Winter Makes Surprise Return to Midwest, East

Cheri

Prayers for my dad.
Premium Member
Reaction score
COLUMBUS, Ohio (April 24) - A rare late spring snowstorm dumped up to a foot of snow on parts of the Midwest Sunday, knocking out power to thousands of customers and postponing a Major League Baseball game for the second day in a row.

Slippery pavement caused spinouts but no injuries were reported, officials said.

The two-day storm brought temperatures 25 degrees below the normal of around 60 as snow fell across parts of Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Tennessee and North Carolina.

''My wife is livid because this was a long winter. ... Even people who normally don't complain about it are at the end of their wits,'' said Frank Hanley, who said he had a foot of heavy, wet snow on his deck in the northeastern Ohio town of Chardon.

Total accumulations of up to 18 inches were possible in parts of eastern Michigan, while Detroit's northern suburbs were expected to receive 5 to 11 inches, meteorologists said. In Ohio, suburbs east of Cleveland were to get about 8 inches.

By midday Sunday, about 5 inches of snow had fallen on Grandfather Mountain in western North Carolina and accumulations reached half a foot near the northern Tennessee line, the National Weather Service reported.

The low on Grandfather Mountain dropped to 16 degrees overnight and winds reached 139 mph, meteorologists said.

The storm was expected to taper off late Sunday, and temperatures in the region were expected climb to about 50 degrees on Monday.

The Detroit Tigers postponed a home game against the Minnesota Twins for the second straight day. A makeup date for Sunday's game was not immediately announced. The teams were scheduled to make up the first game Monday afternoon.

Misti Hunt, a bartender in Bad Axe, Mich., said business was slow Sunday evening as the snow made the roads treacherous and some even totally impassable.

''A week ago we were wearing shorts and tank tops,'' she said.

The wet, heavy snow snapped tree branches and power lines and about 18,000 FirstEnergy customers in the Cleveland area lost power Sunday. Some might not have their electricity restored until Monday, said Mark Durbin, a spokesman for the utility.

''The snow is clinging to the buds on those trees and it's really pulling stuff down'' onto the power lines, Durbin said.

Kathy Carney, a waitress at the Maple Leaf Restaurant in Chardon, said it was busier than usual at breakfast Sunday.

''It's extra busy because people don't have power. It's like a blizzard out there. It's snowing like crazy,'' she said.

Spring began on March 20. AOL News:http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20050423170809990003&ncid=NWS00010000000001

We started having snow on Saturday all through Sunday, Suppose to snow again Monday.. Ugh! :(

Can I move in with you Liebling?... :fingersx:

I'm not surprised. I remember my second year at RIT. We had a lot of snow during the winter. By March, the snow melted away. Suddenly, one Saturday morning in the middle of April... a snow storm came. We had non-stop snow for the whole weekend. It was cold for a week, then it got warm again for the rest of the year. Heh!

It was pretty strange here over the past few days. Last week, it was so warm I was wearing shorts. Yesterday, it was kind of chilly but sunny where I live. A friend and I hopped in the car to kill the day. We drove out to Dover Downs for a couple of hours. On the way there, it would be sunny and windy....then rain...then back to sunny and warm...then back to cold and rain. After Dover, we drove down to Rehoboth Beach for lunch. While there, it suddenly got cold and started hailing while we were on the boardwalk.

VamPyroX said:
I'm not surprised. I remember my second year at RIT. We had a lot of snow during the winter. By March, the snow melted away. Suddenly, one Saturday morning in the middle of April... a snow storm came. We had non-stop snow for the whole weekend. It was cold for a week, then it got warm again for the rest of the year. Heh!

yea i remember that! sheesh!!! typical of rochyshit! :lol:

Yikes! Am surprised that we didn't get pounded with snow here in Boston. The weather has been a yo-yo lately. One day last week it was 85 degrees and now it's 55 degrees. :wtf:

Strange really.

We are lucky to have indian summer here in Australia.
We still wearing summer clothes, autumn is with us since March.

Katzie said:
Yikes! Am surprised that we didn't get pounded with snow here in Boston. The weather has been a yo-yo lately. One day last week it was 85 degrees and now it's 55 degrees. :wtf:

yea... THANK GOD!!! i have had enough of the snow! i am sure you did too!!! :P :D MWAHHH!!!

Detriot get snow too, 6 inches... MN is part of midwest so lucky they missed us.... we are still in spring, and it will be raining most of this week..... I am sick of snow, winter is all done.. bye-bye winter.. soon will be May... When I went to Breezy Points, MN for weekend, there was some ice still on lake... I also hate winter leftovers..

Tousi said:
Have they found Columbus yet? LOL!

biglaugha.gif
biglaugha.gif
biglaugha.gif
Shhhh Don't tell anyone where Columbus is.
shhh.gif

No snow here thank goodness...But the temp did drop pretty low. I've stayed snuggled under the electric blanket all weekend :cold:

mlkshkgrl said:
No snow here thank goodness...But the temp did drop pretty low. I've stayed snuggled under the electric blanket all weekend :cold:

Consider yourself lucky. Want some of my snow?, We have plenty just for you. :giggle:

^Angel^ said:
Can I move in with you Liebling?... :fingersx:

Uh oh :nono: You move in with ME down south. :hug: Hope weather will stay warm from now on for you in Ohio. big hugs!

Cheri and y'll can blame it on me and Oakley cuz we had alot of heavy rain lately and some hails... now it's sent to Cheri... :giggle: sowwy Cheri!

Back