Why do people call America FREE when it's not?

firm will not pay if it's under the cost that is value over interpreter service.
here is source...

Doctors - National Association of the Deaf

if deaf don't know then they're sucker.

I read those link carefully.

I quote some from those link...

Do not hire your own interpreter and expect the doctor/health care provider to pay your interpreter for you. You may run into problems that way.

Interesting, Public Healthcare do not order interpreter for me but respect my wish to hire which interpreter, I feel comfortable and trust to. They still obligate to cover the interpreter cost no matter what.

If your doctor/health care provider tries to encourage you to bring in a signing family member or a friend as a way to "save costs", say no. Family members and friends cannot be expected to be neutral and sign everything they hear.

That's right. It's interesting to know that some doctor/health care provider tried to convince you to bring your family who can sign to save their costs.

To my opinion, I can understand that doctors don't like to pay extra out of their pocket for Interpret cost which it's not really their responsible but insurances/government.

I think I'd rather be naive than so cynical.

My experiences haven't been as negative as your's.

I do not see that I say anything about negative on my side here but talk logical issues in general way. Can you show me where have I say anything negative on my side here because I didn't find it?

Anyway, your post got me wondering...
Do you mean that you never have the problem or negative in your life? If yes, I have to beleive you when I know it's hard to believe that everyone never has the problem or negative in their life.

You're right; you don't know about American law.

For your information, I do know American law since I am registered to several American forums and also real life as well. What you think is not my problem. I guess that you didn't pay attention to their real experiences threads enough.

And you call me naive?! :lol:

:lol: If you cannot understand then I can't help you.

If they try to add illegal fees, then they will have to face the penalties.

Yes, that's right but some owners are too smart. :)

I interpret for many, many Deaf consumers at hospitals and doctor offices, and they never pay one cent for the services.

I never said that deaf clients/customers pay interpreter fee out of their pocket.

Many of the patients are on Medicare/Medicaid, and they get plenty of services.

Medicare/Medicaidi doesn't cover all of medical expenses, dental expense or the costs of most long-term care. Medicare/Medicaid patients doesn't get equal treatment as private insurers.

Doctors might not "like" to see Medicare/Medicaid patients but they sure don't turn them down around here.

I guess you should pay attention on ADer's posts in any threads bit more...

No wonder, some doctors handle Medicare/Medicaid patients unprofessional way that's because government and taxes pays and control them with costs.

Last edited:
I don't know. What did your American Deafies and co-workers say, exactly?

I posted in several threads in the past. I do not need to repeat my post here.

I gave you the law AND real life experiences.

Yes I accept anything what you post but I see you post most about law than real life experiences. I am talking about logical issues and you talk about law... I tried to tell you many times that the law and fact could be ignored sometimes, that's why I rather to talk about life experiences and logical issues.

People have different experiences, yes. But the law doesn't depend on experiences.

Yes I know so?

If someone says, "My experience was . . ." that's valid. But that's not the same as saying, "The law is . . . "

You and I talked different issues... You talked about the law and I talked about experiences and logical issues.

If someone says, "I drove thru a red light and no one stopped me", that's an experience. That's not the law. It's still against the law for someone to drive thru a red light. Just because they didn't get caught doesn't mean it was legal to do it.

We all know about the law and know how to not break our law etc for a long time. We do not need anyone's lecture. If I want to know about law then ask anyone for feedback, check at internet/question legal adviser or whatever.

We accept that we have some new law or change the law or improve the law etc. I would check if I am unsure about the law.

I accept the fact that the law/fact are not alway correct or true.

If he is the priest, he is performing his religious duties, right?

Yes

How can he interpret and perform his religious duties at the same time?

He speak with voice for hearing people.

If he's signing to the Deaf, then he doesn't need to interpret, right?

Correct because he can sign professional like interpreter.

I mean, he's signing directly to you, correct? He's not interpreting for a hearing priest, right?

Your post is bit confused... so I correct your post here...

He do not need hearing priest but himself... He can speak for hearing and sign for deaf people on same time.

Example about my wedding, we have hearing priest in area where I lived before move to live in Germany. He contact priest for deaf and found the priest who can sign and know both language German and English. The priest sign for us and deaf guests and speak English for English guests and turn into German and speak for German guests.

We have Deaf pastors who sign directly with Deaf church members. They don't interpret.

Yes I remember from met American Deaf Pastor with his family here in Germany years ago. We were very impressed about them because we don't have deaf pastor like him here in Germany. We have only hearing pastors who work together with deaf and can sign.

We also have hearing pastors who speak, and they use interpreters to sign to the Deaf members.

