Who else doesn't like digital hearing aids?

my hearing audiologist was surprised when I told him I wanted a HA in another other color instead of beige. I guess he think I am too old to be wearing a red HA!

LOL cool colored hearing aids are like the fashion statement now! :)

I much prefer digital aids. It's easier for an audiologist to tune it exactly to my needs. It also means that I can go to many NHS hospitals and they will be able to access my data for my aid, thus making replacement quick and easy wherever I am.

my hearing audiologist was surprised when I told him I wanted a HA in another other color instead of beige. I guess he think I am too old to be wearing a red HA!

I once asked for a grey one. Had a choice out of beige, brown and grey. I thought grey was cool until I realised that they're intended for old people with grey hair!

I don't like my aid to stand out too much so I'd never get anything vibrant, but I think black or silver would be cool.

I much prefer digital aids. It's easier for an audiologist to tune it exactly to my needs. It also means that I can go to many NHS hospitals and they will be able to access my data for my aid, thus making replacement quick and easy wherever I am.

I once asked for a grey one. Had a choice out of beige, brown and grey. I thought grey was cool until I realised that they're intended for old people with grey hair!

I don't like my aid to stand out too much so I'd never get anything vibrant, but I think black or silver would be cool.

Yeah, silver would be cool too! I saw a person wearing silver HA , i like the one with the animals prints but they are not strong enough for me. The HA look nothing like a HA, it's real tiny and has very little ear mold.
A company in Denmark came up a HA for baby boomers that never wore HA . The company think there is a gold mine in making designer HA for baby boomers .

I tried digital and really hate it. The sounds aren't crisp and clear. It sounded as if someone is mumbling instead of talking.

I had some digital HA that had a little light on them to let you know when the
battery was getting low. I liked that , the HA I have now made an awful sound when the battery is getting low. I was driving once and the battery started making that awful sound , I had to take my HA out.

The digital one I'm wearing says in a male voice with a soft chime "low battery" It's cool but sometimes startles me if I'm by myself lol.

I'm wearing Starkey RIC (the $2,500 one... the other one that's $1,500 to me sounds crappy) and its very clear to me. I don't have nearly as much feedback as I did with my old analog one.... gotta try to dig that one out and see what brand that one is. Plus changing the volume with my cell phone is a bonus :D

i missed the analogue HA's yes they have quite a number of 'faults' like feedbacks, dragging in all the "noises" while digital seems to do two things at once, "deadenining 'unwatned noises' but making 'some environmental noises more discernable, weird and i dont even know HOW they figure this out (granted thats the "idea" of digital aids it runs a similar priniciples as for "processors" which controls CI's...but instead if electrodes its "speakers" amplifications.. but all in all i suspect digital aids contributed to my tinnitus, since the brain is 'scrambled" to deciphter some of the "artifical noises" which HEARING people attempts to "provide (digital) HAs that reconstructs "sounds" to be as so how "they hear it". In theory is great, and works in short-medium term, but i strong suspect (depending on how "deaf we are" and "how we hear or how we learned to understand what we "heard", like being colour blinded, we get taught what is blue or green and they see some borderline blue=ish/greenish colour then our brain scrambled we dont notice it untill we talk about it with one another, finding out they see it green when we see it blue...this sort of analogy seem to occur with sounds...

