If someone looks ALOT of wired over wall and ceiling then would looks ugly, also if you buy computer for your son with parental control and how can make it.

Videophone! Videophone can not connect to wireless, remember? And no, it won't decrease value because some people like this way and it does increase value.
And soon or later, more people will run into problems with wireless because wireless has its limitation, and if you happen to live in dense population like apartment complex, you will be surprise how much problems will be causing by neighborhoods. Already happened to one of my friend. He is pizzed off!

Why can't you enable on WPA or WPA2? If someone looks ALOT of wired over wall and ceiling then would looks ugly, also if you buy computer for your son with parental control and how can make it.

Videophone! Videophone can not connect to wireless, remember? And no, it won't decrease value because some people like this way and it does increase value.
And soon or later, more people will run into problems with wireless because wireless has its limitation, and if you happen to live in dense population like apartment complex, you will be surprise how much problems will be causing by neighborhoods. Already happened to one of my friend. He is pizzed off!

If Videophone don't have wireless built-in then just get bridge and hook in ethernet.

It's up to you, that your choice.

It would offers free WiFi over metro in after 2010.

That won't work, reason? All wireless has "Beacon" signal, it works same way as light house but flashes at much faster rate, however STILL not fast enough for Videophone. You will probably miss some calls, and when the Videophone scream for server during between beacon signals, VP will automatically "Thinks" there is network issues and shut itself down. That is why it is NOT effective method.

WiFi is not supported by VP, FYI

If Videophone don't have wireless built-in then just get bridge and hook in ethernet.

It's up to you, that your choice.

It would offers free WiFi over metro in after 2010.

I'm able to use laptop as videophone via wireless on G or B which between 562kbps to 2.5Mbps while required only between 100kbps to 512kbps.

I hardly see any problem with wireless on videophone. 802.11 have keep improve and drop B into between G and N.

Webcam and VP works different ways Do you have somebody call you on your webcam? Not likely, even worse giving hearing people ip address to call though VRS to call you, eh eh eh.

Sure, I have done webcam VRS call and other friends who have VP as well though wireless. BUT VP-100/200, Dlink I-2eye? No, it won't work well.

I'm able to use laptop as videophone via wireless on G or B which between 562kbps to 2.5Mbps while required only between 100kbps to 512kbps.

I hardly see any problem with wireless on videophone. 802.11 have keep improve and drop B into between G and N.

...It would offers free WiFi over metro in after 2010.
Downtown Charleston is already WiFi. I know someone who lives in a downstairs apt. in Charleston. Her WiFi internet connection is fine during the winter. She told me that during the summer the shade trees block her signal, so she can't use it at home.

I fished the Ethernet cable though inside the walls, so it will remain invisible just the same way as electrical wiring. I am certified Electrician, and it helps me alot with my experience. I try to avoid punch holes by using attic, basement. I got good 3-D memory, and was able to figure out around. Sometimes I had to break hole, and I can patch the holes. I did few in garage, it does not matter so I just put in wood square to cover it.

The maximum length without booster or switch in place is 300 meters. That is much more than needed before the signal gets weaken.
:ty:

How much does the cable cost? Do you recommend a certain brand?

I'll have to ask Hubby about snaking the wire thru. He did a short version for installing our flush wall-mounted stereo speakers. But that was just up the wall of one room. Going from one floor to another, thru several rooms is something else. I guess it will have to go in the space between the downstairs ceiling and the upstairs floor.

That won't work, reason? All wireless has "Beacon" signal, it works same way as light house but flashes at much faster rate, however STILL not fast enough for Videophone. You will probably miss some calls, and when the Videophone scream for server during between beacon signals, VP will automatically "Thinks" there is network issues and shut itself down. That is why it is NOT effective method.

WiFi is not supported by VP, FYI

I'm not talk about VP from Sorenson, they aren't friendly with WiFi.

I'm talk about other brand of VP that support WiFi, of course.

There's nothing to be wrong with wireless, you need open the port, put in DMZ or other feature to keep so well.

