Why do people call America FREE when it's not?

...She talked about the law but I talk about the owners who own the business, or companies who tried to make profit themselves with client or customer´s money. We talked different... I laughed and said that she is naive to beleive that EVERY lawyer, doctors, business owners or else are honest with money and stick the law and fact...
Excuse me. I didn't say that all business owners, doctors, and lawyers are honest and stick to the law. I never said that. I said that if they try to charge Deaf clients for interpreting services and pad their invoice with that expense, then they are breaking the law.

Before you start laughing, you better read my posts more carefully.

Every business and companies owners including doctors and lawyers can do what they want with price offer before send their bill to clients and customers... It´s up to you to take their offer or look for other better price offer...
Shopping around for bargains is one thing. Getting charged illegally for services is a totally different situation. No one should put up with that. The scofflaws should be reported.

America has regulations about professional services. Some professions have additional regulations that limit their charges.

Doctors who receive Medicare and Medicaid payments have additional rules they must follow regarding their billing. They can't just willy-nilly add on charges and fees.

Colleges that accept Federal funds (such as VA, Pell grants, etc.) are also under additional regulation, and therefor must provide interpreters at no cost to the student.

Why does you called her an naive?

She's citizen of US, born in USA before I was born, that far to hit late 80's and she's interpreter, she maybe know about law.
Thanks. :)

(Let's not go too far with the age thing though :lol:)

p.s. about interpreters in medical settings.

Interpreters must be provided for other Deaf family members, not just the patient. For example, if the patient is hearing but the parents or spouse is Deaf, the hospital must provide an interpreter.

I understand what you mean.

Example about my son's confirmation last April 2007. The hearing priest of village where we live, apply Priest for the deaf then they apply Interpreter at Agency of Interpret Central for us at my son's Confirmation. The priest for the deaf only attend my funerals, Christening and weddings as interpreter...
Do you mean the priest acts as interpreter? That seems like a conflict of roles. Well, if you're satisfied with that, it's your business.

We don't need interpreter because the priest sign good as interpreter... If the some priest for the deaf have no time then apply agency of interpret central for me... The priest are there for us when we need them for funeral etc but for my son's confirmation is different issue because he involve with other hearing confirmers...Interpreter came...We do not need interpreter to communicate with hearing people because we are not children... We can deal with them without Interpreter ourselves... It's not our problem if hearing people can't communicate with us.
That's your attitude, and you're entitled to it. But that isn't everyone's attitude. Most Deaf people that I know want to be able to communicate with hearing friends and family members at important religious occasions.

We only need interpreter to deal with people over important issues.
I would say that funerals are very important issues.

Hearing people have to learn to communicate with us... We really have no problem...
Lucky you.

We only need interpreter for my children's confirmation, wedding, christening, etc.
You don't use interpreters for funerals?

p.s. about interpreters in medical settings.

Interpreters must be provided for other Deaf family members, not just the patient. For example, if the patient is hearing but the parents or spouse is Deaf, the hospital must provide an interpreter.

Wow, Reba...this one I didn't know....

It depends on the relationship and situation but here are some examples:

Hearing minor child, Deaf parent. The Deaf parent needs to communicate with the medical staff for the care of the child.

Hearing wife, Deaf husband. Deaf husband needs to communicate with hospital staff about insurance or wife's after care at home.

Hearing patient who can't communicate due to coma, stroke, Alzheimers, etc., and has a Deaf family member or legal guardian who is Deaf. That guardian is responsible for the patient's care, and for signing medical consent forms. The Deaf guardian needs an interpreter.

If a Deaf family member or friend just wants to visit a hearing in-patient, then an interpreter might not be legally required. However, it is still possible to get one paid for by the hospital if the hospital social worker deems it necessary for the well-being of the patient.

Hospice also provides interpreters for family members.

It depends on the relationship and situation but here are some examples:

Hearing minor child, Deaf parent. The Deaf parent needs to communicate with the medical staff for the care of the child.