ok back from the "long winded" explanation, im saying I dislike digital aids now (but at same time i am unsure if id like analog now because i have been to accoustomed to the digitalised environmental sounds! (they is on brand that they STILL makes Excellent analgue "UNITRON"
so dont get your "local audis" bullshit you, or that they dont know since they are representative of certain "available aids in the region" the marketing area of this hearing aids appartus is beyond me, not because its "complex" but because it is held back in secrecy due to whatever state/national policy allowing who to sell aids...i arent even sure what im saying here to be honest, im just wording out my hunch..
but back to the analog vs digital , i reckon its a waste of resources to make digital aids (all that time /effort while the instrumental precision in terms of components in making aids have improved with digital innovation, i mean ironically it made the production for analog aids so much better as well!..(ok ok , some older aids were more durable, hard wearing, I still have the first gen widex, it was tough aid inside the amplifcation performance's level but the volume 'swtich' (in stead the nice traditional dial for volume' were utter crap , broke easily...this whole inside-out plus and minuses of their way HA's are made have confused a good lot of us, which i think to me, was irresponsible even unethical for HA manufacturers to "cheat/decieve" us on the question of "quality" to be really clear here, im talking about sound quality versus built quality of the actual Aids, "robustness and the hard-wearing of aids to performance long hour/years to give decent amplfications without fail or decline of crispness over time:
again the deception of "qualiy" as i have outline above, i shall point out is that it seems to pave way for us "to accept" the quality of built in CI's AND sound reproduction...
i find this really annoying, hell even so i dont have CI (i still will refuse to have one) and at that many will say im full of rubbish that i dont know what im talking about, but i will gladly to say i disagree and stand my ground, but like all im saying is, the decline of digital aids quality shouldn't be an excuse for them (ha/CI makers whether they agreed to or not i dont know, cant comment) to make HA go entirely digital and/or make all AIDs in future to be replaced with CI, if so, i would find this quite disgusting.
I WANT my analogue Oticon back!, it was great, but hmmm my tinnitus might get worse now cuz of the freakn digitals!..That is my simple statement i wish to add to thir thread. thanks for reading if you got this far lol and i wonder and hope im not the only one with this particular "quality questions" that i raised here....hmm
anyways..cheers

when I had digital, I found it very hard to listen to musics. Same with cochlear implant which is basically like digital. I rather have analog for that, it does well with music. That's just my opinion.

I agree on this, but found that my old oticon digital do better with music compared to 2010 models, those latest ones suck at music. Did you try to listen to music with some neck loop or bluetooth, the music is way better than if you listen to it with just hearing aid itself

me 2, I want purple instead of beige since cool colors are "in" this season! :D

There is something call skinit or similar, you can cover the hearing aid with it and choice so many colors, pictures, very cool, they may do custom skin, they have same for CI

Wirelessly posted

Fl885 said:
when I had digital, I found it very hard to listen to musics. Same with cochlear implant which is basically like digital. I rather have analog for that, it does well with music. That's just my opinion.

I agree on this, but found that my old oticon digital do better with music compared to 2010 models, those latest ones suck at music. Did you try to listen to music with some neck loop or bluetooth, the music is way better than if you listen to it with just hearing aid itself

Yes. You can hook your CI processor to a headphone jack outlet or whatever you call it. It sound nicer but not everything have that like concerts. It's hard to listen to your own singing because of the background. My audio gave me a music program and it was the worst program ever even for music. I've been meaning to go back to have it remapped until our wired collie chewed up my freedom processor. I took it off to air out and my son wanted to play with his dog and got the dog all frisky. He grab things and run off like a gingerbread man when he gets like that.

I wear 2 digital aids ( Beltone Prima 2000) and even though they enhance the frequencies and make sounds clearer, it's still amplification and I hate the "plugged ear" feeling and I wish I didn't have to wear them. But as a musician, I don't really have a choice because I can't hear much without them. I guess they're a necessary evil. :)

Wirelessly posted

Yes. You can hook your CI processor to a headphone jack outlet or whatever you call it. It sound nicer but not everything have that like concerts. It's hard to listen to your own singing because of the background. My audio gave me a music program and it was the worst program ever even for music. I've been meaning to go back to have it remapped until our wired collie chewed up my freedom processor. I took it off to air out and my son wanted to play with his dog and got the dog all frisky. He grab things and run off like a gingerbread man when he gets like that.

I had a laugh about this.. Just the way you worded it got me :giggle: All seriousnes that sucks those processor's arent cheap.

There is a "Phonak Super-Front PP-C-4 Hearing Aid" currently for sale on eBay from Clinton, USA. 5 days to go.

There is a "Phonak PICS Remote Control" currently for sale on eBay from Lynchburg, USA. 3 days to go. This would suit an old Sonoforte 332x AZ analogue Hearing Aid.

Back