I got 500 feet of Ethernet cable (CAT 5e) twice from home depot cost around 65 dollars, you could opt for 100 foot of CAT 5e and they cost around 25 dollars at home depot, so whichever suits you. And for job like this, make sure it is solid not stranded. And if you want to run outside, make sure get one that designed and suited for short run outside, and it cost lil more.

:ty:

How much does the cable cost? Do you recommend a certain brand?

I'll have to ask Hubby about snaking the wire thru. He did a short version for installing our flush wall-mounted stereo speakers. But that was just up the wall of one room. Going from one floor to another, thru several rooms is something else. I guess it will have to go in the space between the downstairs ceiling and the upstairs floor.

Downtown Charleston is already WiFi. I know someone who lives in a downstairs apt. in Charleston. Her WiFi internet connection is fine during the winter. She told me that during the summer the shade trees block her signal, so she can't use it at home.

Oh really, I means over metro like from LA to NYC, from Miami to Seattle.

I hope that future WiFi would improve in near future.

Webcam and VP works different ways Do you have somebody call you on your webcam? Not likely, even worse giving hearing people ip address to call though VRS to call you, eh eh eh.

Sure, I have done webcam VRS call and other friends who have VP as well though wireless. BUT VP-100/200, Dlink I-2eye? No, it won't work well.

Without doubt, VP-300 would have wireless built-in, when Sorenson offers that.

Oh really, I means over metro like from LA to NYC, from Miami to Seattle.

I hope that future WiFi would improve in near future.

Ha, ha, our "metro" is only one mile square! :lol:

I got 500 feet of Ethernet cable (CAT 5e) twice from home depot cost around 65 dollars, you could opt for 100 foot of CAT 5e and they cost around 25 dollars at home depot, so whichever suits you. And for job like this, make sure it is solid not stranded. And if you want to run outside, make sure get one that designed and suited for short run outside, and it cost lil more.
Hubby has run TV cable thru our house for more outlets, so maybe he can do this.

I told him what you said, and he says that's not a bad price, and maybe he can do it.

Poor Hubby! One more item on the "Honey Do" list. :lol:

Yes the cable is not that bad, but when it comes to adapter, it is not cheap, I paid 30 dollars for 10 ports adapter, you need two adapters (one for each ends) and you can not splice it into 2 or more ports as it won't work. plus a wall plate to take ports, you can use same plate for cable, audio ports, telephone, and Ethernet port as well.
I find that Home Depot is the cheapest one, Radio shack and CompUSA is most pricey. Lowes is ok, I don't like their products.

Hubby has run TV cable thru our house for more outlets, so maybe he can do this.

I told him what you said, and he says that's not a bad price, and maybe he can do it.

Poor Hubby! One more item on the "Honey Do" list. :lol:

Yes the cable is not that bad, but when it comes to adapter, it is not cheap, I paid 30 dollars for 10 ports adapter, you need two adapters (one for each ends) and you can not splice it into 2 or more ports as it won't work. plus a wall plate to take ports, you can use same plate for cable, audio ports, telephone, and Ethernet port as well.
I find that Home Depot is the cheapest one, Radio shack and CompUSA is most pricey. Lowes is ok, I don't like their products.
What for is the adapter? Is that something you attach to the router? Is it necessary?

What for is the adapter? Is that something you attach to the router? Is it necessary?

adapter looks like port where you would plug in patch cables. Let me try to find it and get link 4 u

102-5G108-RW5.jpg

I live near West Palm Beach, Florida --- they has City WiFi in Downtown of West Palm Beach, FL

website is City WiFi - City of West Palm Beach

I have Comcast -RCA cable modem with Sorenson SR200 wired router and Linksys WRT300N 802.11 B,G,N I have S-VP200 VP and OJO videophone and 3 desktop and a laptop. I have 2 CRT NTSC color TV , 1 for LCD TV and 1 for 48 inch Samsung HDTV 720p/1080i and Comcast Scifientic Atlanta 8300HD HDTV & Digital Cable converter and OTA (over the air) antenna Radio Shack remote control amplifier HDTV antenna.

Back