Will Spanish overtake English in America?

me no hablas espanol. yo quiero queso. como estas?

Right, only states can declare English as official language, not all states are declare it like that.

so can federal government but it will be hard.

so can federal government but it will be hard.

Yup if passed by congress, I will support this case.

I think it should be exempt for Indian Reservation, they can still learn how to speak english for more benefits.

You're thinking of Spanish Empire that stole the lands from the indigenous people, right, not French? The Mexican conservatives, aka Spaniard-born Americans, ASKED Napoleon the Third to "save" the Mexican Empire from the liberals because they wanted a royalist figurehead.

Right, I was trying to summarize the history of Mexican Indians from the Spanish conquest of the Aztec Empire with the help of Aztec's enemies to built churches and residences over pyramids/palaces to the days of the Benito Juárez, but I don't think anyone has an interest in that history. The Mexican Conservatives were so desperate and broke. They were running out of options because of Juárez. Look what happened to Maximillian. He did not save it. The US government made right decision by choosing Juarez's side.

Palacio de Cortez (it used to be Tlahuica palace) was several miles away from where I lived in Cuernavaca. Tlahuica was one of the Aztec Indians where Cortez conquered and invaded the indigeinous city of Cuauhnahua. The Spaniards had difficulty trying to pronounce it, so they changed the name to Cuernavaca. Cortez established and encomidena, built his own palace over Tlahuica palace.. Tlahuica language is spoken by a few people now.

Right, I was trying to summarize the history of Mexican Indians from the Spanish conquest of the Aztec Empire with the help of Aztec's enemies to built churches and residences over pyramids/palaces to the days of the Benito Juárez, but I don't think anyone has an interest in that history. The Mexican Conservatives were so desperate and broke. They were running out of options because of Juárez. Look what happened to Maximillian. He did not save it. The US government made right decision by choosing Juarez's side.

Palacio de Cortez (it used to be Tlahuica palace) was several miles away from where I lived in Cuernavaca. Tlahuica was one of the Aztec Indians where Cortez conquered and invaded the indigeinous city of Cuauhnahua. The Spaniards had difficulty trying to pronounce it, so they changed the name to Cuernavaca. Cortez established and encomidena, built his own palace over Tlahuica palace.. Tlahuica language is spoken by a few people now.

:lol:

Just making sure you're not blaming the wrong people.

Education program in Spanish sparks complaint!

ARVIN, Calif. -- A frustrated family said they were shocked when a parent orientation at the high school was conducted in Spanish and only translated into English.

The meeting was held by the nonprofit Parent Institute for Quality Education, and a local spokesman says the group's language policy will change.

The orientation for the the parent institute was held Aug. 18 at Arvin High School, and Ronda Amick said she had been contacted about it several times by phone. The messages were in English, she was surprised by what happened when the family got to the orientation

"Just before the meeting started, they said all the English-speaking parents move to the side of the room," Amick said.

She said a spokeswoman running the meeting told those parents the meeting would be translated for them.

Amick is raising her granddaughter, and her son was also at the family orientation.

"He said, 'You've got to be kidding.' And she said, 'We're going to go with the majority of the people.' But he said, 'We speak English here,'" Amick said, noting the spokeswoman apologized about the meeting being translated for them.

Amick sat through the presentation and heard the English translation, but she's not convinced all the information was related in English.

The Parent Institute for Quality Education was founded in 1987, and they provide workshops to teach parents how to help students succeed in high school and get into college.

The family orientation is followed by a series of six weekly workshops, a parents' meeting with school administrators and a "graduation" for parents. At the Arvin orientation, Amick was told the subsequent workshops could also be held in English if at least 10 parents signed up.

Amick did sign up but then had a change of heart.

"We couldn't go, because in California, it's English," she said.

The institute's executive director in Kern County is Juan Avila, and he says he understands her position.

"I agree with her," Avila said. "The English language is the official language of the state of California."