Yes, example about Danny's confirmation - we have hearing priest to speak for hearing people and we deaf have interpreter to do for us in the church.

Do you mean that signing priests freelance as interpreters?

Not really, they only did on emergencies if there're no interpreters around for me on emergencies issues on that same day. It's very rare... Priests are happy to have their time free for us voluntarily. They are not supposed to be as offical interpreter but they only attend at important meeting like at most school or parental evening.

Interpreters aren't attached to Deafies 24/7 but we are available 24/7, yes.

I'm not referring to job situations. I'm talking about medical and emergency situations.

Good.

Whoopee-do for you and "many Europeans".

I never judge any Deafie who wants to have an interpreter present for any kind of medical appointment. You never know when a "simple" medical appointment can become serious in one minute, and how frightening that can be. Someone can go for a simple annual check-up and find out that he has stage 4 cancer. Oh, I guess the doctor can right a note, "Sorry, you've got only a few months left to live." Or an elderly Deaf couple can go to the doctor so the husband can get a "routine" heart stress test. During the test, the husband drops dead. The Deaf wife is sitting in the waiting room, unaware. Just send a nurse out there with a note, "Sorry, your husband is dead."

Yeah, right. :mad:

We deal often like this before. It was like acceptance to us... until we learn about American way... and also learn from some threads... We were like wow... and blaffed... because we have been through emergency with or without interpreters... It doesn't count us... It was like okay to us... Example; the doctor told us without interpreter that my hubby's 90 years old Aunt died... (we take care of her for 4 years)... and explain us how she died etc.
We can request Interpreter if we want to but it's not necassary because we know how to deal with doctor due their good patience... but if there're serious result... (alway get result within 2 days after blood test, urine test, bowel test, etc.) If something wrong then call my healthcare insurance to contact Agency to request an interpreter and then fax me to go to see her immeidately on the same day. Due my experience, I request Interpreter for Agreement contract, serious issues, etc because surgery is very serious situation and make sure that I understand 100%.
Accord my son's head surgery at 2 years ago without interpreter, we communicate with the professor who deal with deafies a lot. It depend on our feeling either we want interpreter or not...
I know it sound shock to you but I guess that the people who lead different life in different cultures.

That's why interpreters are necessary for funerals.

Understandable!

Update about my co-worker.

I met her co-workers who work together with her at lunch today. Of course I asked them about this situation which I am unsure either I understand correct that use US spouse's car as private person is also illegal as well or not. They replied yes. I was total speechless... I told them that it make no sense because she own German driving licence and drive in Germany, not in America. They agreed with me and also surprised as well because they thought it's for duty person who must have US driving licensce to use US vehicle in Germany...

Accord US Army regulation, German who use her/his spouse's US car as private person must have US driving liecense... It is a "wake-up" call to many Germans who married US soliders. They told me that she is nervous breakdown and take sick leave... They don't know either she is back next week???? My co-worker is on 2 weeks leave annual and will be back next week then I will know more about this.

Anyway, your post got me wondering...
Do you mean that you never have the problem or negative in your life? If yes, I have to beleive you when I know it's hard to believe that everyone never has the problem or negative in their life.
I never said that. I've experienced many problems and negative situations that you'll never know about. I just prefer to not focus on negativity. I prefer to learn from problems and solve them. There's no benefit to whining or moping. It's better to keep a positive attitude and outlook.

For your information, I do know American law since I am registered to several American forums and also real life as well. What you think is not my problem. I guess that you didn't pay attention to their real experiences threads enough.
:rofl:

:lol: If you cannot understand then I can't help you.
:rofl:

Medicare/Medicaidi doesn't cover all of medical expenses, dental expense or the costs of most long-term care. Medicare/Medicaid patients doesn't get equal treatment as private insurers.
So? Some people don't even have private insurance. What does that have to do with interpreters? Deaf patients get interpreters whether they use Medicare or private insurance or no insurance at all. Insurance doesn't pay for interpreters, so Deaf patients don't need insurance for that.

I've seen some Medicare/Medicaid patients get even better service than private insurance patients. It depends on the doctor and hospital. There are good and bad at every level.

No wonder, some doctors handle Medicare/Medicaid patients unprofessional way that's because government and taxes pays and control them with costs.
I'm not saying it never happens but I've never seen the doctors use less respect or professionalism with the Medicare/Medicaid patients when I'm there. Maybe the doctors and nurses in South Carolina are more polite than other places. :dunno:

I posted in several threads in the past. I do not need to repeat my post here.
You said that your replies were "general". That is NOT the same as posting their exact words. I can't judge their words if they aren't available. So, I guess you're off the hook. You can say whatever you want without proof.