Hearing wife, Deaf husband. Deaf husband needs to communicate with hospital staff about insurance or wife's after care at home.

Hearing patient who can't communicate due to coma, stroke, Alzheimers, etc., and has a Deaf family member or legal guardian who is Deaf. That guardian is responsible for the patient's care, and for signing medical consent forms. The Deaf guardian needs an interpreter.

If a Deaf family member or friend just wants to visit a hearing in-patient, then an interpreter might not be legally required. However, it is still possible to get one paid for by the hospital if the hospital social worker deems it necessary for the well-being of the patient.

Hospice also provides interpreters for family members.

The legislative INTENT is honorable; makes me wonder how it jives with reality....

Yep, I knew that. They provide me interpreters for my children's parents/teachers conferences. If I need one for their doctors appointment I would get one, and can get one.

Yep, I knew that. They provide me interpreters for my children's parents/teachers conferences. If I need one for their doctors appointment I would get one, and can get one.

Yep same here....

The legislative INTENT is honorable; makes me wonder how it jives with reality....
I've personally experienced each one of those examples. Interpreters were provided and paid for by the hospital.

It's bit common as hearing had to buy something.
For example, we buy flashing lightning as hearing buy accessoires for music player. We buy clock with some extra cost than hearing get.

It´s good to know that you made postive post here but I would like to say that flashing lighting, baby cries, clock alarm, etc belongs necassary and emergency which the deafies need for everyday which music player doesn´t? Music player belong luxury like computers, etc. There´re huge difference between emergency/necassary and luxury.

Baby cries is common as parents buy for baby cries monitor.

Sure, but baby cries for the deafies are expensive than baby cries for hearing mothers.

i have been pay attention on England's tv show that support subtitle unlike CC and it doesn't design for deaf but English learning. It's dubbing as it speak what it saying not include the sound effect such as crying. Have you read what Banjo's blog about CC, subtitle and SDH?

wow, interesting... I´m interesting to know about this... Could you please provide me the link of Banjo´s blog here which easy for me to find and read?

Really? How often do you deal with American doctors and lawyers? How often are you involved with billing American doctors and lawyers? How often do you interpret for American doctors and lawyers? I'm sure it's no where near my experiences.

I'm not an expert on German laws and practices, so I don't mouth off about them. I ask questions about them but I don't pretend to be an expert about them.

It might behoove you to do the same about American laws and practices.

Excuse me, I work together with Americans for a long time to know what is about. I also met American deafies in real life as well...

Excuse me, I work together with Americans for a long time to know what is about. I also met American deafies in real life as well...
Do you work with American interpreters under American laws? I don't think so. What experiences do you personally have using the ADA? When was the last time you used an American doctor or lawyer in America?

So you met American Deafies? So what? What does that prove about American laws? I used to own a German car and I took German language in high school but that doesn't make me an expert on German laws. :roll:

Excuse me. I didn't say that all business owners, doctors, and lawyers are honest and stick to the law. I never said that. I said that if they try to charge Deaf clients for interpreting services and pad their invoice with that expense, then they are breaking the law.

Before you start laughing, you better read my posts more carefully.

See your post #165 and other post
Just because a doctor or lawyer wants to earn a profit (doesn't everyone?) it doesn't mean they are allowed to break the law. Those post, you make me laugh because the lawyers, business owners, etc are too smart and know how work out in their mind before they add in their bill.

I would say the same about you as well... I only talk about real situation in general way instead of talk about law etc.

Shopping around for bargains is one thing. Getting charged illegally for services is a totally different situation. No one should put up with that. The scofflaws should be reported.

Interesting, it´s up to business owners to decide what they do with their businesses. It´s up to us as customers/clients to decide which companies or whatever we can trust and agree with... We were being recommend to check with them for price offer first then fix the price on agreement contract... It´s the same as in other countries including America as well. My american co-workers told me that many Americans didn´t do that... They learn their lesson that they must check for price offer first before fix the price on agreement contract. We often do that with companies... They can´t try to "cheat" us because we agreed with price fixed before they do something for us...

