Who went to public school or deaf school?

*Starfish87*

Reaction score
I went to deaf oral school for about 13 years, then went to public middle school for one year, after that, went to public high school for four years.

I went to hearing school with an interpreter. We had only one deaf class that our teacher help us about english and reading. I thank my parent for send me hearing school so I can learn about hearing world and learn how write to hearing people.

I attended a state deaf school as a day student. My experience at the deaf school wasn't a positive one.

Public school. Mainstream program. I was not happy.

Public school and mainstreamed all the way. It sucked..

Public school all the way... Had deaf program in mainstream from preschool to 2nd grade. Yet from 3rd grade to 12th grade, solo entire way. Had interpreter and got education. Now paying the price of catching up social life.

Public school all the way, I had to reteach myself the material I was not able to hear, but I made it both in HS and college!

Public school - completely mainstreamed. Hated every bloody minute of it.

Started out in the deaf school, then mainstreamed into a public school (actual "inclusion"), then ended up back at the deaf school and graduated.

Going to public school was tramatic and an awful experience for me. Going to a deaf school was one of the most awesome experiences I've had.

In pre-school, it was an all-deaf class. When I entered in kindergarten, the students from preschool along me went to a hearing school (and was still an all-deaf class). That remained throughout until I was in 3rd grade and went to the deaf school. So, I've been in the deaf school from 3rd grade until my junior year and went to the hearing school for like 2 months. It was miserable and I wasn't happy. I returned to the deaf school in the middle of my junior year and remained there until I graduated.

I went to both. Wyoming School for the Deaf was for grades k-6, and we went over to the adjacent elementary school for a few classes with an interpreter. Most of the time we were at the deaf school though. Was usually at the elementary school for gym class, art, and math, but I've done english/reading and science at the elementary school too. Grades 7-12 students either were sent out of state to a deaf school or were mainstreamed in public schools.

I went to a hearing school when i was in the first,2nd,3rd grade, I was in hearing schools in kindergarden and preschool. after the 3rd grade I went to St.Ritas school for the deaf. I didn't really like it there because I had to get up 5:30 every morning because it was 2 hrs away from home and I get home around 6pm late in the evening. So i moved back to hearing schools and i think i'm going to stick with hearing schools for awhile with an interpreter. i promise :roll:

Public school - completely mainstreamed. Hated every bloody minute of it.

Yep, I hated every minute of it too but I didnt know it at the time. LOL!

I went to public school for most of my life. I did go to a deaf institute for a few years until I was 5 years old and moved to another state where I went to public school. :)

I went to public school until I joined CSDF in middle school to high school then graduated there.

I went to hearing school with an interpreter. We had only one deaf class that our teacher help us about english and reading. I thank my parent for send me hearing school so I can learn about hearing world and learn how write to hearing people.

Interesting!

What about contact deaf world? You are alone to involve with hearing students... How do you feel the difference when you involve with hearing and deaf people?

Back