Yes I accept anything what you post but I see you post most about law than real life experiences. I am talking about logical issues and you talk about law... I tried to tell you many times that the law and fact could be ignored sometimes, that's why I rather to talk about life experiences and logical issues.
I guess you missed my previous post:

I posted, "I gave you the law AND real life experiences."

I give as many experiences as I can without revealing too much personal information.

You and I talked different issues... You talked about the law and I talked about experiences and logical issues.
I guess you missed my posts of personal experiences, even though I stated clearly several times that they were personal experiences. You see what you want to see.

We all know about the law and know how to not break our law etc for a long time. We do not need anyone's lecture. If I want to know about law then ask anyone for feedback, check at internet/question legal adviser or whatever.

We accept that we have some new law or change the law or improve the law etc. I would check if I am unsure about the law.

I accept the fact that the law/fact are not alway correct or true.
Huh? That doesn't relate to what I posted but whatever.

He speak with voice for hearing people.
OIC. He's not interpreting, he's using SIMCOM.

Your post is bit confused... so I correct your post here...

He do not need hearing priest but himself... He can speak for hearing and sign for deaf people on same time.
Got it. He's notinterpreting during the service, he's using SIMCOM.

We deal often like this before. It was like acceptance to us... until we learn about American way... and also learn from some threads... We were like wow... and blaffed... because we have been through emergency with or without interpreters... It doesn't count us... It was like okay to us...Example; the doctor told us without interpreter that my hubby's 90 years old Aunt died... (we take care of her for 4 years)... and explain us how she died etc.
We can request Interpreter if we want to but it's not necassary because we know how to deal with doctor due their good patience... but if there're serious result... (alway get result within 2 days after blood test, urine test, bowel test, etc.) If something wrong then call my healthcare insurance to contact Agency to request an interpreter and then fax me to go to see her immeidately on the same day. Due my experience, I request Interpreter for Agreement contract, serious issues, etc because surgery is very serious situation and make sure that I understand 100%.
Accord my son's head surgery at 2 years ago without interpreter, we communicate with the professor who deal with deafies a lot. It depend on our feeling either we want interpreter or not...
I know it sound shock to you but I guess that the people who lead different life in different cultures.
I'm glad that it worked out for you. I'm not "shocked".

I hope that you understand that your way doesn't work for everyone. Some people find notes delivering bad news to be cold. Also, for medical information, some Deaf people can't understand written notes. There are also some situations where note-writing can't happen. When someone is in pain, impatient, scared, upset, etc., sometimes note writing won't work. People deserve clear communication in these sensitive situations.

That's not theory; that's years of real life experience.

In England, they have weekly deaf allowance, free TTY & VP, free transportation, 24 hours subtitles (CC) etc which Germany, other countries, US doesn't.

What do you mean by TTY and VP?
No free transportation for the deaf. In some areas you don't even have free transportation for anyone. In some areas you can get a 'free' blind pass but you generally have to pay for it. In some areas that I lived in there were no free bus passes at all. You had to buy special tokens for the bus driver which was more of a hassle then paying with real money. Disabled people can get a rail pass but it's only a 3rd off. A recent one way journey from london to Taunton, then to Birmingham cost me over 50 pounds.

I can't read subtitles but I didn't have them when I was just deaf as my parents couldn't afford a TV with ceefax. They didn't subtitle everything anyway. The last time I checked (about 8 years ago) only a few programs are subtitles. certainly not Everything.

I never pay out of my pocket for an Interpreter in Australia.

Wow I'm moving to Australia. Here in Britian Interpreters are very expensive. I hired a terp over a year ago and it cost me over 50 pounds so after that I decide I can't afford terps but it means that going to things like meetings etc... would be very boring so I never attend them. I just go to activities like meals, rambling etc that don't require much interpretation and I communicate with people via block captials on my hand or my communication card. There are times when a terp would come in useful though.

Lucky British people to received extra money if they are working full time too

I don't think that deaf people are eligable for benifits if they work.

or buy a villa around Europe as their second Holiday Home!

As a deafblind person I don't do too badly as I manage without terps and don't use taxi's. However I know some deafblind who are struggling financially due to the high cost of terps etc... Mind you she's also got more animals then she can really afford.

I've not been abroad for years. Never mind buying a Villa. I'd spend it on a Braille display if I'd got it. As that, along with training is NOT being provided for.

Free Transport for the Deaf British if they live in London and Manchester only, I don't know if it apply to Birmingham in the Midlands or any other big cities. Nothing for the rural countries residents.

