Windows XP allowed to live again

Now, I hate Vista so much due issue with network, after shut down or wake up then internet went into "local only" with "Internet Connection 2" instead of "Internet Connection", I had reset my router to work so again but happen again in random time after sleep or boot up from shut down but on my PC with XP, there's absolutely no problem at all.

I had disabled on IPv6 but it won't work.

I found good info about modify on regedit to change the value, only for Vista.
Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers

Secretblend, do you have same problem like that?

I can reformat and install XP on my new laptop but only one problem is no SATA support included, it has go to BIOS and change the SATA to compatible, it would render transfer rate as IDE, unless I get driver to support full SATA.

IDE is no good for recent games, very slow transfer.

Now, I hate Vista so much due issue with network, after shut down or wake up then internet went into "local only" with "Internet Connection 2" instead of "Internet Connection", I had reset my router to work so again but happen again in random time after sleep or boot up from shut down but on my PC with XP, there's absolutely no problem at all.

I had disabled on IPv6 but it won't work.

I found good info about modify on regedit to change the value, only for Vista.
Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers

Secretblend, do you have same problem like that?

No, I have no problems with my internet connection at all.

I might plan to purchase HP notebook which have 250GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive and Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit) but minus Vista. Updated Windows XP pro or Windows 7 beta compatible? Did you install Windows 7 beta into your Vista version Desktop or notebook computer?

No, I have no problems with my internet connection at all.

Are you using WiFi or wired to router or modem?

I just solved the problem after modify in regedit to disable BROADCAST flag and it worked so fine, I know that all old DSL modem and router don't support BROADCAST flag that could interfere with Vista network.

You will find an issue like that when you go to coffee shop, mall or anywhere with WiFi.

Are you using WiFi or wired to router or modem?

I just solved the problem after modify in regedit to disable BROADCAST flag and it worked so fine, I know that all old DSL modem and router don't support BROADCAST flag that could interfere with Vista network.

You will find an issue like that when you go to coffee shop, mall or anywhere with WiFi.

Wired to router.

Wired to router.

It seems like your router support broadcast flag but for my router, it's probably support broadcast flag if DHCP is enabled, however I have DSL modem and disabled DHCP on router due DSL modem has DHCP feature built-in but doesn't support broadcast flag, that what I found out.

Why does you cannot stand in XP?

I have received same issue again after fixed the network issue, I already lost my tolerance on Vista and will reformat into XP.

Fuck to Vista

I'm just ordered XP OEM CD for my laptop and wait for delivery.

Good bye to infamous instability OS with network issue.

I'm seriously expect that Windows 7 should be fix the network issues.

I'm just ordered XP OEM CD for my laptop and wait for delivery.

Good bye to infamous instability OS with network issue.

I'm seriously expect that Windows 7 should be fix the network issues.

how much did you buy it for?

I consider about dual boot Vista and XP Pro. I will get new HP pavillion notebook which includes Intel Core 2 and 320 GB hard drive soon. Can dual-boot vista and XP PRO into my notebook?

I consider about dual boot Vista and XP Pro. I will get new HP pavillion notebook which includes Intel Core 2 and 320 GB hard drive soon. Can dual-boot vista and XP PRO into my notebook?

You need create two partitions on the hard drive first then full install XP on C:\ then full install (not upgrade) Vista on D:\ (2nd parations)

That's it.

Yup, very easy, depends on PC, if PC is 8 years ago and would take about hour to install XP.

You have reformat the HDD first before install XP, just use quick format.

Xactly right!!

I've tried installing Windows XP on old Packard Bell F-170 200mhz with 128mb EDO ram 5 years ago. It did installs but took 1 hr 20 min. It ran slow going around desktop hee hee. Interesting. Not worth it.

Catty

Xactly right!!

I've tried installing Windows XP on old Packard Bell F-170 200mhz with 128mb EDO ram 5 years ago. It did installs but took 1 hr 20 min. It ran slow going around desktop hee hee. Interesting. Not worth it.

Catty

You should not install without check system requirements. Windows XP's recommended is 300mhz or high and 128mb ram or up. Hmm You can overclock from 200mhz to 300mhz then you are do fine.

Use Linux!

Can I reformat Windows XP professioal CD-ROM to blank CD-R? Illegal copy? :shrug:

It's legal to make back-up as long as you own the original one. If not then yes, it's illegal.

Thank you. I have Micro Center gift card at $100 from my brother and can purchase new Windows XP Professional with SP3.

im been using windows xp for 3 years since i got laptop of gateway but its really slow!!!!

You should not install without check system requirements. Windows XP's recommended is 300mhz or high and 128mb ram or up. Hmm You can overclock from 200mhz to 300mhz then you are do fine.

Use Linux!

It was for fun of it :giggle: I just want to know how it can handle with XP. Actually there are some hack to allow you to run XP on 75mhz system!! It's soo painfully slow!! :giggle: I didn't try these but I can change PB's CPU clock jumper to make it run at 75mhz at lowest.

I already installed Puppy Linux in Pacard Bell. Sure enuf it can run but slow getting around (it's better and faster than XP) cuz of weenie 4mb SIS S3 Virige graphic chipset and slow old 1.3gb hdd. (I have 2nd PB system, my original PB F170 with type 640 mobo was shot)

Overclocking, I already maxed out and it's at 3.0x CPU clock jumper setting top. There used to be called Powerleap adapter that sell modified Socket 7 adapter w/ AMD processor to allow you to run 300mhz up to 500mhz processor on Socket 7. It cost over $100 up to $200 for that. But there's limitation to that, it's just BIOS issue unless some mobo can accept modified BIOS like Mr. BIOS to allow faster processor with adapter. Ain't worth it for old crap heap. :giggle:

Here's the old website surprisingly still there ---> PowerLeap Adapter Review - Part 2 As you scroll down a bit and see "Packard Bell upgrades" and see on list "PB 640" which is my former Mobo and it listed few "B" means BIOS upgrade. I already had Mr. BIOS from one of stranger via email but by that time, I already had AMD XP system built and was in use. It was 5 years too late that time. Flash it to Mr. BIOS made my PB system boot up damn fast to Win ME desktop in 15 seconds flat!! but it has issue with parallel port and pci slot that became disabled and non-fixable unless you reflash it back to original PB BIOS.

Or buy a newer LPX mobo (replacement of matching old LPX mobo) for old Packard Bell that have 1.6 Ghz AMD XP processor for $600 :eek2: They no longer market those.

Catty

Last edited:
Back