In 1986, California voters did pass an amendment to the state constitution regarding an official language. Article 3, Section 6 reads: "English is the common language of the people of the United States of America and the state of California. This section is intended to preserve, protect and strengthen the English language and not to supersede any of the rights guaranteed to the people by this constitution. English as the official language of California. English is the official language of the State of California."

At the Arvin orientation, Avila said the institute expected more Spanish-speaking parents, because that's what they usually see. As it turned out there were 125 Spanish-speaking parents and 14 English speakers, according to Avila.

So, the group came to the session ready to make the presentation in Spanish.

"We weren't prepared to see that many English-speaking parents, so we went with the intention it was probably going to be a majority Spanish-speaking group," Avila said.

Avila said they will now make sure the orientation can be done in English, even if only one English speaker shows up.

"From now on, (we'll) take somebody and give the presentation in English to that one parent," he said.

The classes are free to parents, and the organization gets funding from the school districts, grants and donations.

At Arvin, the series of workshops are now also being done in English because 10 parents did ask for that.

It's too late for Amick to go to the series of workshops, but she's glad to hear the group will change their policy in the future.

"It's the right thing to do," Amick said.

Avila said the parent institute may appear to be a "Latino-focused organization," but he hopes that perception changes, too.

"It just so happens that we have a high percentage of Spanish-speaking parents taking our workshops, so it looks that way," Avila said. "But, we are pushing, we want more English-speaking parents to participate."

The part about killing Indians off with smallpox blanket I didnt know. How horrible.

You are right, America was stolen from the Native Americans. Otherwise, why would they be called "Native" Americans? :hmm:

They took blankets from people who had died of the Smallpox and didn't burn or destroy the blankets, instead they decided it was a bright idea to "donate" them to the Native Americans so that they could expose our Native American ancestors to Smallpox and kill us all off that way. Luckily, some of us survived. But a large number of Native Americans died.

The part about killing Indians off with smallpox blanket I didnt know. How horrible.

You are right, America was stolen from the Native Americans. Otherwise, why would they be called "Native" Americans? :hmm:

There is only one Earth. We all share it. I don't think the Native Americans can not stop the population of people from migrating to their land.

No reasons for killing the native Americans though. Horrible. They could have handle it better.

Last edited:
They took blankets from people who had died of the Smallpox and didn't burn or destroy the blankets, instead they decided it was a bright idea to "donate" them to the Native Americans so that they could expose our Native American ancestors to Smallpox and kill us all off that way. Luckily, some of us survived. But a large number of Native Americans died.

I wonder how long smallpox live on blankets only? And I once read that people in those days did not really know how smallpox are spread other than human contact. But I could be wrong. I just know that alot people didn't wash their hands and such in those days either.

Will it overtake us? That's hard to say.

Right now, we've got a lot of races mixing up. So, are they truly Hispanics or are they mixed?

yes, It will happen 10 to 20 years from now. Spanish will overtake California and Texas for sure! also it will complete in 15 to 20 years. Good bye to English in America?

Oh please, most Europe and other country learned how to speak English.

America still use English for over 200 years.

There is only one Earth. We all share it. I don't think the Native Americans can not stop the population of people from migrating to their land.

No reasons for killing the native Americans though. Horrible. They could have handle it better.

We were more than happy to share our land. But we were taken advantage of, pushed off of our own land, and forced to live on reservations, forced to learn English, have our children taken away from us and sent to boarding schools, forced us to assimilate to white culture, and there were attempts at genocide, etc, etc, instead of just leaving us be and letting us be ourselves.

We were more than happy to share our land. But we were taken advantage of, pushed off of our own land, and forced to live on reservations, forced to learn English, have our children taken away from us and sent to boarding schools, forced us to assimilate to white culture, and there were attempts at genocide, etc, etc, instead of just leaving us be and letting us be ourselves.

The same thing happened in Australia and many other countries as well. :-/

Back