America has regulations about professional services. Some professions have additional regulations that limit their charges.

Do you mean that the lawyer, doctors, etc can´t add price on goods, fee, etc what they want?

Doctors who receive Medicare and Medicaid payments have additional rules they must follow regarding their billing. They can't just willy-nilly add on charges and fees.

We have many different healthcare here in Germany... They offer different prices, fee, etc. I can estimate the % with different healthcares until I decide which healthcare I want... They have cons/pros... Healthcare accept the bills from the doctors/dentist what and how treatment they made for their patients (employees/unemployees/legal immgritants). We are being treat equal... Beauty surgery/comestic are not including. They all are obligate to cover the interpret costs for us only if I require Interpreter... I only request Interpreter for important things like agreement contract before surgery, result, etc... If doctor found out something wrong with me then he/she call healthcare to get interpreter for me.

I remember from threads that the people who carried Medicare and Medicaid in America, have the problem with some doctors and hosptial because they don´t like to see Medicare and Medicard... I was like :confused: until you explained me here... I understood clear now.

Colleges that accept Federal funds (such as VA, Pell grants, etc.) are also under additional regulation, and therefor must provide interpreters at no cost to the student.

Here in Europe, Government cover the interpret costs for deafies to anything, not lawyers, doctors, hospitail, etc.

Do you work with American interpreters under American laws? I don't think so. What experiences do you personally have using the ADA? When was the last time you used an American doctor or lawyer in America?

So you met American Deafies? So what? What does that prove about American laws? I used to own a German car and I took German language in high school but that doesn't make me an expert on German laws. :roll:

Do you mean that you are right and American deafies or co-workers are wrong?

Again, I am not interesting about law but real life experiences.

I accept what they have their own experiences and also accept what you have your own experience as well. I cannot say that you are wrong and they are right... That´s just you all receive different experiences...

firm will not pay if it's under the cost that is value over interpreter service.
here is source...

Doctors - National Association of the Deaf

if deaf don't know then they're sucker.

Thank you for provide this link. It sound interesting... I didn´t read this link property because I am tired and go bed soon... I will re-read those link property tomorrow.

Do you mean the priest acts as interpreter? That seems like a conflict of roles. Well, if you're satisfied with that, it's your business.

*scratch my head* Why we have priest for the deaf for? It´s their duty to interpret for us in church only -funerals, wedding, christening, etc. etc. If they don´t have free time for us so they order Interpreter from Agency for us... We have no problem for have priest for the deaf who interpet at church only. Sometimes priests have free time as private person to interpret for us at parental evening if Agency don´t have Interpreter for us...

That's your attitude, and you're entitled to it. But that isn't everyone's attitude. Most Deaf people that I know want to be able to communicate with hearing friends and family members at important religious occasions.

Do you mean that interpreter must be there for deafies at hearing world for 24hours a day in 7 days? I do not need interpreter with me at work everyday at hearies world because I can do it myself...

I only need interpreter for important/serious issues... I do not need interpreter because I can communicate with family doctor myself... something like that flu, etc. which not hard. It´s not just me but many Europeans as well... Healthcare don´t like to waste their money on Interpreter for little things. We all agree with them.

I would say that funerals are very important issues.

I would say that it´s not just funerals but surgeries, agreement contracts, serious health, parental conference, meeting, etc.. etc... etc...etc.

Lucky you.

:confused:

You don't use interpreters for funerals?

Yes I use interpreter for funerals. I don´t have to make list here but add "etc"... which mean funeral including.

See your post #165 and other post
Just because a doctor or lawyer wants to earn a profit (doesn't everyone?) it doesn't mean they are allowed to break the law. Those post, you make me laugh because the lawyers, business owners, etc are too smart and know how work out in their mind before they add in their bill.
I think I'd rather be naive than so cynical.