In Birmingham they had free transport for the blind. Nothing for the deaf as far as I know. That was withdrawn a few years ago but their was a major fight about it so we now have free travel again and don't even have to pay 17 pounds a year for the pass like I did for the first one I had.

Yes, subtitles is 24 hour showing

Since when? I didn't have ANY subtitles when I was just deaf. I did try to read subtitles at some point when part of my sight first returned with the help of magnification but it was very difficult and anyway there wasn't subtitles for everything I wanted to watch. I don't even have a TV now.

The deaf are jealous that the Blind people don't pay for the TV licences because they can't see it, (I am not sure if they pay half price for it - I don't care anyway), Deaf people are envious of blind people and they want their TV licence fee reduced to half price and its still on petition in my emails from the British people but I declined to get involved.

I think the Blind used to have to pay half price. I don't know if they have to pay anything or not but I don't like that Deaf compaire themselves with Blind and think we have a free ride because we don't. I have to pay for most devises to do with Blindness such as long cane, regular replacement tip for cane, Panasonic devise, monocular, braille embosser etc... My guide dog is free though. The guide dog association pay everything for her and have helped funding for expensive tecnology in the past. Also a charity did pay for my extra large print minicom. When it dies of Old age I'm not sure if they will pay for another one.

England looks after the Elderly's care very good

Don't know where you get that impression from. I don't know how the elderly are treated like in Australia but my uncle lives in Australia. He's over 70 and gets much better health care then my dad does. My dad says the elderly here in Britain are treated very badly. They often have to go into homes when they could manage to stay in sheltered accomodation if they got a little more help.

dreama, thank for point out, UK fellow.

well well well.. what's going on, Liebling?

What do you mean by TTY and VP?
No free transportation for the deaf. In some areas you don't even have free transportation for anyone. In some areas you can get a 'free' blind pass but you generally have to pay for it. In some areas that I lived in there were no free bus passes at all. You had to buy special tokens for the bus driver which was more of a hassle then paying with real money. Disabled people can get a rail pass but it's only a 3rd off. A recent one way journey from london to Taunton, then to Birmingham cost me over 50 pounds.

I can't read subtitles but I didn't have them when I was just deaf as my parents couldn't afford a TV with ceefax. They didn't subtitle everything anyway. The last time I checked (about 8 years ago) only a few programs are subtitles. certainly not Everything.

TTY (mincom) (sp) - they got it gratis... - they also have voice talk on mincom (sp)... VP (video phone) - I will find out from my friends soon since I learn from PowerON´s link about VP.

Opal & I mentioned in our previous posts that we aware that London are only one who have plenty of good advantage than outside of London... Opal & I have British friends who live in London & outside of London. We got the information from them. They feed their positive information to us, of course there´re some cons/pros in their information.

Yes, they have free transportation in London but I didn´t know about Manchester until I learn from Opal here.

Back 1980s, my parents cannot afford to buy TV with ceefax either... That´s time they don´t have ceefax much until they improve ceefax around 90s...

I have family who live in England, own TV with ceefax. Our last visit to see them in London last year... oh yes full subtitles inculding commericals and also meet my many old friends... They positive about disabities rights which is better than Germany. I learn from German "See and Hear" TV and question my British friends about this. Oh yes, they have positive things about deaf rights.

Like what I told you in previous post that I learn from my short sight friend who said that America for blind oganization is much better than England.

Wow I'm moving to Australia. Here in Britian Interpreters are very expensive. I hired a terp over a year ago and it cost me over 50 pounds so after that I decide I can't afford terps but it means that going to things like meetings etc... would be very boring so I never attend them. I just go to activities like meals, rambling etc that don't require much interpretation and I communicate with people via block captials on my hand or my communication card. There are times when a terp would come in useful though.

You can move to London. :) I would advise you to get more information about disabitliy rights in London.

I don't think that deaf people are eligable for benifits if they work.

Oh yes, they get deaf allowance no matter either they are worker or out of work.

As a deafblind person I don't do too badly as I manage without terps and don't use taxi's. However I know some deafblind who are struggling financially due to the high cost of terps etc... Mind you she's also got more animals then she can really afford.

I am surprised that you didn´t get right much in area where you live. It look like that deaf have more rights than blind which make no sense to me. Blind are suppose to get more rights than deaf. IMO

In Birmingham they had free transport for the blind. Nothing for the deaf as far as I know. That was withdrawn a few years ago but their was a major fight about it so we now have free travel again and don't even have to pay 17 pounds a year for the pass like I did for the first one I had.

It´s really sad that deaf don´t have any rights in your area.

Since when? I didn't have ANY subtitles when I was just deaf. I did try to read subtitles at some point when part of my sight first returned with the help of magnification but it was very difficult and anyway there wasn't subtitles for everything I wanted to watch. I don't even have a TV now.

