whos that hot chick?

The Straight Dope: What's the origin of French fries?

France. :)

And so we arrive at your question. For also in the 1840s, pomme frites ("fried potatoes") first appeared in Paris. Sadly, we don't know the name of the ingenious chef who first sliced the potato into long slender pieces and fried them. But they were immediately popular, and were sold on the streets of Paris by push-cart vendors.

Frites spread to America where they were called French fried potatoes. You asked how they got their name--pretty obvious, I'd say: they came from France, and they were fried potatoes, so they were called "French fried potatoes." The name was shortened to "french fries" in the 1930s.

By the way, the verb "to french" in cooking has come to mean to cut in long, slender strips, and some people insist that "french fries" come from that term. However, the French fried potato was known since the middle 1800s, while the OED cites the first use of the verb "to french" around 1895, so it appears pretty convincing that "french fried potatoes" came before the verb "frenching." The origin of the name is thus the country of origin French and not the cooking term french.

but then again its might come down to different oils for frying and different kinds of potatoes, like processed/mashed/extruded as chilled...vs real potatoes actaully chopped...?

It never ceases to amaze me how threads here can get completely turned around from where they started!

It never ceases to amaze me how threads here can get completely turned around from where they started!

:lol:

Conversations usually flow from one subject to another.

Any one cares to get back on topic is more than welcome to.

I agree the girl looks too thin.

I agree, I like my girls with a little meat on them...

errr... I mean girl (because girls would just be wrong... right?) :naughty: :laugh2:

USA is the only country where I get called skinny and even anorexic. I'm normal weight everywhere else.

I rather be called skinny and/or anorexic so i dont have to worry about watching out what to eat on a daily basis. =X Can't help it! :shock:

I rather be called skinny and/or anorexic so i dont have to worry about watching out what to eat on a daily basis. =X Can't help it! :shock:

It's possible some women are skinny because they do watch what they eat :)

It's because I'm a vegan that I'm slim. It's actually a challenge to eat enough calories.

It's possible some women are skinny because they do watch what they eat :)

It's because I'm a vegan that I'm slim. It's actually a challenge to eat enough calories.

I do watch what to eat but its no fun. I do eat meat though. i have a sweet tooth. that's problem.
:(

Skinny? Fat? Too thin? Average? I thought beauty was supposed to be within...isn't that the purpose of beauty pageants? No wonder she's too thin...trying to measure up to everyone's standards. I hope she doesn't read this thread, whoever she is.

tsk, tsk, tsk.

I like to eat everything that is virtually bad for you.

Sugar, carbs, the works.

If it is healthy for you, I don't like it. I'm cursed!!!! :pissed:

Let first tell you, I have arms that skinny and I find it not only rude, but terribly ignorant to call anyone slim or skinny anorexic, even as a joke.

I wear a size 0, and you have no idea how many times a day I get "You look anorexic" comment. So seeing it here really bothers me. :/

I know a posted a picture of me from the chest up, so it wasn't really clear of my size, but here's a picture illustrating my point. I'm this size naturally (I'm the one in green in the middle):

154421_471086372249_792597249_5622305_1374012_n.jpg

Yes, this is the internet, and you can say whatever you want, but at least give it some thought before going, "She needs more meat on her bones."

Back