My experiences haven't been as negative as your's.

I would say the same about you as well... I only talk about real situation in general way instead of talk about law etc.
You're right; you don't know about American law.

...They can´t try to "cheat" us because we agreed with price fixed before they do something for us...
And you call me naive?! :lol:

Do you mean that the lawyer, doctors, etc can´t add price on goods, fee, etc what they want?
If they try to add illegal fees, then they will have to face the penalties.

...I remember from threads that the people who carried Medicare and Medicaid in America, have the problem with some doctors and hosptial because they don´t like to see Medicare and Medicard... I was like :confused: until you explained me here... I understood clear now.
I interpret for many, many Deaf consumers at hospitals and doctor offices, and they never pay one cent for the services. Many of the patients are on Medicare/Medicaid, and they get plenty of services.

Doctors might not "like" to see Medicare/Medicaid patients but they sure don't turn them down around here.

Do you mean that you are right and American deafies or co-workers are wrong?
I don't know. What did your American Deafies and co-workers say, exactly?

Again, I am not interesting about law but real life experiences.
I gave you the law AND real life experiences.

I accept what they have their own experiences and also accept what you have your own experience as well. I cannot say that you are wrong and they are right... That´s just you all receive different experiences...
People have different experiences, yes. But the law doesn't depend on experiences.

If someone says, "My experience was . . ." that's valid. But that's not the same as saying, "The law is . . . "

If someone says, "I drove thru a red light and no one stopped me", that's an experience. That's not the law. It's still against the law for someone to drive thru a red light. Just because they didn't get caught doesn't mean it was legal to do it.

*scratch my head* Why we have priest for the deaf for? It´s their duty to interpret for us in church only -funerals, wedding, christening, etc. etc.
If he is the priest, he is performing his religious duties, right? How can he interpret and perform his religious duties at the same time? If he's signing to the Deaf, then he doesn't need to interpret, right? I mean, he's signing directly to you, correct? He's not interpreting for a hearing priest, right?

We have Deaf pastors who sign directly with Deaf church members. They don't interpret.

We also have hearing pastors who speak, and they use interpreters to sign to the Deaf members.

If they don´t have free time for us so they order Interpreter from Agency for us...We have no problem for have priest for the deaf who interpet at church only. Sometimes priests have free time as private person to interpret for us at parental evening if Agency don´t have Interpreter for us...
Do you mean that signing priests freelance as interpreters?

Do you mean that interpreter must be there for deafies at hearing world for 24hours a day in 7 days?
Interpreters aren't attached to Deafies 24/7 but we are available 24/7, yes.

I do not need interpreter with me at work everyday at hearies world because I can do it myself...
I'm not referring to job situations. I'm talking about medical and emergency situations.

I only need interpreter for important/serious issues... I do not need interpreter because I can communicate with family doctor myself... something like that flu, etc. which not hard. It´s not just me but many Europeans as well... Healthcare don´t like to waste their money on Interpreter for little things. We all agree with them.
Whoopee-do for you and "many Europeans".

I never judge any Deafie who wants to have an interpreter present for any kind of medical appointment. You never know when a "simple" medical appointment can become serious in one minute, and how frightening that can be. Someone can go for a simple annual check-up and find out that he has stage 4 cancer. Oh, I guess the doctor can right a note, "Sorry, you've got only a few months left to live." Or an elderly Deaf couple can go to the doctor so the husband can get a "routine" heart stress test. During the test, the husband drops dead. The Deaf wife is sitting in the waiting room, unaware. Just send a nurse out there with a note, "Sorry, your husband is dead."

Yeah, right. :mad:

I would say that it´s not just funerals but surgeries, agreement contracts, serious health, parental conference, meeting, etc.. etc... etc...etc.
That's why interpreters are necessary for funerals.

Back