Yes, we have subtitles for all what we like to watch... I was like wow... My last visit to England was last year.

I think the Blind used to have to pay half price. I don't know if they have to pay anything or not but I don't like that Deaf compaire themselves with Blind and think we have a free ride because we don't. I have to pay for most devises to do with Blindness such as long cane, regular replacement tip for cane, Panasonic devise, monocular, braille embosser etc... My guide dog is free though. The guide dog association pay everything for her and have helped funding for expensive tecnology in the past. Also a charity did pay for my extra large print minicom. When it dies of Old age I'm not sure if they will pay for another one.

Opal & I didn´t know much about deafies rights outside of London but we only know that they didn´t have many advantages as in London until you posted here about your area...

Don't know where you get that impression from. I don't know how the elderly are treated like in Australia but my uncle lives in Australia. He's over 70 and gets much better health care then my dad does. My dad says the elderly here in Britain are treated very badly. They often have to go into homes when they could manage to stay in sheltered accomodation if they got a little more help.

Due the respect, I would leave Opal to tell you herself what she know in real life.

Anyway, let me to share bit about me and Opal. We know each other since we were teenager. She lived out of London and I live in London. She was impressed when she saw that I have free transportation pass. She moved to share a apartment with me in London then she got transportation pass.

I noticed that disabitity rights are improve much better since Opal & I left England to live other countries in 80s.

I never said that. I've experienced many problems and negative situations that you'll never know about.
I appreciate that you admitted that you also have problems and negative situations in the past like everyone.

I just prefer to not focus on negativity. I prefer to learn from problems and solve them. There's no benefit to whining or moping. It's better to keep a positive attitude and outlook

Yes I second that. I do the same.

I don´t beleive in whine negative or focus negative... but solve them and think positive... or get positive feedback and information...

You can laugh whatever you want... It´s your attitude.. My attitude is different as you. I prefer to not laugh anyone who focus positive way. If any happeend to me, then I won´t laugh that´s why I prefer to not do that to anyone. If anyone who laugh over the people who focus postive way and think negative then is their uneducation and ignorant.

So? Some people don't even have private insurance. What does that have to do with interpreters? Deaf patients get interpreters whether they use Medicare or private insurance or no insurance at all. Insurance doesn't pay for interpreters, so Deaf patients don't need insurance for that.

It´s not just interpreter, I talk about but anything in general.

You said that your replies were "general". That is NOT the same as posting their exact words. I can't judge their words if they aren't available. So, I guess you're off the hook. You can say whatever you want without proof.

It´s bad that you didn´t pay attention to any posters enough.

I guess you missed my posts of personal experiences, even though I stated clearly several times that they were personal experiences. You see what you want to see.

I didn´t forget that you have some personal experiences in several threads. I were there to support you. I find sad that you forget quickly.

OIC. He's not interpreting, he's using SIMCOM.

Got it. He's notinterpreting during the service, he's using SIMCOM.

Can you care to explain what is an abbreviation word for SIMCOM?

I'm glad that it worked out for you. I'm not "shocked".

I hope that you understand that your way doesn't work for everyone. Some people find notes delivering bad news to be cold. Also, for medical information, some Deaf people can't understand written notes. There are also some situations where note-writing can't happen. When someone is in pain, impatient, scared, upset, etc., sometimes note writing won't work. People deserve clear communication in these sensitive situations.

That's not theory; that's years of real life experience.

Yes I respectfully understand.

I would request an interpreter for important and serious issues.

Dreama, I forget to add one more...

My Scottish Aunt have free transportation for senior in Scotland but I has no idea about deaf or blind rights in Scotland.

My British deaf friends, Scottish Aunt, hubby & I including our children were on the bus in London last year. She told us that she has free transportation for senior only. She has no idea about deaf disabled in Scotland.

My friend who have short sight (she died at years ago) and have many advantages than deaf... until I read your post... I am surprised that there´re many negative over disablitiy rights in your area. It look like that Birimingham are the one who have disadvantages...? I would suggest you to search the information then you will know more...

You can laugh whatever you want... It´s your attitude.. My attitude is different as you. I prefer to not laugh anyone who focus positive way.
That's a weird thing for you to say. My one :rofl: was in reply to your :lol: at me. I guess it's OK for you to laugh at and mock me but I can't do the same.

If any happeend to me, then I won´t laugh that´s why I prefer to not do that to anyone. If anyone who laugh over the people who focus postive way and think negative then is their uneducation and ignorant.
Then I wonder why you laugh at me in your posts? Oh, well.

Back